WRT3200acm simple bridge issues

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Marvell MVEBU based Hardware (WRT1900AC etc.)
alexey_a
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2020 16:16    Post subject: WRT3200acm simple bridge issues Reply with quote
I have WRT3200ACM running r40559 from 08-06-2019.
I want the device to act as a simple bridge with 2 APs.

I have dedicated firewall that does DHCP for both networks, and i have dedicated switch that has a dedicated VLAN for each network as well. Layer 3 is on the firewall. Layer 2 is on the switch.
I would like to have WRT3200 in a simple bridge mode with two networks.
I have set up ath0, ath1, ath2, and eth1 on a br0. Created SSID and enabled WPA2 security. Everything was working. I have assigned an IP address from the same subnet as my wireless network and its is working.

When I create WAPs on ath0.1, ath1.1, ath2.1 router still functions however every time I apply settings it hangs and I have to power cycle it to get it back.
As soon as I create br1 and try to assign ath0.1, ath1.1, ath2.1, eth2 to it, GUI hangs, after the reboot I have no connectivity and am forced to reset the router and start all over.

Am I doing something wrong?
Should I be accomplishing what i want to accomplish differently?

Please help.
Thank you.
Sponsor
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2020 17:12    Post subject: Reply with quote
You should probably take the time to read the forum rules, guidelines, firmware faq, and all the stickies at the top of this forum and ask yourself where the problem likely is. To sum it up, 40559, although the latest in the router database, is a sh*t build. Upgrade, then get back to us.
https://dd-wrt.com/support/router-database/ wrote:
DISCLAIMER

This database may not have up-to-date information and may even recommend a build which might cause issues. As such, you should check the device specific forum (Broadcom, Atheros, MediaTek, etc.) first before flashing any build recommended in this database. There you will find build specific topics that discuss any issues with a particular build/release. For more up-to-date firmware files, please visit the firmware faq.

YOU HAVE BEEN GIVEN FRIENDLY AND FAIR NOTICE

DD-WRT Releases 2023 (PolitePol)
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (RSS Everything)

----------------------
Linux User #377467 counter.li.org / linuxcounter.net
alexey_a
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2020 0:47    Post subject: Reply with quote
kernel-panic69, thank you for your reply.

I have read the rules before, I have tried to search for the info and read the stickies, but forum's search feature is completely useless and the amount of info to go through is enormous and none of it, from what I found, applied to my issues. I have used dd-wrt images for over 10 years now, and I have never found a completely stable version. I like the features and willing to put up with instability to some degree. But from what I have see there is no indication which release is stable like in a traditional software development cycle.

That said, I have found your post recommending Firmware: DD-WRT v3.0-r43516 (06/25/20). Or as you stated nothing older than that version.

It seems to have fixed the bridging issue and GUI freezing up, but now I am missing ath2 interface, and out of 5 Ethernet interfaces only 2 show up. I came across missing ath2 interface post few days ago, but now I cannot find it any more. More constructive help is appreciated.
Thank you for your time.
martin2pts0
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 22:59    Post subject: WRT3200 VLAN Bridge Reply with quote
I'm newbie in regards with VLAN

I use the WRT3200 and followed this example:

https://netosec.com/dd-wrt-wifi-vlans/

The sample is dedicated for an RT-AC3200.

Then , anyone experienced with WRT3200 knew what I need to do in order to be able to use ath0 for VLAN 40, ath1 for VLAN 42 and ath2 for VLAN44

After applying the procedure, I need to RESET the router every time because I lost it when it rebooted with the given configuration (maybe caused by the VLAN1 removal)

Fortunately, I have a backup to restore the configuration proposed in this example without the VLAN1 removal

Regards
Zyxx
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2020 6:53    Post subject: Reply with quote
@martin2pts0

I'd go with the sticky in this forum:

https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=317199
"VLAN success on WRT1900ACSv2, WRT3200ACM, et al."

As you already figured, the RT3200 and your device are not the same.
Also the guide mentions 30-30-30, something you'd better not do with a new router of any kind and brand.
martin2pts0
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 1:56    Post subject: WRT3200 VLAN Bridge Reply with quote
Thanks for quick response.

Honestly, as I am newbie, I was expecting for a short recommendation in regards with this link :

https://netosec.com/dd-wrt-wifi-vlans/

Regarding the POST you mentionned, it will hard to find out only what I need to be able to setup my VLAN as expected

Regards
Zyxx
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2020 20:05    Post subject: Reply with quote
Unfortunately I'm not able to provide any guidance in this regards.

I never used VLANs in DD-WRT, since I only managed to shoot my own foot with it years ago.
The Guide you linked is not based on a Marvell chipset, also it uses a old release.

My recommendation --> Try to describe the scenario you try to achieve in a few sentences and restart and repost your question in the Advanced Networking Section:

https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewforum.php?f=53

I'm sorry, for not beeing of any use in this case Sad
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Marvell MVEBU based Hardware (WRT1900AC etc.) All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: