5Ghz WiFi on Netgear R6400 v2 is slower than it used to be

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Nickof408
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2020 5:03    Post subject: 5Ghz WiFi on Netgear R6400 v2 is slower than it used to be Reply with quote
My Netgear R6400 v2 seems to be slower than it used to be with 5Ghz WiFi. I used to get well over 300mbps sitting right in front of it, but now I only get about 200mbps. The rates it displays seem to be okay. I've been upgrading every month or so to the latest forum tested builds, and I'm not sure when it got slow or if it's firmware related. I haven't changed any wifi related settings since I first got this router though. I went back to 41664, but it's the same. I know it was faster back in January of 2019, so I'll probably just go back to a firmware from around then for testing at some point. I used up my internet interruption quota with the wife for right now though. Any ideas or insight would be appreciated. I keep that radio on otherwise empty DFS channels with 80hz width, and I verified that to still be true. It seems about 150mbps slower than it used to be. Serious first world problems.
Sponsor
blkt
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2020 7:45    Post subject: Reply with quote
There was a major channel overhaul earlier this year, so make sure your settings are correct.

Try 36+LL or 149+LL. Broadcom's extensions are now inverse or flipped, so the setting is LL and not UU.

Assuming you are booted into the correct regulatory domain (country), save them in this order:

Channel Width, Save, Extension Channel, Save, Wireless Channel, Save. Reboot.
Nickof408
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2020 15:50    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks for the reply. I wish it were something simple like that though. I set it to those things just to try, but the results were the same. I did notice that the definition of upper and lower in 5Ghz spectrum seem to be backwards... lower means take neighboring channels with a higher number(!?). Anyway, I noticed something else strange in changing everything back and forth.. Our two work laptops get a rate of only 54Mpbs to the 5Ghz. I tried setting it to AC only, and then they don't connect at all. They both new laptops. Mine is a MacBook Air from this year. So, my phones still go up to 200Mpbs in real tests, but my laptops go like 25Mpbs. Something is up with this. Feels like my 5Ghz is almost dead. I'm in an apartment, and clouded 2.4Ghz N is faster (75Mbps), which tells me something is definitely up.
itwontbewe
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2020 16:00    Post subject: Reply with quote
are you using the recommended settings?
Basic Wireless Settings
Advanced wireless settings
blkt
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2020 16:31    Post subject: Reply with quote
So, egc has zero issues with the current build r44483.

Maybe it's time to reset and reconfigure from scratch after successful upgrade and reboot.

Netgear R6400 v2 and R6700v3 Install Guide

nvram erase && reboot
Nickof408
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2020 23:21    Post subject: Reply with quote
blkt wrote:
Maybe it's time to reset and reconfigure from scratch after successful upgrade and reboot.

That did it! Not sure what it didn't like in the old configuration. I took screenshots, and everything looks the same in the UI now. I'm assuming it was just too much dirty flashing. It's been over a year now since I've wiped this one. Thanks for the help!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: