Some devices can't connect to the internet

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Forum Index -> Marvell MVEBU based Hardware (WRT1900AC etc.)
objecttothis
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2020 13:02    Post subject: Some devices can't connect to the internet Reply with quote
Hardware: Linksys WRT1900AC
Firmware: 44715

Problem: For several firmware revisions I have noticed that three (3) different devices are having issues connecting to Wifi. One is an iPhone, so I think that may be a known issue, but two are HP laptops. I can connect to wifi and get internet just fine on two OnePlus Android phones (Android 9 and 10) and on my Microsoft Surface Pro 4, but on the two HP laptops, both running Windows 10 (one being brand new today) I get the same behavior.

- Connect to the SSID (2.4GHz or 5.0GHz) and it takes a long time to connect. It finally does connect but says "No Internet, secured" and won't navigate to any internet sites. I can get it to connect to the dd-wrt router admin interface though. It does get assigned an IP address.

Things I've tried:
- Disable wifi security.
- Set all the Wifi settings in dd-wrt according to recommended settings on https://wiki.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/QCA_wireless_settings#Multicast_To_Unicast
- Updating drivers on the laptops.
- updating the dd-wrt firmware with the latest version.
- No VPNs are installed.

I am running a VAP Guest Network and a AP also running dd-wrt have the following Firewall commands:
iptables -I FORWARD -i ath0.1 -d `nvram get lan_ipaddr`/`nvram get lan_netmask` -m state --state NEW -j DROP
iptables -t nat -I POSTROUTING -o br0 -j SNAT --to `nvram get lan_ipaddr`
iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -o $(get_wanface) -j MASQUERADE

- Removing those has no effect.
- Turned off the second AP. Still no internet.
- Connected to the dd-wrt router via wired connection. Still No internet.
- Disabled Windows Firewall and Windows Defender. No effect.
- Resetting the router to defaults. THAT RESOLVED IT!

The fact that it's happening on Wifi and wired tells me it's not wifi-specific. The fact that resetting the router to defaults fixes it tells me its either a corruption or a settings issue. The fact that some devices have no problem while others can't connect confuses me. DHCP is used for both working and non-working devices.

Does anyone have thoughts on what to look at first?

DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2020 14:34    Post subject: Reply with quote
Are you using a specific IP range 192.168.1.1 or n.n.2.1 and is this in any way the same as a potention IP given by the Internet Service Providers IP range (WAN)?

What if you change it out of range to something like 192.168.10.1 on the basic screen of dd-wrt.

So that we are sure the WAN IP and the internal IP are not share same IP range.
objecttothis
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2020 15:00    Post subject: Reply with quote
pa3fat wrote:
Are you using a specific IP range 192.168.1.1 or n.n.2.1 and is this in any way the same as a potention IP given by the Internet Service Providers IP range (WAN)?

What if you change it out of range to something like 192.168.10.1 on the basic screen of dd-wrt.

So that we are sure the WAN IP and the internal IP are not share same IP range.

The WAN IP is not in the same range (131.117.x.x) and the DHCP server range is 192.168.1.x. Below 20 for the last octet are static IP addresses and the DHCP server starts at 20 so if I understand your post correctly, that shouldn't be the issue. Like I said, not all devices are having this issue. On the HP Spectre laptop with the issue, the 2.4GHz connection is being assigned 26 and the 5GHz is being assigned 30... just without internet connectivity.

Navigation

Jump to: