repeater bridge does not extend network coverage

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Forum Index -> General Questions
billyG
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2020 6:45    Post subject: repeater bridge does not extend network coverage Reply with quote
I re-flashed my Linksys WRT54G2 with router drivers found on this site, to extend my home wireless network (Asus RT-N66U, manufacturer's firmware) to the detached garage (running Ethernet there is impractical). I spent many hours reading the instructions on this site and tried doing everything by the book. The router comes up, and I am able to connect to it wirelessly from my laptop's browser. I can browse its menus, which all look normal... The problem is that it does NOT enhance my network coverage. I get the same number of bars (1 or none) on my laptop or my phone, regardless of whether the secondary router is on or off. I placed the secondary router in a spot under the garage roof, where my laptop sees a decent signal level from the primary router. All I want the secondary router to do is to extend the signal to the ground level of the garage, but it is not happening. What can I do to get it to work?

3.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  44.33 KB
 Viewed:  199 Time(s)

3.png

2.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  42.15 KB

2.png

1.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  25.35 KB

1.png

Sponsor
Alozaros
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2020 16:02    Post subject: Reply with quote
hmmm your firmware is too old...
new builds here ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/betas/

not bad to read https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=324087

in general repeater bridge is a nasty hack, that uses half duplex and decreases speed...especially with this old buddy you have, it wont do a miracles...also use fixed channel like channel 11, and NG mixed both routers must be on the same WiFi settings..try as well country domain Canada...

your best bet, rj45 cable and WAP https://wiki.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Wireless_access_point , or power line adapters and WAP... or better routers and WDS if its supported https://wiki.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/WDS_Linked_router_network

TP-Link WR1043NDv2 ---DD-WRT 44627 BS AP,NAT,AP Isolation,Firewall,Local DNS,Forced DNS,DoT,VPN,VLAN
TP-Link WR1043NDv2 ---DD-WRT 44538 BS AP,NAT,AD Block,Firewall,Local DNS,Forced DNS,DoT,VPN,VLAN
TP-Link WR1043NDv2 ---Gargoyle OS 1.12.0 AP,NAT,QoS,Quotas
Qualcomm/IPQ8065
Netgear R7800 -----DD-WRT 44538 BS AP,NAT,AD-Block,AP&Net Isolation,VLAN's,Firewall,Local DNS,DoT
Broadcom
Netgear R7000 -----DD-WRT 44538 BS AP,Wi-Fi OFF,NAT,AD-Block,Firewall,Local DNS,Forced DNS,DoT,VPN
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Stubby for DNS over TLS I DNSCrypt v2 by mac913
eibgrad
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2020 20:14    Post subject: Reply with quote
Uhh, something doesn't make sense here. Looking at that second image, all I see is the wireless adapter (wl0) connected to the remote AP (Lions 4). But in a Repeater Bridge config, you need to add a VAP (virtual AP), most likely wl0.1, to reconstitute the AP on the bridge! That's the AP that extends your wireless network coverage. As it appears currently, you have nothing more than a client bridge, w/ only support for wired clients on the bridge, which does NOT extend your wireless coverage beyond what is possible w/ a wireless adapter on your PC/laptop.
ddwrt-blacklist-domains.sh (UPDATED!)
ddwrt-ovpn-client-backup.sh
ddwrt-mount-usb-drives.sh
ddwrt-ovpn-remote-access.sh
ddwrt-pptp-policy-based-routing.sh
billyG
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2020 19:36    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thank you for the tip regarding the virtual interface. That was it! Although, I must say, I still find the terminology on that page very confusing.
A couple of follow-up questions:
1) Is it possible to make the secondary router broadcast the same SSID as the primary router, seamlessly extending the wireless network, or does this require a wired connection to the primary router?
2) Does the DD-WRT software show wireless link quality to the primary router? This would help me position my secondary router optimally, maximizing link quality between the two.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Forum Index -> General Questions All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: