need help if router archer c7 v2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
servicetech
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2020 8:43    Post subject: Reply with quote
peubtu wrote:
my girlfriend phone did samething
i will try this build 42910

If that does not solve it, try v42514. Because you said, you had a working r42xxx version on your AP, but cannot remember what build, you need to check some builds in that range and you should be able to catch a working one.

I found another older post that sounds similar on C7 v2.

"Unfortunately, the wifi has stopped working properly. Clients can still scan the wifi but cannot connect to the router. (Stuck on connecting)

LAN connections remain OK."

r41791 wifi was working, don't forget to nvram erase && reboot and manually create your AP setup. Don't load any saved config from other build.
Sponsor
peubtu
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2020 6:26    Post subject: Reply with quote
updates from tests:
testing build 42910 the problem still persists.

testing build 41791 it seems that the wifi problem has been solved or almost, it is much better, I am still testing but it seems to have solved

But
now a new problem has appeared
I currently have the 400mb Download and 200mb upload optical fiber connection
it works normally but sometimes I download it and the signal drops to 250mb and stays, it only goes back to 400mb when I restart the router, in this case the archer c7 v2
normal download rate and 42mb / s
when the problem is at 20-22, mb / s and does not come back, just restarting the router

any suggestions on how to solve?

thank you
servicetech
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2020 8:00    Post subject: Reply with quote
peubtu wrote:

testing r41791 it seems that the wifi problem has been solved or almost, it is much better.

It works normally but sometimes I download and the signal drops to 250mb and stays, it only goes back to 400mb when I restart the router.

any suggestions on how to solve?

thank you

Your second C7 is on r41791 and this fixed your wifi issue.-> ok. Don't change the dd-wrt build on this C7 AP!.

It's a very fast ISP connection for a single core 750Mhz device. Maybe another user of C7 is able to answer the possible speeds with this hardware as Gateway and AP for comparison.

Do you need to restart the first "main" or the second "AP" one C7 ? Don't use WLAN for speed checks.

You need to check that you get the 400Mbit from a wired client connected to first "main" C7 LAN Port after the speed dropps, so we can assume that the second one on the uplink is able to receive that speed.

Assume your first "main" C7 is connected to the WAN interface on the second C7 ?

1. Disconnect the "uplink" cable to "main" C7 from WAN Port and connect it to a LAN Port, i.e LAN1 on the AP

Goto Basic Setup:
1. Disable "Assign WAN Port to switch"
2. Check "WAN Connection Type" set to "disabled"

Save the changes and reboot router.

That should disable dd-wrt support for WAN port, lowering CPU/RAM load on the AP by moving the uplink load to the internal switch chip. Only speed check with wired gigabit client connected to other LAN Port on the AP.

Last edited by servicetech on Mon Oct 19, 2020 14:04; edited 1 time in total
peubtu
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2020 4:18    Post subject: Reply with quote
I understood what you said, but I think I explained myself badly, this problem is happening on my PC connected via cable on the LAN of the first router.
servicetech
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2020 6:55    Post subject: Reply with quote
peubtu wrote:
I think I explained myself badly, this problem is happening on my PC connected via cable on the LAN of the first router.

Ok. What dd-wrt build is on the "main" C7 ?

I think you can't get more than 200-250Mbit out of the single core 750Mhz dd-wrt gateway.
The throughput might be different between newest and (much) older builds, stability should be one main goal on gateway. Requirement is Shortcut Forwarding Engine "enabled", no heavy CPU using services: QoS, USB-smb, VPN etc.
The r41791 is stated a "good performer" build on the build thread, other reported good builds are r41113, r41517 for C7 v2.

For high speed fiber you need "horsepower" on the gateway, I think a provider device for your fiber is at least a high powered dual core or most likely a ~800Mhz quad core.

You should upgrade the "main" router to a dual core ~1Ghz device (or quad, if you want USB file sharing, QoS, ...) for 400Mbit Fiber.

Last edited by servicetech on Mon Oct 19, 2020 17:27; edited 4 times in total
ian5142
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2020 12:29    Post subject: Throughput Reply with quote
In other threads, tatsuya46 and others have said that the max for a single core router is about ~150MB/s in reality. You may get more using SFE (Shortcut Forwarding Engine) but that eliminates QoS.

I suggest getting a Netgear R7800. 1Gz dual-core, best bang for the buck.

Some dd-wrt wiki pages are up to date, others are not. PM me if you find an old one, I am trying to update them.

Atheros:
Netgear R7800 - gateway, DHCP, QoS, VPN
TP-Link Archer C7 v2 x2 - WDS AP, WDS Station
TP-Link TL-WDR3600 v1 - WDS Station
TP-Link 841nd v8 - WDS Station
D-Link 615 C1 x 4 - not used
D-Link 615 E3 x 2 - not used
D-Link 825 B1 - WDS Station
D-Link 862L A1 x2 - WDS Station
Netgear WNDR3700v2 - WDS Station
UBNT loco M2 x2 - airOS

Broadcom
Asus N66U - backup Gateway
Netgear r6300 v1 - AP
Linksys E2500 - not used
Linksys EA2700 - not used
Linksys 160N v3 x2 - not used
Netgear WNDR3700v3 - not used
MediaTek
UBNT EdgeRouter X - not used
servicetech
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2020 12:49    Post subject: Re: Throughput Reply with quote
ian5142 wrote:
In other threads, tatsuya46 and others have said that the max for a single core router is about ~150MB/s in reality. You may get more using SFE (Shortcut Forwarding Engine) but that eliminates QoS.

His "Main" Gateway setup:
-Shortcut Forwarding "enabled"

Don't know what's max possible WAN speed with SFE on his 750Mhz single core C7, but I think, 250Mbit isn't really bad. There are a lot of kernel changes between builds, possible that some builds work better with SFE.

Found a post from tatsuya46 from Sep/2019. He said he could get >400Mbit speed with SFE on a 750Mhz device. The builds discussed in these posts are r41113, r41517
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 Display posts from previous:    Page 3 of 3
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: