COVID-19

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> General Questions
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2020 3:33    Post subject: Reply with quote
Around '96ish or so. A whole lotta details I could share, but. RH 5.1 was around '98. My first release of RedHat was 4.2 (Biltmore), then 5.2 (Apollo). The official program didn't happen until 2002 or so, but some of us have cards that pre-date that. My first distro was Slackware, though. My issue with RedHat was losing network on reboot after install, using the ol' generic Tulip fast ethernet cards. Always had to manipulate the interfaces file. So, I didn't give Fedora any love because I wasn't going to keep dealing with that when Debian and Slackware just worked. I still use Slackware, Debian, and Ubuntu for personal use. Unfortunately, I *have* to maintain use of Windows, too.
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (PolitePol)
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (RSS Everything)

----------------------
Linux User #377467 counter.li.org / linuxcounter.net
Sponsor
lexridge
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2020 15:47    Post subject: Reply with quote
kernel-panic69 wrote:
Around '96ish or so. A whole lotta details I could share, but. RH 5.1 was around '98. My first release of RedHat was 4.2 (Biltmore), then 5.2 (Apollo). The official program didn't happen until 2002 or so, but some of us have cards that pre-date that. My first distro was Slackware, though. My issue with RedHat was losing network on reboot after install, using the ol' generic Tulip fast ethernet cards. Always had to manipulate the interfaces file. So, I didn't give Fedora any love because I wasn't going to keep dealing with that when Debian and Slackware just worked. I still use Slackware, Debian, and Ubuntu for personal use. Unfortunately, I *have* to maintain use of Windows, too.

Oh yea, I remember the old tulip driver and the problems with it. I also remember buying the Maxtor drives that came with the free Fast IDE card which one had to compile the kernel module for. It was very worth it, at the time as it was way faster than motherboard IDE buses.

Even though I said I have never owned a Windows computer, doesn't mean I don't work with Windows. My job requires me to use Windows 10 to maintain Linux servers. Odd, I know, but true. I also once had a shop that built custom computers, 90% of which were Windows installs for gamers. UGh! Wink

Oh, you are right. Wow is my memory off. I guess it was around '98. I just looked up the Commodore Wiki and it was ~'96 when they went belly up, not '92 as I originally thought.

Netgear R7800 (WDS-AP, WAP, VAP) - DD-WRT r53562
Features in use: multiple VLANs over single trunk port

Linksys EA8500 WDS Station x2 - DD-WRT r53562

Netgear R6400v2 WAP, VAP 2.4ghz only w/VLANs over single trunk port.

OSes: Fedora 38, 9 RPis (2,3,4,5), 20 ESP8266s: Straight from Amiga to Linux in '94, never having owned a Windows PC.

Forum member #248
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2020 16:26    Post subject: Reply with quote
RedHat was the only distro I recall that was a b*tch with Tulip cards. Debian and Slackware post-install reboot was always flawless with them for me.

Gaming is what got me back into computers way back when. One of the LAN gaming events I went to years ago, ran into a guy running some of the game servers. Hello, Slackware.

Doing some of the things I do now is why I own anything running Windows. I could easily replace Windows, but. I remember a certain network that had RH5.2 PDC and BDC running an NT4 network. And there was no using Windows to maintain those servers involved. Not sure exactly what you mean there. I don't even employ Windows to maintain a mixed environment most of the time.

----------------------
harmonmonic
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2020 12:48    Post subject: Reply with quote
ho1Aetoo wrote:
just a few links, i guess you understand German?

https://www.t-online.de/nachrichten/deutschland/id_87556436/coronavirus-fuer-viele-covid-19-kranke-gibt-es-keine-tests.html listenclear reviews

https://www.rbb-online.de/abendschau/videos/20200319_1930/Corona_wg.html

https://www.haz.de/Hannover/Aus-der-Stadt/Ehepaar-mit-Corona-Verdacht-in-Hannover-Niemand-wollte-uns-testen

This is very different from region to region, but mostly those affected do not know whom to contact

the family doctor refers to the health department and does not want to treat

one should not come to the clinic either

and the health department again refers to the family doctor, etc

the health department is usually responsible and they decide whether to take a test based on the risk group

Usually they don't take a test and put prophylactically in their home quarantine for at least 14 days and call from time to time to ask how they feel

Thank you for information. Added to bookmarks
crakit95
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2020 18:26    Post subject: Reply with quote
ho1Aetoo wrote:
I am from Germany and I can assure you that many health authorities / counties only test if you have been in a crisis area or have had direct contact with a confirmed patient
we don't have the capacity to do it
just like all medical facilities run out of personalized protective equipment

+1

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2020 0:26    Post subject: Reply with quote
This year has definitely been challenging with this going on. Some of my normal healthcare routines have been difficult at best, others have not happened at all. I won't go into details. It would be great to see the light at the end of the tunnel soon. Hope everyone is staying safe, healthy, and doing well.

----------------------
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 Display posts from previous:    Page 5 of 5
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> General Questions All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: