General issue regarding the forum

Taviman
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2020 12:37    Post subject: General issue regarding the forum Reply with quote
Hy
I am barely a beginner with dd-wrt but I faced a situation where I thought I bricked my router.
I was struggling for 2 weeks, thinking how I was wrong. I had downloaded the "dreaded 40559" and installed on a Archer c9, because it is the last version in "Router Database"
When I asked for help, the Guru scolded for using the "Router Database" and for using that specific build

Fortunately, he had in his signature the answer to my problems - Chromium browsers. It worked with Internet Explorer and that was it

Or so I thought
Later, I found many other users like me struggling with the same build, and guess why? Because it appears loud and clear in the first place any normal being goes to test compatibility - the "Router Database". But no, you are suppose to brick the device then head for the forums and try to repair it.

I wonder, why is it that a bad build (it wasn't so bad for me), isn't marked accordingly, why in Router DB there isn't any direction how to do the upgrade properly
Instead, people constantly get scolded because they haven't read the entire forum contents, the wiki's and so on

I am not a complete noob with IT, but I do not enjoy it. For me the damn router is a tool. The support on the forum is pretty damn lousy

Can anyone, please update the "Router database" info, and moderate the attitude? We are not children here
Sponsor
Alozaros
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2020 13:19    Post subject: Reply with quote
When i was new, i did a visit to RDB and have found various firmwares, than i went to the forum, read the guidelines, than i went to wiki, spent some time there, reading understanding the matter...than read the new build threads and realised, that there ware newer firmware versions, than those in router database (RDB) ...
Than went back to installation instructions and read them again, bit by bit in details...so, i was aware what im doing and how to unbrick my device in case of a bad flash...

I do not understand, what is called 'noob' - those one that rush to find what ever is posted in RDB, do not spend any time reading/searching, understanding the matter and after a bad flash, they complain its someone else fault and they grab the straw while they drawn...? Is this called a "noob" ? Rolling Eyes

TP-Link WR1043NDv2 -Gargoyle OS 1.15.x AP,DNS,QoS,Quotas
Qualcomm-Atheros
Netgear XR500 --DD-WRT 55460 Gateway/DoH,Forced DNS,AP Isolation,4VLAN,Ad-Block,Firewall,Vanilla
Netgear R7800 --DD-WRT 55460 Gateway/DoT,AD-Block,Forced DNS,AP&Net Isolation,x3VLAN,Firewall,Vanilla
Netgear R9000 --DD-WRT 55363 Gateway/DoT,AD-Block,AP Isolation,Firewall,Forced DNS,x2VLAN,Vanilla
Broadcom
Netgear R7000 --DD-WRT 55460 Gateway/SmartDNS/DoH,AD-Block,Firewall,Forced DNS,x3VLAN,VPN
NOT USING 5Ghz ANYWHERE
------------------------------------------------------
Stubby DNS over TLS I DNSCrypt v2 by mac913
egc
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2020 13:24    Post subject: Reply with quote
Unfortunately nobody on this forum controls the router database.

Forum guidelines can be found on multiple places which warn not to use the router database but that is all we can do.

So do not shoot the messenger.

https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=324087

Forum Guide Lines (important read):https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=324087
Taviman
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2020 13:57    Post subject: Reply with quote
Alozaros wrote:
When i was new, i did a visit to RDB and have found various firmwares, than i went to the forum, read the guidelines, than i went to wiki, spent some time there, reading understanding the matter...than read the new build threads and realised, that there ware newer firmware versions, than those in router database (RDB) ...
Than went back to installation instructions and read them again, bit by bit in details...so, i was aware what im doing and how to unbrick my device in case of a bad flash...

I do not understand, what is called 'noob' - those one that rush to find what ever is posted in RDB, do not spend any time reading/searching, understanding the matter and after a bad flash, they complain its someone else fault and they grab the straw while they drawn...? Is this called a "noob" ? Rolling Eyes

Where is stated clearly the Chromium Issue?
Also, I can flash a new firmware via TFTP but It still loads the old one. This is not covered anywhere.
I read, watched YT tutorials and dug for 2 weeks until I posted the request on the forum and got the issue fixed. I didn't post earlier because I was confident I could solve it myself, but also because I noticed the forum mods were not that friendly

I also have very little time to document, I have 2 small children and a fulltime job. So I had to do the debugging either at 6am or after 11pm.

I am most likely not the target audience. However, I think it is necessary that everybody feels welcomed and respected

Sorry for the long rant.
Merry Christmas, everybody
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2020 14:14    Post subject: Reply with quote
We had a disclaimer added to the router database landing page, it has been overlooked. Nearly every supported router has a link to information specific to the router, which usually includes upgrade instructions. Sorry for scolding you, but when you have people almost daily coming to the forum with the same 'problem' over a year later, it gets a little frustrating.
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (PolitePol)
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (RSS Everything)

----------------------
Linux User #377467 counter.li.org / linuxcounter.net
egc
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2020 14:22    Post subject: Reply with quote
@Taviman, of course it is our "duty" to make everybody feel welcome.

Sorry to hear that we did not succeed in your case Sad

But the router database is a frustrating problem we do not control.

Other than writing in the forum guidelines which we hope that users will read those if they come to the forum, not much else we can do.

and yes the problem with Chrome and Chromium based browsers is noted in the forum guidelines.

Forum Guide Lines (important read):https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=324087
Taviman
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2020 14:38    Post subject: Reply with quote
kernel-panic69 wrote:
We had a disclaimer added to the router database landing page, it has been overlooked. Nearly every supported router has a link to information specific to the router, which usually includes upgrade instructions. Sorry for scolding you, but when you have people almost daily coming to the forum with the same 'problem' over a year later, it gets a little frustrating.

It is in our nature to skip lines and jump to the end
As egc said, it is a frustrating problem, but it is for everybody
Anyway, I realize you must be doing this work in spare time and I thank you for your work.
Just please remember the rest of us we are not really at your level of expertise Wink
egc
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2020 14:42    Post subject: Reply with quote
Taviman wrote:
kernel-panic69 wrote:

Anyway, I realize you must be doing this work in spare time and I thank you for your work.
Just please remember the rest of us we are not really at your level of expertise Wink

Noted!

Alozaros
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2020 17:52    Post subject: Reply with quote
Taviman wrote:

Yep we are friendly and love to help...
But, its not in our nature to skip lines...its expected people, to read guidelines, wiki and ect., understand the matter, than ask for help, if they are not sure...or face troubles with understanding...
Me myself "i know nothing" and love to read an old forum articles, wiki or to test and learn new things, and get the info without asking, but yep sometimes i have to ask too...this forum is full of info and gold...

When you ask for help, start with router model, firmware number, explain what you want to achieve, what you tried/tested and what results you have...share as many details are possible...as this is vital step forward... if all that above happens, in that order, very likely to get help and succeed...
Skipping the lines, and not doing your homework + rushing, always yields bad results...

TP-Link WR1043NDv2 -Gargoyle OS 1.15.x AP,DNS,QoS,Quotas
Qualcomm-Atheros
Netgear XR500 --DD-WRT 55460 Gateway/DoH,Forced DNS,AP Isolation,4VLAN,Ad-Block,Firewall,Vanilla
Netgear R7800 --DD-WRT 55460 Gateway/DoT,AD-Block,Forced DNS,AP&Net Isolation,x3VLAN,Firewall,Vanilla
Netgear R9000 --DD-WRT 55363 Gateway/DoT,AD-Block,AP Isolation,Firewall,Forced DNS,x2VLAN,Vanilla
Broadcom
Netgear R7000 --DD-WRT 55460 Gateway/SmartDNS/DoH,AD-Block,Firewall,Forced DNS,x3VLAN,VPN
NOT USING 5Ghz ANYWHERE
------------------------------------------------------
Stubby DNS over TLS I DNSCrypt v2 by mac913
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> General Questions All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: