MAC filter r44772

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Marvell MVEBU based Hardware (WRT1900AC etc.)
narinesa
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2020 0:13    Post subject: MAC filter r44772 Reply with quote
Trying to understand an old issue:
MAC filter has ath0, ath1 and ath2 - what is this

There is a separate MAC file plus a separate ath0,1,2

Also should i create separate ssid for each ?

Yes I am using MAC filter for access to my wi fi.

Any documentation ?
Sponsor
Monza
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 14:46    Post subject: Reply with quote
I don't have a 3200 so, if my post is incorrect for that model, 3200 owners please add corrections.

After reading your other post the way you have the MAC filter set up could be your wifi problem. Enable the filter for ath0 (5 GHz), ath1 (2.4 GHz) and disabled for ath2 as it is not used. Once enabled you have a choice of preventing MAC addresses listed from accessing your wifi network or allowing only listed MAC addresses to access your wifi network.

Under filter mode I prefer "Permit only clients listed to access the wireless network" after which I enter the wifi MAC addresses for all my wireless devices in the list by pushing the "Edit MAC Filter list" button. If you have devices you want to block from wifi use just don't enter their MAC addresses. You would do this for both ath0 and ath1 if you want to block all access except for the listed MAC's (your devices) or disable the MAC filter for the radio you don't want to block/give access by MAC addresses. I prefer blocking for both radios, allowing only my devices to access the wifi hence the security benefit. Double check your MAC inputs as they must be correct. Also remember if you add any new devices to add their wifi MAC address to the list so they can connect.

Wifi MAC filter is basically another security option you can use IMHO. If you enable it without entering any/all of your device MAC addresses you won't be able to access your wifi radios because the router will only allow the listed MAC's to use the wife radios. If you have the MAC filter enabled try disabling it and see if your wifi devices connect. If they do your MAC filter is not set up correctly to be enabled.

Under Filter Mode, if you have enabled "Prevent clients listed from accessing the wireless network" you would ONLY enter MAC addresses for devices you want to block. If you have your device MAC's entered with this option enabled your devices would be blocked from using the wifi.
narinesa
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2020 0:00    Post subject: Reply with quote
ok here is my issue under the wireless MAC filter using r43420

I used to have:
ATH0
ATH1
ATH2

Has a problem with dd-wrt and did a restore.

Now i have
ATH0
ATH1

How to get back ATH2 ?
WENED
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2020 1:28    Post subject: Reply with quote
This has been covered countless times.

DISABLE ATH2 It is intended as a detection radio not for use as an AP.

Having enabled it it is normal that you will lose access to it on the first reboot. If you do not disable this radio expect all kinds of strange problems as now that you have it enabled it will continue to try to function and conflict with the other two radios. The 3200 is NOT a tri-band router.

Restoring ATH2 so that can ensure it is disabled is not a simple matter though. It may be possible to disable via Telnet but I am not versed with that procedure.
The only way I was able to disable ATH2 after it disappeared was to reset the router and start over from scratch.
Alternatively I believe if you load in a much older build it may be available for disabling and you would still have all your settings and could then load in whatever build you desire. I am sure if this would work or if the settings would be compatible as there has been a number of problems with upgrading from old builds. If it doesn't work you won't really lose much time effort. If not then a full reset and rebuild is your only course of action.

ExpressVPN

WRT3200acm r48567 WDS Station 5Ghz
Ath1 AP N/G Mixed Channel 11 HT40

WRT1900Ac V1 5Ghz r48567 WDS Station
(Defective, no 2.4Ghz but 5Ghz works great)

WRT1900AC V1 5Ghz AC 80Mhz WDS Station r48567
2.4Ghz AP Ch1 HT20 Mixed

WRT1900ACS SPARE r47608

WRT1900AC V1 5Ghz AC 80Mhz WDS-AP r48567
2.4Ghz AP Ch1 HT20 Mixed

WRT54G DD-WRT v3.0-r37305 micro AP CH 6 Mixed - Not in use

3200 Master -> LAN -> 1900ACS -> WDS 5Ghz -> 1900 V1 (X2)
3200 Master -> WDS -> 3200 Slave & 1900V1
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Marvell MVEBU based Hardware (WRT1900AC etc.) All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: