I just dont get it.!!!

KILLERDOG
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2020 10:31    Post subject: I just dont get it.!!! Reply with quote
Ok, so im not blaming or flaming or being a idiot but there is something i just dont understand. BrainSlayer and his team work hard and they always produce the goods. Now sometimes they mend/fix things and sometimes they break things. Why cant someone just work on one item until its fixed and then work down a list. There is always something fixed and always something broken. Its like this firmware will never be sorted or completed. I for one dont know which firmware to use for my R7800. There are so many, and nearly every one of them has a bug or a problem of some kind. Why cant you just fix one thing at a time and stop messing and breaking other things. Makes me want ot go back to a stock firmware.....
Sponsor
abhijitat
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2020 11:35    Post subject: Reply with quote
First Thing, these firmware are marked as beta. it means they are not free of all bugs, but rather given to testers for further testing.
As regards to Fixing one thing and breaking other, it is the way programing is, you might have subs/function libraries which are spread across, which are used in many services/options. due to this, a small change might break other thing.

BS & All Gurus here always try to check the test build first before they release even as beta. it is upto user whether to use it or not, they are not forcing anybody to use it, its individual choice.

Second - you should be aware that in current technology, many new vulnerabilities/bugs are found regularly and they need to be fixed. Depending on the criticality you need to keep something unfinished but usable and patch that issue.

Third - BS & Team always try to keep a watch on nagging issues and try to sort out and whenever required involve novice users like me for resolving that issue.

Fourth - No one here using DD-WRT has installed this firmware out of fashion. they are using it to explore unused potential of router which is not fully utilized in OEM firmware.

normally I dont respond to posts like this, but finding faults in someones hard work (even you acknowledged) and saying you feel to revert back to should not be said.we have knowingly installed this firmware with a known disclaimer that this is an ongoing work and may have bugs (as its beta)

suggest you to please post any issue (if you find a new one) in the forum in the build thread.

just thank the developers here, as they are providing a constant update in a world where every day there is a new update from some hardware manufacturer, OS developers and practically thousands of devices which are providing some or the other changed thing.

Moderators: please feel free to delete the post if I have said something offending or out of context, I tried to be as polite & reasonable as possible.
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2020 11:52    Post subject: Reply with quote
There are over 1000 open tickets dating back ~11-13 years. Couple that with reports in the forum that never make it to a ticket, some of which I and others have personally addressed to get fixed, you are talking about a rather long list. I don't know about any development "team" per se. I guess there are people who work for NewMediaNet/EmbeDD GmbH that may contribute development code, since some issues have been due to other hands in the cookie jar, but. I feel your pain, and sometimes I watch the commits and wonder why there is a release short of some commits and fixes. It is the nature of the beast. I understand the frustration, especially when I get caught in the middle. Anyhow, 43813 and later seem to be promising, although there are still some things that need fixing on other devices. Just for the sake of firing back, people want to b*tch, but don't want to submit patches for a larger part of the time than not. Only a few select folks have been doing this over the past couple of years I have been here. Most others have either reported (and been patient) or whined and pissed and moaned. The latter doesn't get things fixed any faster, and I doubt anyone I know could support ~800 routers and keep things sorted without some degree of assistance. This assistance is best summed up as "flash and report", to start. This random passive-agressive rant with no recent reports in the build threads from you is rather silly. Just my $0.02 Arrow
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (PolitePol)
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (RSS Everything)

----------------------
Linux User #377467 counter.li.org / linuxcounter.net
egc
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2020 11:54    Post subject: Reply with quote
@abhijitat, well spoken!

As a rule, use the latest beta unless the build thread mentions a showstopper.
So always check build threads and report success or failure/problems in that same build thread.

and never use the router database!

Forum Guide Lines (important read):https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=324087
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2020 11:56    Post subject: Reply with quote
P.S. I moved this to Generic, since it is about development, sort of. The other option was General.

----------------------
egc
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2020 12:17    Post subject: Reply with quote
kernel-panic69 wrote:
P.S. I moved this to Generic, since it is about development

Indeed it is and I also understand/agree with your analysis

Sad

Forum Guide Lines (important read):https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=324087
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2020 12:32    Post subject: Reply with quote
I'm sure there are plenty of folks who are thankful for you and others' input into development, @egc. I just wish some of the others from the past were still around and active. My apologies for being critical. I just get as frustrated as everyone else and I know what does and doesn't work to get results - and getting caught in the middle don't help. Speaking of, I probably need to re-address the Broadcom K2.6 build issues that have creeped back up. I can't remember if BS rolled back to an older toolchain because of issues with the new one or not. Laughing

----------------------
ATHF
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 2:46    Post subject: Reply with quote
kernel-panic69 wrote:
I'm sure there are plenty of folks who are thankful for you and others' input into development, @egc. I just wish some of the others from the past were still around and active.

Yes, thankful for both of you. Even though you would call me a recent newcomer, I am just not on as much anymore. I do check svn every day, and see both of you on there, and kernel-panic69 slapping hands for not asking in the forum first. Oh, and is the database updated yet? Laughing Laughing

Velop:2 WHW0101, RE6500, RE9000(AP)
Spectrum - 1000/50
SysLog Watcher 5, New security Onion box coming soon, Fingboxes, PiHoles, NEMS, Cacti, rpisurv
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 2:49    Post subject: Reply with quote
ATHF wrote:
Oh, and is the database updated yet? Laughing Laughing

... no. But, there should be quite a bit of improvements in the next release... we hope.

----------------------
ATHF
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 2:53    Post subject: Reply with quote
kernel-panic69 wrote:

... no. But, there should be quite a bit of improvements in the next release... we hope.

Well, I will cross my fingers.

Velop:2 WHW0101, RE6500, RE9000(AP)
Spectrum - 1000/50
SysLog Watcher 5, New security Onion box coming soon, Fingboxes, PiHoles, NEMS, Cacti, rpisurv
mwchang
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2020 12:33    Post subject: Re: I just dont get it.!!! Reply with quote
KILLERDOG wrote:
Ok, so im not blaming or flaming or being a idiot but there is something i just dont understand. BrainSlayer and his team work hard and they always produce the goods. Now sometimes they mend/fix things and sometimes they break things. Why cant someone just work on one item until its fixed and then work down a list......

Because DD-WRT's development team has not enough programmers and sample routers! I believe there isn't enough money to attract capable programmers to join the team. People need to survive and that needs money.

And some said 802.11ax/WiFi 6 would not have DD-WRT.... Well...

If 802.11ac was the end of the road for DD-WRT, then your complaint might soon be answered, because there would not any new routers to test. Smile

Drink, Blink, Stretch! Live long and prosper! May the Force and farces be with you!

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/changmanwai
SETI@Home profile: http://setiathome.berkeley.edu/view_profile.php?userid=211832
GitHub: https://github.com/changmw/changmw
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Generic Questions All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: