Help with boosting wifi signal (TX Power) on WRT3200ACM

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Forum Index -> Marvell MVEBU based Hardware (WRT1900AC etc.)
Kusaywa
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 20:04    Post subject: Help with boosting wifi signal (TX Power) on WRT3200ACM Reply with quote
I've seen a few examples on how to boost the wifi signal on my router. All show the default TX Power at 70, however mine is only currently set to 30. What would be the best (safest) I could raise this number to? Thanks for any help.
Sponsor
ho1Aetoo
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 20:17    Post subject: Reply with quote
the transmission power is limited by the regulatory domain
the maximum is 30dB / 1W depending on country and frequency range

So you can set whatever you want, the AP doesn't send more than 30dB anyway

In addition, the pure transmission power does not have much effect on the AP side, for good transmission rates you also need a client with good antennas
msoengineer
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 21:15    Post subject: Reply with quote
I am not sure if this still is the case, but I noticed on BCM routers that the defaults were set very low and that you would have to enter 999 [mW] to have the router broadcast at the full TX power. There was a bug that would not allow you to enter the full 4digits to yield 1000...not sure if that got fixed or not...

For the marvell stuff...Not sure how the gui shows power but it seems in mW and not dBm like for atheros; regardless, it seems awfully low if it's showing 70mW and you can bump both radios to 999mW safely without any worry (or 1000 if the bug got fixed).

On the other note- To ho1Aetoo's point...the best routers can go up to 36dBm (3981mW) but have to be attenuated by the antenna to 30dBM (1000mW). While the best wifi cards/clients, AFAIK, hit about 21-24dBM back to the router...and most are 18dBm at VHT80 peak MCS rates- so to his point, it will be the client that shits the bed first everytime by dropping the signal.

TIPS/TRICKS: Best QCA Wifi Settings | Latency tricks | QoS Port priority | NEVER USE MU-MIMO |
Why to NOT use MU-MIMO | Max Wifi Pwr by Country | Linux Wifi Pwr | AC MCS & AX MCS | QCA 5Ghz chnls to use | WIFI Freq WIKI | TFTP R7800 | Don't buy AX | IPERF3 How-To

[R9000]44901 nightly (Main Router)
[EA8500]43192 nightly (2xOffsite)
[R7800]napping
[WDR3600]BS 42567 (Offsite)
[A7v5]BS 43038 (Offsite+spare napping)
ho1Aetoo
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 8:24    Post subject: Reply with quote
should be dB >

https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=1148678
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Forum Index -> Marvell MVEBU based Hardware (WRT1900AC etc.) All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: