Can't seem to block MAC addresses in Access Restrictions?

pbc
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2020 22:26    Post subject: Can't seem to block MAC addresses in Access Restrictions? Reply with quote
Trying to shut off certain devices at 10pm each night (PS4's, etc). In the Access Restrictions page, I have enabled it, and created a new Policy Name.

- Selected "Any" for interface

- In the list of clients, inserted the MAC addresses I want to block (and triple checked them, and I also confirmed that the MAC address is "live" in the status page)

- Clicked the "Deny" button

- Clicked "Everyday" button

- Selected from 10pm to midnight (and double checked that the current time was correct)

Yet, 10pm hits, and nothing happens, the devices with the MAC addresses I have inserted continue to have internet access.

Am I missing something in the setup?
Sponsor
bushant
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2020 22:43    Post subject: Reply with quote
Might be helpful to know what router, what build to know what your options might be?

As far as I know Access Restrictions still will not kill an existing connection.
Quite a lengthy discussion here:
https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=326794&highlight=

Before asking for help - Read the forum guidelines AND Upgrade DD-WRT!
Adblock by eibgrad (1.1M blocked) + Blocklist Collection

pbc
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2020 23:12    Post subject: Reply with quote
Wow, that's unfortunate, defeats pretty much the whole purpose of the access restriction.

Has it always been this way?

I'm running an R7000 on 44627.
Wildlion
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2020 23:21    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yes pretty much. It has to do with how iptables is setup because it is the connection table that would need to be cleared and then the other option of not wanting to restart a link.
bushant
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2020 23:37    Post subject: Reply with quote
I would say there is a pretty good chance your router with that build could implement the solution referenced by @Alozaros in the thread I referenced. And the thread he referenced there.
pbc
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2020 0:58    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks, but I was hoping more for MAC blocking.

Does DD-WRT permit someone to block out a device individually, not based on a time? I.e., if I wanted to immediately access block a device that is connected and then reconnect it whenever, is there a simple way to do that that doesn't involve command lines?
egc
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2020 8:00    Post subject: Reply with quote
Try the latest build 44863, there have been some work done on this subject maybe it works.
Forum Guide Lines (important read):https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=324087
pbc
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2020 13:14    Post subject: Reply with quote
egc wrote:
Try the latest build 44863, there have been some work done on this subject maybe it works.

Thanks, will give it a go.

Is there a place in DD-WRT where one can easily just immediately block access to a device (as opposed to having to schedule on/off times) like most other default router software has? I can't seem to find it?
bushant
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2020 15:07    Post subject: Reply with quote
egc wrote:

Yep, just tested on R7800 44897A with phone by Mac Addy, SFE off.
It stayed connected but no internet access then regained access at the appointed time.

Now that I don't need it anymore Rolling Eyes
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Advanced Networking All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: