help needed, wrt32x can not go bac to stock linksys firmware

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Marvell MVEBU based Hardware (WRT1900AC etc.)
dan-wrt32x
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2021 17:54    Post subject: help needed, wrt32x can not go bac to stock linksys firmware Reply with quote
i accidently installed dd-wrt on both partion of my wrt32x 3200acm. i want to go back on one of the partition but not able to.

i tried the solution poste couple years ago on
https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=316094&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

using the mtd method. and i almost bricked the router good chance i only did the method on:
mtd -e linux2 -r write /tmp/venom.img linux2

i used the flat venon img on https://download1.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv2/downloads/betas/2021/01-01-2021-r45229/linksys-wrt32x/

after rebooting i tryed to upgrade with gui to put the original linksys img. wich is FW_WRT32X_1.0.180404.58.img

but i did not work so i tried again the mtd method with the image from linksys and this is where i got the power light flashing.

now i booted back on the dd-wrt partition using switch method and upgraded from gui so now i am back to square 1

with partion 1 with dd-wrt r44863 and partion 2 with r45229.

what is the venom img that i should use

thanks in advancce
Sponsor
blkt
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2021 19:28    Post subject: Reply with quote
Well, you are the first I have found who actually tried one of these flat images in the betas folders.

Before the betas flat images appeared, there were a few others but in particular this one by adi-brasov.

It's properly converted from the official linksys firmware to a flat file. flat-FW_WRT32X_1.0.180404.58.img

I talked about it on page 3 of the WRT32X back to stock Firmware thread. Have a USB to TTL serial cable?
dan-wrt32x
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2021 19:59    Post subject: Reply with quote
no dont have any cable and did not want to open router to souder an adapteur.

i was sure i there was a work aroud. should i try with the image you posted.
blkt
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2021 20:01    Post subject: Reply with quote
People have had success via the method you describe, but always good to have a serial cable in advance.

Or, just don't nuke both partitions lol.

If booting into the stock firmware is problematic, hold the reset button for 10 seconds.

Don't want to mix up configs anyway. Both partitions share the same configuration space or settings location.
dan-wrt32x
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2021 20:14    Post subject: Reply with quote
i will try it et let know if it works

thanks for the file
blkt
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2021 20:45    Post subject: Reply with quote
Be sure to rename the file to venom.img and also I notice your mtd command has -r for reboot.

Not really a problem, but this is unnecessary as you will need to change partitions and reboot anyway.

mtd -e linux2 write /tmp/venom.img linux2

ubootenv set boot_part 2

reboot
dan-wrt32x
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2021 21:13    Post subject: Reply with quote
that was it , now it's working i had wrong flat venom.img

thank you very much.
dan-wrt32x
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2021 22:03    Post subject: Reply with quote
i thank you very much,

i am very new at this forum . sorry i dont know what to do from her with my post.

the reason i wanted to go back to the original firmware, is to test the wifi speed

i got an upgrade from my isp to 1 gig. and on r45229 the maximum i could get when on wifi is 104 down and 121 up.

of course i tested with wire and i get 980 down and 960 up.

after being able to restore original firmware from linksys

re tested the wifi. and i get way better
373 down and 369 up.

both wifi were done on the 5 GHz/802.11ac

does anyone have a clue on why it's faster on stock firmware than on the dd-wrt one

pretty sure it's a setting but dont know which one.

thanks
blkt
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2021 22:14    Post subject: Reply with quote
This is difficult to answer because I have no idea about your region, current or past configurations.

Never use auto channel. Channel Width, Save, Extension Channel, Save, Wireless Channel, Save. Reboot.

This router can be problematic with the wrong settings combined with your specific client devices.

Some fall back to build r44048 to use different wifi driver and binaries.

It's probably time to do a little research, then start a new topic or thread about it.
dan-wrt32x
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2021 22:22    Post subject: Reply with quote
yes i am all in auto channel, i went ahead and chose CANADA in Regulatory Domain.

i guess i need to dig up for more info to match the wifi config of the stock firmware

thanks
blkt
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2021 22:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

For example, channel selection 80 Mhz 36+UU or 149+UU (more width certainly is not always better).

Wiki is long-winded, but should describe any setting: Basic Settings, Advanced Settings, Qualcomm Atheros.

Setup -> Basic Setup: Scroll all the way down to set Time Zone, but leave the Server IP/Name field blank.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Marvell MVEBU based Hardware (WRT1900AC etc.) All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: