WRT3200 Revision compatibility

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Marvell MVEBU based Hardware (WRT1900AC etc.)
Emerica243
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2020 15:02    Post subject: WRT3200 Revision compatibility Reply with quote
Hello all I'm looking to purchase a WRT3200 however I do not see any hardware revision information on the bottom of these routers. if I recall the chart that I looked at on here with the supported revision hardware version is revision "m" how do I know that the version/revision of the device I'm buying will be flashable?
Sponsor
Zyxx
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2020 15:41    Post subject: Reply with quote
I can not answer your question, but inform you:

Linksys ceased supporting any WRT 12xx/19xx/3xxx.

Since some parts of their firmware are closed source / binary blobs, our devices are plagued with bad Wifi performance when using dd/open-wrt.

Either use it only as wired router with an additional AP for wifi, or await subpar speeds or devices sometimes failing to connect.

An working alternative: netgear r7800 (qualcom based).
Since some people here bought this device I'm positive about someone answering your question soon Smile
blkt
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2020 17:20    Post subject: Reply with quote
There is no official or traditional version number for the WRT3200ACM series, so you will not find V1, V2 etc.

Check the PCB for clues, or the serial number, or the revision on the retail box above UPC code.

Rev. A00 serial 198106 has NAND AMD/Spansion (S34ML02G2).

Rev. B00 or C00 serial 198116 have NAND Winbond/MXIC (W29N02GV).

These are all compatible with DD-WRT. If you want reliable wireless I highly suggest Netgear R7800 instead.
SurprisedItWorks
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2020 18:13    Post subject: Reply with quote
Or if you really want to stay with the WRT**** series, perhaps for the dual firmware partitions, consider the WRT1900ACSv2. (The V2 is not on the box or in listings for new routers, but on the router itself, it's on the blue label on the bottom, in the model number on the upper right, not the FCC approval number on the left, which is shared with other devices.)

This model is a bit slower but handles our two-person household well, even though we often have 15-20 devices connected with two TVs streaming. Probably not the ideal choice for heavy gamers.

The point of this recommendation is that this model has had way fewer wifi issues than the 3200. There are ways to configure it poorly to cause trouble, for sure, but with the right wifi config you can go years without seeing any problem. You may need a USB fan to pull air through though, as it can occasionally get a bit too warm and become squirrelly without one. With a fan it's been trouble free for me, across six routers of this model in my world.

All that said, if I were starting over I'd probably go with the Netgear R7800 for the speed, the reputation for better wifi range, and especially the strength of dd-wrt support for it. It is more or less the default router around here. Any dd-wrt firmware issues with it get addressed quickly and aggressively.

2x Netgear XR500 and 3x Linksys WRT1900ACSv2 on 53544: VLANs, VAPs, NAS, station mode, OpenVPN client (AirVPN), wireguard server (AirVPN port forward) and clients (AzireVPN, AirVPN, private), 3 DNSCrypt providers via VPN.
Emerica243
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2020 14:46    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks all. I'll avoid the Cisco and find myself. 7800 netgear. Do I need to find a specific revision / serial number? I couldn't get a clear answer if any newer revision of the R7800 would be fladshable
blkt
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2020 20:15    Post subject: Reply with quote
I can't find any difference unless disassembled, other than the bottom label sticker and the retail box copyright 2016 (made in China) and 2018 (made in Thailand). Either way, it should work assuming no hardware failure or bad NAND blocks.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Marvell MVEBU based Hardware (WRT1900AC etc.) All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: