Stuck @ DD-WRT Control Panel after Flashing - Help get back

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Marvell MVEBU based Hardware (WRT1900AC etc.)
Goto page 1, 2  Next
jimzman
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2020 0:09    Post subject: Stuck @ DD-WRT Control Panel after Flashing - Help get back Reply with quote
First off I have a Linksys WRT 1200 AC router. I couldn't get the newer version of DD-WRT to install so I installed an older one. I am not sure what happened but I get stuck on this DD-WRT Control Panel screen that has 3 boxes full of dots that looks like stuff is already filled in, then a line saying 100%,next line says Very Strong, and then a tab to Change Password. I cannot move past this point. I cannot reset the router back to factory settings using every possible process that Google can provide.

It has blue text that looks like a hyperlink that says: DD-WRT v3.0-r40167 std (06/30/19). I assume that is the version of the dd-wrt software that I was able to install.

What can I do to get this thing working? At this point I don't care if I use the dd-wrt or get it back to the factory settings. I am really at a loss. Can anyone help? Thnak you for reading all of this. Thanks in advance for any guidance.
Sponsor
msoengineer
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2020 1:16    Post subject: Reply with quote
This is the default screen after you have flashed the router. It's asking you to change the username and password of the router, otherwise you can keep the defaults that were baked in at the factory and appear on the bottom label of the router. Though, sometimes the password can be wrong, so it's highly recommended to make a new Username and Password and then hit the change password button and then you'll be taken to the main gui to set other settings of the router.

TIPS/TRICKS: Best QCA Wifi Settings | Latency tricks | QoS Port priority | NEVER USE MU-MIMO |
Why to NOT use MU-MIMO | Max Wifi Pwr by Country | Linux Wifi Pwr | AC MCS & AX MCS | QCA 5Ghz chnls to use | WIFI Freq WIKI | TFTP R7800 | Don't buy AX | IPERF3 How-To

[R9000]52396 nightly (Main Router)
[EA8500]43192 & 45493 (2xOffsite)
[R7800] resting
[WDR3600]BS 44715 (Offsite)
[A7v5]BS 43038 (Offsite+spare napping)
msoengineer
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2020 1:18    Post subject: Reply with quote
Also, next time make sure to post in the right forums and pictures need to be 768 pixels wide.

TIPS/TRICKS: Best QCA Wifi Settings | Latency tricks | QoS Port priority | NEVER USE MU-MIMO |
Why to NOT use MU-MIMO | Max Wifi Pwr by Country | Linux Wifi Pwr | AC MCS & AX MCS | QCA 5Ghz chnls to use | WIFI Freq WIKI | TFTP R7800 | Don't buy AX | IPERF3 How-To

[R7800] resting
jimzman
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2020 19:36    Post subject: Reply with quote
I am sorry about not following the rules. Read them and will comply from now on. Thanks for saving my post!

Ok So I changed the password. It says Changing Password then nothing. I refresh the page and it goes right back to the Change Password page. Nothing changed. I turned the router off and back on. Still stuck at the Change Password page. Man this is nuts! I have also tried on Google Chrome and on Firefox browsers to see if that made a difference.
msoengineer
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2020 19:50    Post subject: Reply with quote
Try installing opera and run it in "incognito"/"private" mode and try again.

Power on the router, hit the reset button for ~10 seconds, and let the reset button go. This will reset the router and then try logging into the router via opera.

As of late I have noticed goofy shit with my chrome install and dd-wrt... Could also be your anti-virus has web filtering capabilities and is blocking stuff... AVG has been giving me grief too.

[R7800] resting
jimzman
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2020 20:18    Post subject: Reply with quote
I installed Opera and opened a Private Window. I did the reset procedure and logged in from Opera. Same exact page and situation as before. Is this thing bricked?
jimzman
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2020 20:34    Post subject: Reply with quote
msoengineer wrote:
Try installing opera and run it in "incognito"/"private" mode and try again.

Power on the router, hit the reset button for ~10 seconds, and let the reset button go. This will reset the router and then try logging into the router via opera.

As of late I have noticed goofy shit with my chrome install and dd-wrt... Could also be your anti-virus has web filtering capabilities and is blocking stuff... AVG has been giving me grief too.

I turned off my antivirus as well and retried. Didn't seem to make a difference.
Monza
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2020 20:39    Post subject: Reply with quote
If you have any security browser addons like NoScript etc. make sure the 192.168.1.1 address is "Trusted" or allowed. I've had similar problems when upgrading a router from a friends computer where I could enter data but the input was not allowed to reach the router GUI by NoScript. Trusting the router address in NoScript allowed the data to be received by the GUI and function as expected. Something to check??
jimzman
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2020 20:54    Post subject: Reply with quote
Monza wrote:
If you have any security browser addons like NoScript etc. make sure the 192.168.1.1 address is "Trusted" or allowed. I've had similar problems when upgrading a router from a friends computer where I could enter data but the input was not allowed to reach the router GUI by NoScript. Trusting the router address in NoScript allowed the data to be received by the GUI and function as expected. Something to check??

Thanks. I have just installed Firefox and Opera brand new today and have not installed any add-ons to these. I am still getting the same outcome. Confused
bushant
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2020 21:01    Post subject: Reply with quote
And just to be sure you understand what you are looking at,
the top box is for changing username
lower 2 boxes are password and repeat password.

Some people don't change username, I always do.

Figured you knew all this but....

Before asking for help - Read the forum guidelines AND Upgrade DD-WRT!
Adblock by eibgrad + Blocklist Collection
jimzman
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2020 21:15    Post subject: Reply with quote
bushant wrote:
And just to be sure you understand what you are looking at,
the top box is for changing username
lower 2 boxes are password and repeat password.

Some people don't change username, I always do.

Figured you knew all this but....

I actually had no idea what all the slots were for since I can't see any text associated with the inputs. I changed the bottom 2 boxes to a new password. This doesn't seem to make any difference nor can I get to a login page of any sorts.
bushant
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2020 21:36    Post subject: Reply with quote
Not sure yet how this might help but I "think" telnet is enabled by default.

You might see if you can get in using that
username always root
password your guess as good as mine, same as on label, same minus last char, one you set, other?

I may have dreamed all this Shocked

jimzman
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2020 21:42    Post subject: Reply with quote
bushant wrote:
Not sure yet how this might help but I "think" telnet is enabled by default.

You might see if you can get in using that
username always root
password your guess as good as mine, same as on label, same minus last char, one you set, other?

I may have dreamed all this Shocked

I can't get to the log in page. I am stuck at the Change password page and cannot move forward. This has had to happen to someone other than I. I can't log in, I can't click on anything to move to another page.
bushant
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2020 21:48    Post subject: Reply with quote
I was talking about using command terminal (Putty and telnet).

I don't think it will work but might be worth a try.

SurprisedItWorks
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2020 22:51    Post subject: Reply with quote
I keep a few notes from the new-build thread of each new release. For 40167 my note says only "GUI disaster, recovery difficulty, build should be unposted." Never load a build without reading through its new-build thread first.

The previous build, 40134, was a decent one for my WRT1900ACSv2. If you need a build of that rough vintage for some reason, check its new-build thread for comments on the 1200 (user Monza generally reports on the 1200). Or take a look at 44048 or the latest build as alternatives. But get away from 40167 if you can. Those words "recovery difficulty" are ominous. I've only noted similar in one other build since I started taking notes.

2x Netgear XR500 and 3x Linksys WRT1900ACSv2 on 53544: VLANs, VAPs, NAS, station mode, OpenVPN client (AirVPN), wireguard server (AirVPN port forward) and clients (AzireVPN, AirVPN, private), 3 DNSCrypt providers via VPN.
Goto page 1, 2  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 1 of 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Marvell MVEBU based Hardware (WRT1900AC etc.) All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: