Can't restore DIR-615 E4 firmware after botched upgrade

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
Goto page 1, 2  Next
NotShige
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2020 10:23    Post subject: Can't restore DIR-615 E4 firmware after botched upgrade Reply with quote
Hello everyone! Young newbie here.

So I just installed DD-WRT on this router only to find out that the build number was a known bad build. Wi-Fi would also drop after a couple of hours. (Shouldn't have installed the one on the router database after all...)

Now I tried to upgrade the firmware via the Web GUI, but it would just hang. Couple of minutes later I unplugged it with no changes at all, so I resorted to installing via telnet. I followed the instructions only to be greeted with a bootloop. Nice...

After this, I tried to reflash the original firmware on this via emergency mode, but it didn't work! I've also tried other firmware revisions and none of them worked as well...

After knowing that it wasn't gonna work, I took a look inside my router to see if I could find a specific firmware version here, and I did. It's AT20100920A1/5.10B09. Now, there is a FW version 5.10B09, but it didn't work. The release date also didn't match the string that I found on the router's board.

So, is my router screwed? Would appreciate any help!
Sponsor
Wildlion
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2020 21:19    Post subject: Reply with quote
My DIR-615 E3 died somewhat like that a while ago, the flash did not take and the recovery mode did not take anything. You might be able to try TFTP but the router may be dead. Have you tried any serial connections or are you past that state?
ian5142
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2020 2:38    Post subject: Bad Flash Reply with quote
I have recovered both E3 and C1 versions using the Serial / TFTP method. Just TFTP never works for me. I end up starting the TFTP request via serial. Then I can tell what the router is doing.

This page is helpful: https://openwrt.org/toh/d-link/dir-615

Also, note this from the old wiki (Browser issues): https://oldwiki.archive.openwrt.org/toh/d-link/dir-615#rev_c1_and_e4
I used Firefox Portable 13 and it did work via the GUI. I still had serial hooked up because I like to see what the router is doing.

Always go back to D-Link firmware first, then flash a dd-wrt build (make sure the factory ddwrt build will fit, <4000 bytes) There were some factory to ddwrt builds in 2019 and 2020 that will instantly brick the router (too big). No need to do a reset on either the factory or dd-wrt firmware. I did not and both of mine came up fine with my previous settings once I was back to DD-WRT.

Some dd-wrt wiki pages are up to date, others are not. PM me if you find an old one.

Atheros:
Netgear R7800 x3 - WDS AP / station, gateway, QoS
TP-Link Archer C7 v2 x2 - WDS Station
TP-Link TL-WDR3600 v1 - WDS Station
TP-Link 841nd v8 - NU
D-Link 615 C1/E3/I1 x 7 - 1 WDS station
D-Link 825 B1 - NU
D-Link 862L A1 x2 - WDS Station
Netgear WNDR3700v2 - NU
UBNT loco M2 x2 - airOS

Broadcom
Linksys EA6400 - Gateway, QoS
Asus N66U - AP
Netgear WNDR3700v3 - not used
MediaTek
UBNT EdgeRouter X - switch
NotShige
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2020 3:16    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks for the really big help guys, but turns out I didn't need to use TFTP or Serial at all! All I did was fire up an XP VM, then I flashed the firmware from there with the last compatible Firefox ESR. Now it's working properly!

Hopefully I can reinstall DD-WRT after this ordeal. Phew.
ian5142
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2020 3:23    Post subject: Latest version of DD-WRT Reply with quote
The latest version of DD-WRT should fit on the device (factory to ddwrt file).

Start there. If it bricks again, find an older ddwrt build with a smaller factory to ddwrt file.

Some dd-wrt wiki pages are up to date, others are not. PM me if you find an old one.

Atheros:
TP-Link 841nd v8 - NU
D-Link 825 B1 - NU
Netgear WNDR3700v2 - NU
UBNT loco M2 x2 - airOS

Broadcom
Asus N66U - AP
MediaTek
NotShige
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2020 3:27    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yup, the latest version bootlooped my router. Any stable build recommendations?
NotShige
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2020 6:07    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hello guys! Just wanna update ya:

So after I got back to the original firmware, every time I install DD-WRT the router would bootloop. Even trying the newst version, the "botched" version, and some others in between. But, OpenWRT did work, so I'm gonna use this from now on.

Again, thanks to you guys who helped me. You rock!
ian5142
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2020 14:09    Post subject: Try 29059 Reply with quote
Try this old version: ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/betas/2016/02-09-2016-r29059/

It worked on my C1 and E3s, factory to dd-wrt. Then upgrade to latest.

Or just give up on DD-WRT and switch to OpenWRT.

Atheros:
TP-Link 841nd v8 - NU
D-Link 825 B1 - NU
Netgear WNDR3700v2 - NU
UBNT loco M2 x2 - airOS

Broadcom
Asus N66U - AP
MediaTek
farhanshoukath
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2020 12:10    Post subject: Need help initial ugrade to DD-WRT DIR-615 E4 Reply with quote
which version of the initial bin worked? I have tried quite a few old builds as the latest one is >6MB. Tried old ones till 31899 but with no success.

Btw, my OEM firmware was at 5.13 which I got down to 5.10. But, still has no success to DD-WRT.
Tried all browser and tried Firefox Portable 13.
NotShige
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2020 13:40    Post subject: The one on the Router Database worked for me. Reply with quote
The one on the Router Database worked, but it did cause problems for me. My FW version was 5.10 but I upgraded it to the latest one on D-Link Taiwan's website. After that I put the firmware on the Router Database on HxD and matched the string on the ends of the files.

Hopefully you'll get it working as well!
NotShige
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2020 17:26    Post subject: Hello again! Reply with quote
Just wanted to return to this thread to say that 29059 did work, but after flashing the latest version it bootlooped by router. So there's that. I'm gonna be staying on OpenWRT for now since my only purpose for this is to use it as a wireless repeater. Cheers!
ian5142
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2020 23:36    Post subject: DIR-615 Reply with quote
I had 2 DIR-615 E3's that I tried to upgrade back in Aug. They bricked. I ended up leaving a 2019 build on them. I tried some builds from 2020 (randomly mainly).

E3 and E4 are identical.

I am not sure if I have access to an E3 at the moment?

If you want, I can get the current working firmware version for you from it.

Atheros:
TP-Link 841nd v8 - NU
D-Link 825 B1 - NU
Netgear WNDR3700v2 - NU
UBNT loco M2 x2 - airOS

Broadcom
Asus N66U - AP
MediaTek
Rocket222
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2020 5:42    Post subject: Reply with quote
NotShige wrote:
Thanks for the really big help guys, but turns out I didn't need to use TFTP or Serial at all! All I did was fire up an XP VM, then I flashed the firmware from there with the last compatible Firefox ESR. Now it's working properly!

Hopefully I can reinstall DD-WRT after this ordeal. Phew.

I have the bootlooping problem after installing the relatively latest dd wrt firmware on my E3 router. Would you describe the detail steps how you can flash the firmware while the router is bootlooping? Thanks.
ian5142
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2020 12:03    Post subject: D-Link Recovery Room Reply with quote
It sounds like he used the D-Link Recovery Room which has a broken HTTP webpage.

It requires using an old Firefox version (Firefox Portable 13 is known to work).

When plugging in the router, hold the reset button for about 10 seconds, until the power light changes colour.

Recovery Room is on 192.168.0.1
You will need to set a static IP on your LAN connection. Also, LAN only, no wifi. Upload a D-Link factory firmware image or the factory to dd-wrt image for build 29059 (2016 build).

Then try a webupgrade from the DD-WRT GUI using the non-factory to ddwrt file from a 2020 build. The factory file from most of the builds in 2020 are too big.

Atheros:
TP-Link 841nd v8 - NU
D-Link 825 B1 - NU
Netgear WNDR3700v2 - NU
UBNT loco M2 x2 - airOS

Broadcom
Asus N66U - AP
MediaTek
NotShige
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 3:56    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hello again!
Yup, ian5142's procedure is how I did it as well. Also, I had to go back to DD-WRT since OpenWRT would disconnect my AP once I lost connection to my main router. I flashed the 2016 version first, then to 40900 (as some people say it's a pretty stable build from browsing the forums), which is what I'm currently using now. It's been rock-solid ever since!

EDIT: Also, if you can't connect to the Emergency Room interface, just unplug it and try it a couple of times more 'til it shows up.
Goto page 1, 2  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 1 of 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: