VoIP management problem (Cisco ATA 122).

Frakko
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2020 13:08    Post subject: VoIP management problem (Cisco ATA 122). Reply with quote
Good morning,
i bought a Cisco ATA 122 to use 2 VoIP lines. Unfortunately if I proceed to put it protected by DD-Wrt the lines don't work.
One does not register with the provider the other, although registering, the LED is on, it does not work. I tried to connect the cisco directly to the modem and it goes. I use both a TpLink 841 and a NetGear R7000 but with both the problem occurs. I put the cisco in DMZ and deactivated the firewalla but the situation doesn't change. Can you give me some advice to overcome the problem Question
Thanks.
Sponsor
Per Yngve Berg
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2020 14:27    Post subject: Reply with quote
You provably have to enable UPNP.
Frakko
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2020 15:08    Post subject: Reply with quote
No, upnp is disabled.

1_209.png
 Description:
Upnp
 Filesize:  106.98 KB
 Viewed:  1656 Time(s)

1_209.png

msoengineer
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2020 16:22    Post subject: Reply with quote
You didn't provide enough information to help out, so this is why you haven't seen much help. You also didn't follow the rules for picture size; which I already fixed for you. It needs to be a maximum of 768 pixels wide; otherwise, you break how the forums appear.

Back on topic-
You need to determine which Service Ports and Firewall Information need to be open/forwarded in the dd-wrt gui to the Cisco ATA 122 based on whoever is your voip provider. They should have an advanced settings area on their site which talks about what ports to open up in the firewall to the cisco ata 122.

And next time be more patient and don't post junk in the SVN looking for help. That's a good way to alienate anyone from wanting to further help you. You're issue is not a bug; rather, a settings issue that you need to figure out by doing some more reading.

enabling uPnP might fix your issue, or may not. Try toggling that first and apply settings & reboot the router.

You need to give us more info about your internet connection. I am guessing you are using a DSL line from you ISP which means your DSL modem will need to be set to bridge mode so you aren't performing double NAT; further complicating your setup and issue.

TIPS/TRICKS: Best QCA Wifi Settings | Latency tricks | QoS Port priority | NEVER USE MU-MIMO |
Why to NOT use MU-MIMO | Max Wifi Pwr by Country | Linux Wifi Pwr | AC MCS & AX MCS | QCA 5Ghz chnls to use | WIFI Freq WIKI | TFTP R7800 | Don't buy AX | IPERF3 How-To

[R9000]52396 nightly (Main Router)
[EA8500]43192 & 45493 (2xOffsite)
[R7800] resting
[WDR3600]BS 44715 (Offsite)
[A7v5]BS 43038 (Offsite+spare napping)
Frakko
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2020 17:55    Post subject: Reply with quote
I see, sorry. I wonder: if I put the CIsco ATA 122 in dmz it shouldn't work Question I tried but it still gets blocked. It's normal Question Could it be the problem of the eventual double NAT Question
See you.
msoengineer
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2021 0:43    Post subject: Reply with quote
Please answer my original question, are you using a dsl modem/router combo device?

I can only assume based on your answer that you do have a DSL modem and indeed you are double-natting; so, more than likely your modem is blocking your VoIP. Therefore, you need to request your modem to be put into bridge mode by your ISP so that you can use a secondary router so that your VoIP will work without any issues. You might be able to gain access to the modem GUI, and be able to put the modem into bridge mode yourself; however, it's a 50/50 chance because many isp's lock out the ability to change stuff inside the modem.

TIPS/TRICKS: Best QCA Wifi Settings | Latency tricks | QoS Port priority | NEVER USE MU-MIMO |
Why to NOT use MU-MIMO | Max Wifi Pwr by Country | Linux Wifi Pwr | AC MCS & AX MCS | QCA 5Ghz chnls to use | WIFI Freq WIKI | TFTP R7800 | Don't buy AX | IPERF3 How-To

[R9000]52396 nightly (Main Router)
[EA8500]43192 & 45493 (2xOffsite)
[R7800] resting
[WDR3600]BS 44715 (Offsite)
[A7v5]BS 43038 (Offsite+spare napping)
Frakko
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2021 18:05    Post subject: Reply with quote
Well, in this configuration, the mobile phone is connected in tethering to a TpLink 850RE which then brings the internet, via the eth, to the dd-wrt router.
It is probable that the 850RE does the nat only that I have not found, for the moment, a way to switch to bridge with this device, I am afraid that there is not.
https://static.tp-link.com/res/down/doc/TL-WA850RE(EU)_V2_UG.pdf
Sorry but if I put VoIP in dmz the IP of the Cisco ATA 122 is not exposed directly and therefore the first NAT is disabled for the Cisco?
feliciano
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2021 19:01    Post subject: Reply with quote
For VoIP behind a NAT there is always the risk of handling over the private IP address instead of the public IP address inside the SIP(SDP) packets, therefore, depending on where is your VoIP proxy server (local or remote) it may work or not. For this reason, workarounds like STUN or milkfish were created. I sugest you dig further into that and check whether it can apply to your case.
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 5:56    Post subject: Reply with quote
Is there a quick way to check and fix this problem Question
A practical method.
Thank you.
feliciano
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 17:28    Post subject: Reply with quote
I assume you're using an external VoIP provider using SIP and RTP protocols. When you say it's not working behind the router, do you mean is not registering? or do you mean it register but cannot dial? or do you mean it register and dial but don't ringback or not ring-in? or is establishing the call but cannot hear the other party? Those are different failure scenarios.

For start, check whether is a STUN or TURN tab/field at the ATA's config web page. If so, check which IP addresses servers are enabled for your VoIP provider, or use a public STUN server. Then reboot and wait. It that doesn't work, try to grab some logs to debug what's going on, or connect your computer in parallel via an ethernet hub (not a switch) or use the mangle table of the dd-wrt firewall to enable capture the VoIP packets of your concern with your computer and Wireshark, and post some digest of that.

You can also check with a softphone on your computer. and figure out whether some configuration on the VoIP side need adjustement.

Or if you have a broadcom dd-wrt router you can look for a VoIP build and enable and setup milkfish as a proxy for your ATA.

DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2021 7:12    Post subject: Reply with quote
This type of testing takes a long time, unfortunately I don't have time. At the moment I leave everything as it is and do some tests with the firmware that will come and, if it happens, with some other dd-wrt router. Maybe in the next firmware, thanks to my report, it could be that VoIP performance improves. Thanks anyway.. Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> General Questions All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: