Power saving on Asus RT-AC68U causing issues

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
stephensuley
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2020 15:46    Post subject: Power saving on Asus RT-AC68U causing issues Reply with quote
System
Router Name: asus68u
Router Model: Asus RT-AC68U
Firmware Version: DD-WRT v3.0-r44700 std (10/30/20)
Kernel Version: Linux 4.4.241 #1298 SMP Fri Oct 30 06:04:37 GMT 2020 armv7l

I am looking for some suggestions to help with some unwanted behaviour on my RT-AC68U.

It's setup as a repeater bridge on wl1 and it has a single VAP on wl1.1 as well.

I have several of my clients that after a few minutes of idle connectivity they go into a [PS] mode for power saving, as a result the clients RX Rate drops to 6M and never recovers until I reboot the router or client.

The problem I have is that one of the clients impacted by this is a wifi webcam and as soon as the RX Rate drops the video stream feed goes choppy.

Mind you it's not all clients that have this issue, it seems to impact only specific devices repeatedly.

I was wondering if you guys know an advanced settings or other configuration adjustment I can make to prevent this type of behavior. Maybe even disable\prevent the power saving features?

68u-Capture.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  39.91 KB
 Viewed:  2844 Time(s)

68u-Capture.JPG

68u-Capture2.JPG
 Description:
wl1 setup
 Filesize:  59.89 KB
 Viewed:  2844 Time(s)

68u-Capture2.JPG

Latest and greatest builds Wink
Sponsor
msoengineer
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2020 17:33    Post subject: Reply with quote
Please don't cross post your issues like you have.

when the RX rate drops down, that is the client going into power save mode...Nothing you do on the router end will change what that client does....

Laptops clients can have their advanced properties changed to disable power saving...

Only rooted and jail broken phones/tablets will allow you to hack the power saving feature.

as stated in the other thread, U-APSD is the feature you want to turn off in dd-wrt; but you likely won't see you clients change their behavior... you want them to use power save to not eat battery...

TIPS/TRICKS: Best QCA Wifi Settings | Latency tricks | QoS Port priority | NEVER USE MU-MIMO |
Why to NOT use MU-MIMO | Max Wifi Pwr by Country | Linux Wifi Pwr | AC MCS & AX MCS | QCA 5Ghz chnls to use | WIFI Freq WIKI | TFTP R7800 | Don't buy AX | IPERF3 How-To

[R9000]52396 nightly (Main Router)
[EA8500]43192 & 45493 (2xOffsite)
[R7800] resting
[WDR3600]BS 44715 (Offsite)
[A7v5]BS 43038 (Offsite+spare napping)
stephensuley
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2020 19:32    Post subject: Reply with quote
msoengineer wrote:

when the RX rate drops down, that is the client going into power save mode...Nothing you do on the router end will change what that client does....

Laptops clients can have their advanced properties changed to disable power saving...

Only rooted and jail broken phones/tablets will allow you to hack the power saving feature.

as stated in the other thread, U-APSD is the feature you want to turn off in dd-wrt; but you likely won't see you clients change their behavior... you want them to use power save to not eat battery...

You edit my post to censor my reply to your comments?

Pointing out that I never violated rules or policies and saying that you falsely made claims about cross posting are facts. Feel free to to show me the policy you believe my comments are in violation of, but editing my post in order to remove my objection to your false claims is very much the reaction that is against the role of a moderator and your beyond your role.

please put my comments back as they were.

msoengineer
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2020 18:39    Post subject: Reply with quote
stephensuley wrote:
msoengineer wrote:

You edit my post to censor my reply to your comments?

Pointing out that I never violated rules or policies and saying that you falsely made claims about cross posting are facts. Feel free to to show me the policy you believe my comments are in violation of, but editing my post in order to remove my objection to your false claims is very much the reaction that is against the role of a moderator and your beyond your role.

please put my comments back as they were.

Regrettably I cannot recover your comments, as petty and complaining as they were... I see you decided to self edit too....

any way, as far as the rules:

https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=316427#316427

• While debating and discussion is fine, we will not tolerate rudeness, insulting posts, personal attacks or purposeless inflammatory posts. Please refrain from swearing, as it only serves to deter others from reading further. If your post has been removed, our decision is final in these matters.

You were being rude

• Multiple or repeated posting in order to increase your post count is not allowed.

you posted about u-apsd in two spots; one topic was several years old and for a different router...

• Also while these rules cover most common situations, they cannot anticipate everything. Consequently we reserve the right to take any actions we deem appropriate to ensure these forums are not disrupted or abused in any way.

being rude and whiny when you were in the wrong certainly falls under this use case.

Now, please stay on topic and keep ranting and complaining on your other post:https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=1223015#1223015

TIPS/TRICKS: Best QCA Wifi Settings | Latency tricks | QoS Port priority | NEVER USE MU-MIMO |
Why to NOT use MU-MIMO | Max Wifi Pwr by Country | Linux Wifi Pwr | AC MCS & AX MCS | QCA 5Ghz chnls to use | WIFI Freq WIKI | TFTP R7800 | Don't buy AX | IPERF3 How-To

[R9000]52396 nightly (Main Router)
[EA8500]43192 & 45493 (2xOffsite)
[R7800] resting
[WDR3600]BS 44715 (Offsite)
[A7v5]BS 43038 (Offsite+spare napping)

Last edited by msoengineer on Fri Dec 04, 2020 22:05; edited 2 times in total
stephensuley
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2020 20:17    Post subject: Reply with quote
EDITED BY MODERATOR FOR CONTINUING TO BE RUDE AND NOT MOVING ON. KEEP IT UP, AND I WILL BLACK LIST YOU FOR HARASSMENT.

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: