Best cheap NEW/OLD Wireless Routers for LONG RANGE.

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Search & Find, Sales & Offers
Robin0220
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2020 19:55    Post subject: Best cheap NEW/OLD Wireless Routers for LONG RANGE. Reply with quote
Hello.

First of all, i really have my doubts that i'm going to find an answer i seek, but still giving it a shot, who knows, maybe one knowledgeable dude finds my post and might be able to help in time, haha.

As the title says and shortly put, i am looking for cheap budget Wireless ROUTERS, that supports at least ONE of these > Client Bridge/Wireless Repeater Mode < out of the box or enabled by 3rd party software, like dd-wrt.

they should not be expensive, actually looking for OLD ones, before 2015-2012 , but with the condition that they have a Strong through output, TX/RX Power, capable to run HIGH GAIN Antennas, for Long Range distances, even if they don't have detachable antennas, i am sure i could mod them.

( The distance between AP's is going to be about "250Meters" )

Does anyone know of such router with good TX power, that is able to handle long distances ??!!

I've heard of the legendary WRT45GL from linksys and Asus - WL-520GC.
But these routers don't support N just B-G technology, which isn't really a bad thing to be honest, since i only expect to achieve speeds like 20-30Mbs at peak, but it might have an impact on distance, i don't know.

also read on DD-WRT wiki, that the NetGear WNDR3700v4 can handle up to 26Dbm on 2.4 Ghz and 22 on 5ghz.

i considered buying one, but i've found only Version 1 of of those routers, which supports just 17Dbm.
https://wiki.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Netgear_WNDR3700

i am not sure if i could buff it up with dd-wrt, it is possible,i think, but some say that all routers have hardware limitations, so it doesn't matter if you raise TX Power, it still going to be at 17Dbm if that is the max it can do, besides that, this router has multiple antennas, which i don't like, since multiple antennas just means that the total power is going to be divided by # of antennas it has NO i am not sure if that's true, but i tried newer routers w antennas up to 3-6, and they are really weak in obtaining signal from long distances.

At this very moment i am running a really old Zyxel-NBG416 Router, which out of my other routers, has the BEST Range, still, when weather conditions aren't good, it get's as low as 28-34% of signal strength and it needs about 40% to get me 6-12MBs of download speed.

THANKS !
Smile
Sponsor
Per Yngve Berg
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2020 22:09    Post subject: Reply with quote
Get a pair of outdoor APS.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Search & Find, Sales & Offers All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: