"AP Isolation" always active

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2019 14:27    Post subject: Reply with quote
Disabling coexistence from pre-emption didn't really do anything for me on build 39572, however, (now) I can ping my Android phone from laptop (wired), but not from desktop (wireless). I also cannot ping from desktop (wireless) to laptop. Not sure if it's the Windows firewall causing issue or not, but that wouldn't surprise me. Before, I wasn't able to ping anything from anything, so... scratching my head on that one. I haven't tried turning Windows firewall off (yet), but "core networking" should allow ICMP, I thought. Since my Android phone isn't hacked to allow a terminal session, I can't test ping from it to the rest of the LAN side of the DD-WRT router, so...
Sponsor
dTX
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2019 22:55    Post subject: Reply with quote
@kernel-panic69 just a wild guess here but why don't you try from shell:
Code:
sysctl -w net.ipv4.icmp_echo_ignore_broadcasts=0

no need to restart.If it doesn't make any difference just set it back to 1.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2019 17:07    Post subject: Reply with quote
dTX wrote:
@kernel-panic69 just a wild guess here but why don't you try from shell:
Code:
sysctl -w net.ipv4.icmp_echo_ignore_broadcasts=0

no need to restart.If it doesn't make any difference just set it back to 1.

Yeah, this is what I got on the E4200v1 from the shell:

Code:
-sh: sysctl: not found

At least I don't think you were telling me to use that in Windows Wink Cool
dTX
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2019 19:04    Post subject: Reply with quote
Oh...i see.Well looks like you're on a lower kernel and that's why sysctl is missing.In kernel 3.7 and up sysctl is present.
Dang...that's not good Sad

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2019 19:25    Post subject: Reply with quote
dTX wrote:
Oh...i see.Well looks like you're on a lower kernel and that's why sysctl is missing.In kernel 3.7 and up sysctl is present.
Dang...that's not good Sad

E4200 v1 K3x builds are 3.10.x.... so, it's obviously not enabled or compiled in. I don't run the 2.6 builds. Also, sysctl has been present since 1.3.57 Wink

https://www.linuxjournal.com/article/2365

EDIT: It's because the (default?) firewall rule in iptables for icmp is DROP. Guess I may have to add a rule or five... perhaps. Still not sure why igmp is blocked, too, but.
testtubetony
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 1:00    Post subject: Reply with quote
Also having the same problem with my Linksys E4200 V1. I could occasionally get it to work by messing with the settings and rebooting, but it would inevitably fail back to being isolated. Just using it as an AP these days, but I just replaced all five of the 470uf capacitors due to several being swollen, and got an antenna array and fan off an old wireless Sonicwall that I'd like to install. Would love to run a more current firmware. The old firmware I've been on works great aside from being several years old.

Mostly posting here as a "Me too." Also for any updates.
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 1:42    Post subject: Reply with quote
I have tried disabling the block anonymous wan requests (ping), and pretty much everything else aside from deleting and adding proper iptables / ebtables rules, and nothing fixes it completely. Nothing in the nvram seems to show me anything, and sifting through the source code in the svn tree has been tedious. I have some things I will try as a workaround when I get time.
crpngdth
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 19:53    Post subject: Reply with quote
any solution/workaround in sight?
frager
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 4:41    Post subject: Reply with quote
Im on 40559 (WRT310N) and I experience the same.
Is this still under investigation?
skyfluxddwrt
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2019 22:16    Post subject: Reply with quote
I've been using a Netgear WNDR4000. The latest firmware I was using: 41379. I've been having these issues for almost one year now (all firmware versions) where devices can't see one another as well as constant WIFI device dropouts/loss of connection.

After months of research and trying numerous options, I'm fairly confident this AP isolation issue (always active) must be the culprit. Today I went back to stock firmware and the issue is completely gone.

Examples of issues I was having before stock firmware replacement:

- Can't use Yamaha AV Controller app on Android device when Yamaha receiver is connected via WIFI.

- Can't use Magic Home LED Android app to control wifi-connected LED lights.

- Multiple Nintendo consoles (Switch, Switch Lite) losing WIFI connectivity during active gameplay. (This is not a distance-to-router issue.)

All issues above could always be corrected temporarily with a router reboot and/or device reboot. When the Nintendo Switch would lose connection, the Nintendo would need to be powered off (hard power off) to correct.

This is definitely a first-world problem, but it has been maddening. I am going to try OpenWRT next as I have the need to implement custom iptables firewall rules.

Everything else about DD-WRT has been great, but the combination with my router has given me a sub-par, deficient network.
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2019 22:23    Post subject: Reply with quote
Have you tried 41791 from 12/24? That was before certain issues were corrected with GTK renewal in alpha build 41663. I have not looked at AP isolation lately to see if it is still problematic. Also, DD-WRT does support custom firewall rules. OpenWRT doesn't support Broadcom devices all that well, so you are asking for more problems than you have now, anyway.

EDIT: I just tested pinging between wired and wireless, wireless and wired, *with block anonymous wan requests (ping) DISABLED* in the SPI firewall on the security tab and it works fine. I will have to check to see if the "block anonymous wan requests" firewall rule is still 'broken', because I think there may have been something broken there.

---------------------------------------------------------

Linux User #377467 counter.li.org / linuxcounter.net
skyfluxddwrt
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2019 0:19    Post subject: Reply with quote
kernel-panic69 wrote:
Have you tried 41791 from 12/24? That was before certain issues were corrected with GTK renewal in alpha build 41663. I have not looked at AP isolation lately to see if it is still problematic. Also, DD-WRT does support custom firewall rules. OpenWRT doesn't support Broadcom devices all that well, so you are asking for more problems than you have now, anyway.

Thanks for your response. I will try 41791 and report back.

Yes, I've been using iptables rules in DD-WRT. It's a wonderful thing. And, yes, I just found out firsthand that OpenWRT lacks support for my 5GHz radio, so that's not an option now. Sad
skyfluxddwrt
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2019 18:01    Post subject: Reply with quote
Partially reporting back: I wanted to try 41791, but I can't. Something strange has happened. The rest is off topic, but continue reading if you're curious.

I'm currently using the latest Netgear firmware, but I am unable to use the router upgrade function within the UI, and there is no TFTP server running during boot. I've tried a full 30-30-30 reset, and TFTP never works. The first ping appears at 35 seconds. Furthermore, The power light is solid amber from power on to firmware boot. I *think* there was a brief moment in the past where it would blink amber and this is where I would use TFTP.

In the UI, the firmware upload begins, but about 100ms in it reverts to a "Firmware upgrade failed. Please check your file." message.

The only thing I had done prior was follow the instructions for OpenWRT to remove its firmware, reboot, and use TFTP to upload the Netgear firmware. That all succeeded, which is how I'm currently using Netgear firmware 1.0.2.10_9.1.89.

So I'm in this strange place where I'm recovery bricked? My recovery partition is gone? At this point I'm fine with it since I have a functioning router. Maybe in the future I'll try building a serial cable to force tftpd to start.
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2019 19:10    Post subject: Reply with quote
You're going to have to downgrade firmware, likely by tftp or nmrpflash, probably to the oldest one on the Netgear site (1.0.0.66) to flash DD-WRT, I suspect. Not sure if Ambit was adjusted for that router in DD.

---------------------------------------------------------

Linux User #377467 counter.li.org / linuxcounter.net
cbhack13
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2020 22:50    Post subject: Reply with quote
Just in case anyone else is still running a very old version because of this issue and finds their way to this thread, I just wanted to report that I recently upgraded to version 44213 using the path outlined by kernel-panic69 in this post (plus a 30-30-30 reset). I've now been running it for about 72 hours and have not had any problems with this AP-isolation that had been bugging me for years, so it seems that the issue is now fixed (at least for the E2500 v3).
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 Display posts from previous:    Page 5 of 5
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: