Bricked Archer C9V3 EU - unusual

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Taviman
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2020 19:19    Post subject: Bricked Archer C9V3 EU - unusual Reply with quote
Hello everybody, I have managed to brick my router.
I installed the "factory to ddwrt.bin" found under build 40559
https://dd-wrt.com/support/router-database/?model=Archer%20C9%20_4.x
I obviously did it without prior reading documentation because I kinda bricked it.
It partially loads the "change password" page, only texts without any graphics. I doesn't take me to another page from there, so I cannot load the "archer-c9v4-webflash.bin". Router still boots, wifi is working, lights blink but that is is. No real interface to it.

I read a lot in the last 2 weeks, before I decided to ask for help
I tried the reset button method with TFTP server on 192.168.0.66 and 192.168.1.66. Nothing happens in TFTP64 window (I am positively sure I configured correctly TFTP server)
I tried serial method with a serial to USB convertor (yes, 3.3V) and I even tried with an Arduino as Serial convertor.
Nothing happens un the putty terminal when I start the router (yes, Rx to Tx and Ctrl_C pressed). It is true that it stops from booting the router but that is it, I doesn't answer my commands
I tested with an oscilloscope during normal boot on Tx and router is spitting bits on serial port

Please, any advice is welcomed. I was confident I am able to fix it, but now I am not so sure anymore

Thanks

Last edited by Taviman on Fri Dec 11, 2020 19:37; edited 1 time in total
Sponsor
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2020 19:27    Post subject: Re: Bricked Archer C9V3 EU - unusual Reply with quote
Taviman wrote:
Hello everybody, I have managed to brick my router.
I installed the "factory to ddwrt.bin" found under build 40559
https://dd-wrt.com/support/router-database/
I obviously did it without prior reading documentation because I kinda bricked it.
It partially loads the "change password" page, only texts without any graphics. I doesn't take me to another page from there, so I cannot load the "archer-c9v4-webflash.bin". Router still boots, wifi is working, lights blink but that is is. No real interface to it.

I read a lot in the last 2 weeks, before I decided to ask for help
I tried the reset button method with TFTP server on 192.168.0.66 and 192.168.1.66. Nothing happens in TFTP64 window (I am positively sure I configured correctly TFTP server)
I tried serial method with a serial to USB convertor (yes, 3.3V) and I even tried with an Arduino as Serial convertor.
Nothing happens un the putty terminal when I start the router (yes, Rx to Tx and Ctrl_C pressed). It is true that it stops from booting the router but that is it, I doesn't answer my commands
I tested with an oscilloscope during normal boot on Tx and router is spitting bits on serial port

Please, any advice is welcomed. I was confident I am able to fix it, but now I am not so sure anymore

Thanks

Ok, so why did you load v4 on a v3, and why did you use the router database that is not updated?

https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=282831

https://wiki.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/TP_Link_Archer_C9

See other links in my signature as well...

P.S. Your router database link is why your post isn't visible due to the parenthesis not being understood by the url function of the forum software.

DD-WRT Releases 2023 (PolitePol)
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (RSS Everything)

----------------------
Linux User #377467 counter.li.org / linuxcounter.net
Taviman
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2020 19:34    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hey, thanks for quick reply!
Yes, that might have been an overlook on my side but to be fair the router database said "V3 [Beta] build 40559"

Now, any advice to get it back? I wasn't aware the router database is not updated...
Taviman
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2020 20:54    Post subject: fixed Reply with quote
Hey, happy to report that I fixed my router.
Only if I knew I have to post here to get a hint on wah I was doing wrong...

Thanks to kernel-panic69 signature I tried IE and it worked. It was working all the time but I was not aware about the Chromium browsers
Well, At least now I know more about serial then when I started
Daarke
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2020 0:57    Post subject: Reply with quote
Just a tip in order to get serial working next time. You need to power the router on 1-2 sec before connecting the serial pins. The way I did it I think was to unplug GND and put it back when it begins to reboot. You will see it start sending onto the terminal then. And make sure baudrate is set to 115200.

Last edited by Daarke on Sat Dec 12, 2020 1:00; edited 1 time in total
Daarke
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2020 0:59    Post subject: Re: fixed Reply with quote
Taviman wrote:
Hey, happy to report that I fixed my router.
Only if I knew I have to post here to get a hint on wah I was doing wrong...

Thanks to kernel-panic69 signature I tried IE and it worked. It was working all the time but I was not aware about the Chromium browsers
Well, At least now I know more about serial then when I started

Which signature/link did you use? What did you use to unbrick your router? I'm having similar problems.
Taviman
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2020 5:48    Post subject: Re: fixed Reply with quote
Daarke wrote:

Which signature/link did you use? What did you use to unbrick your router? I'm having similar problems.

The "Don't use Chromium based Browsers" link in his sig.
I could not for the life of me imagine a browser could break the web-ui like that. I was using Chrome and Edge

I tried Internet Explorer and it worked
Taviman
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2020 5:52    Post subject: Re: fixed Reply with quote
Daarke wrote:
Just a tip in order to get serial working next time. You need to power the router on 1-2 sec before connecting the serial pins. The way I did it I think was to unplug GND and put it back when it begins to reboot. You will see it start sending onto the terminal then. And make sure baudrate is set to 115200.

Yes, I did all that. It wasn't working for me - I had to pull the O-scope to look at the signal.
I suspect it wasn't working because the adaptor levels were a bit high, around 3.8V. I even bought the Zenner diodes ready for one more try.
Next time maybe
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: