wifi speeds

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Marvell MVEBU based Hardware (WRT1900AC etc.)
dufloth
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2020 19:15    Post subject: wifi speeds Reply with quote
Hi,

I am using a wrt3200acm with r40009.

Today I noticed that my wifi devices are getting half the speed as my wired connection.

speedtest shows me that I have a 240Mbps connection on wired and 120Mbps on wireless.

I switched partitions and went back to the stock firmware and with that, my wireless speeds are back on 240Mbps.

The only reason I'm using dd-wrt is for the samba server. Can I have a light on this "issue"? I had gone through many google queries and forum topics, but with no good answer on how to configure it properly. The best is "read this topic", and is the help topic from dd-wrt with so much confusing information.

Attached is a screenshot of my wifi configuration page.

TIA
Sponsor
pbphoto
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2020 19:44    Post subject: Reply with quote
I would run r44048 on your 3200ACM and change your 5ghz radio to run at AC/N-mixed, VHT80 with wireless channel 36 +6. You should easily be able to get 240 up and down if your device is connected to the 5ghz radio.
SurprisedItWorks
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2020 21:42    Post subject: Reply with quote
Completely agree with pbphoto. To add a bit: Bandwidth is the key. More bandwidth gives you more speed at the expense of range. I run my ath0 as pbphoto said, in AC/N-Mixed at VHT80. (In the US you then have the choice of Ch 36++ or Ch 149++), and I find that in the same room my ath0 wifi connections show in the status page as 866 Mbps from devices that can go that fast, i.e. newer devices. Measured ISP speeds through those connections hit my 218 Mbps ISP limit. But if I move a few rooms away, signal strength falls off enough (5 GHz is not good at wall penetration) that, even though I still see all the bars on my phone or laptop, speed falls off enough that I actually do better on 2.4G NG-Mixed HT40, which maxes out I think at 300 Mbps on the status page. (Both those status-page speed numbers assume wifi advanced settings include checking Short Guard Interval to gain an extra 11% or so.)

Re range vs speed, in the same room you may be able to understand a fast-talking New Yorker, but two rooms away that New Yorker may have to slow down to Mississipean speed to be comprehensible. Same for wifi. It's in the nature of things.

2x Netgear XR500 and 3x Linksys WRT1900ACSv2 on 53544: VLANs, VAPs, NAS, station mode, OpenVPN client (AirVPN), wireguard server (AirVPN port forward) and clients (AzireVPN, AirVPN, private), 3 DNSCrypt providers via VPN.
PIZZEDMEOFF
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2020 22:43    Post subject: Reply with quote
SurprisedItWorks wrote:

Re range vs speed, in the same room you may be able to understand a fast-talking New Yorker, but two rooms away that New Yorker may have to slow down to Mississipean speed to be comprehensible. Same for wifi. It's in the nature of things.

I just want to say this is the best damn way to explain things ive ever seen!! you sir are awesome! Very Happy im using this tomorrow at work ( in I.T. )

https://svn.dd-wrt.com/timeline
Commands:
Misc: sleep 10;stopservice nas;stopservice wlconf;startservice wlconf;startservice nas
samba: { sleep 30; stopservice samba3; startservice samba3; } &

WRT1900ACv1:

WIFI: 2.4ghz: NG-mixed, 20mhz channel width, channel follows AP, WPA2-CCMP-128.
WIFI: 5ghz: AC/N mixed, 40mhz channel width, channel 100+upper, WPA2-CCMP-128.
Misc Info: WPA2 Personal: "CCMP-128 (AES)" Static IP's VIA Mac+Host, SFE Enabled, No Rebind, Strict, no-resolv. NOTE: this is now just a wireless access point so to speak but all settings still apply to what ever wireless person connects.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Marvell MVEBU based Hardware (WRT1900AC etc.) All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: