sorry to ask for a good build for wrt32x

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Marvell MVEBU based Hardware (WRT1900AC etc.)
Goto page 1, 2  Next
foz111
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 15:25    Post subject: sorry to ask for a good build for wrt32x Reply with quote
Can anyone tell me what is a good build for the wrt32x, things move on and not been in this section for a while. Just asking for a mate who has just taken delivery of his wrt32x.
Cheers
Sponsor
rkwood
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 18:00    Post subject: Re: sorry to ask for a good build for wrt32x Reply with quote
foz111 wrote:
Can anyone tell me what is a good build for the wrt32x, things move on and not been in this section for a while. Just asking for a mate who has just taken delivery of his wrt32x.
Cheers

I am running r41380 (10/24/19, also listed as r41379) on my WRT32X. This router serves as my primary access point and is configured with many Entware applications, MediaTomb, Samba USB, QoS, OpenVPN, PBR, Client Bridges, VAPs, 2.4 GHz & 5 GHz radios both enabled, and 30+ clients connected (including iOS, Android, IoT, tablets, laptops, desktops, cameras, VoIP phones, a PBX system and a handful of streaming boxes).

My configuration is extremely stable and never goes down unless my VPN service provider performs some system maintenance or something (in which case the automatic kill switch kicks in as it is supposed to do).

The >only< three issues I have to live with are 1) using a WiFi Extender to allow a streaming box to connect to the network because it is in a mostly enclosed media niche behind a fireplace and 2) configuring one of the older IoT security devices to connect to this extender on 2.4 GHz because the proprietary Marvell chipset driver is not compatible with it, and 3) remembering to hit the "Apply" button on a few of the DD-WRT menus after rebooting in order to bring up all of the features (although having to reboot this router is a very rare event).

Here is a link to the build thread for more detailed information:

https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=321807

Be sure to load DD-WRT onto both partitions for reliable operation (NVRAM is shared between the two), and consult with some of the other contemporary threads on this Marvell subforum for tips on configuring an automatic VPN kill switch, PBR (Policy Based Routing), Entware applications, and how to conceal your DNS queries from your ISP.

A cooling fan is recommended, especially if you have positioned the router in a central location on the top floor of your home as I have. I rest the router on the fan with cool air blowing up through the router with the fan on low/silent speed. Here is a link to the Amazon product page for the fan that many of us are using with the WRT32X:

https://www.amazon.com/AC-Infinity-MULTIFAN-Receiver-Playstation/dp/B00G05A2MU/

The WRT32X is a fantastic router for most applications when coupled with a good DD-WRT build, an optional cooling fan, and when it is configured correctly for its intended application.

Congratulations to your friend for getting a WRT32X.

Randy
foz111
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 14:09    Post subject: Reply with quote
cheers, sorry i should have said a newish build as he will want to run wireguard in the near future.
just flashed him 42015 for now, we'll see how he gets on with that for now.
blkt
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 22:24    Post subject: Reply with quote
r43290 introduced new GUI features for WireGuard.

The last update is here. https://svn.dd-wrt.com/changeset/43396 (1.0.20200611)

I expect another changeset soon, as 1.0.20200623 has released.
foz111
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 8:39    Post subject: Reply with quote
i can upgrade him when he's ready, stayed away from the very latest versions as reports seemed to suggest high loads on 32x, that said, i didn't really read a lot about it, just what was posted in the new build thread.
Thanks again blkt Cool
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 12:28    Post subject: Reply with quote
The "ghost loading" issue is a webUI glitch. Not sure if it will be entirely fixed in the next release or not yet. Also don't know if it has anything to do with other internal parameters that should be changed. Top output is the defining factor.
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (PolitePol)
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (RSS Everything)

----------------------
Linux User #377467 counter.li.org / linuxcounter.net
emanon
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2020 23:49    Post subject: Reply with quote
I installed Firmware r43420 std (06/15/20) 2 days ago into my WRT32X and have not noticed any problems.
noslenwerdna
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 14:17    Post subject: I returned to stock Reply with quote
I am sure that I am going to get flamed for this but, I have had noticeably decreased performance with the DD-WRT firmware. The wifi performance was considerably decreased and there seemed to be a cap on the wired speeds to 100 meg and not the gigabit speeds that I had with the stock firmware. I hope this all gets sorted out but I finally gave up and it was fairly easy to return to stock. I may try again but not for now as I need the higher performance even at the loss of all the extended features of DD-WRT.
foz111
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 7:55    Post subject: Re: I returned to stock Reply with quote
noslenwerdna wrote:
I am sure that I am going to get flamed for this but, I have had noticeably decreased performance with the DD-WRT firmware. The wifi performance was considerably decreased and there seemed to be a cap on the wired speeds to 100 meg and not the gigabit speeds that I had with the stock firmware. I hope this all gets sorted out but I finally gave up and it was fairly easy to return to stock. I may try again but not for now as I need the higher performance even at the loss of all the extended features of DD-WRT.

The wireless (wlan) driver is a know issue and has had no development in over 2 years for all Linksys routers on any 3rd party firmware as far as i am aware.
blue9
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2020 22:40    Post subject: Re: sorry to ask for a good build for wrt32x Reply with quote
Hi Randy,

Any chance you have a link to explain how this is done?. Be sure to load DD-WRT onto both partitions for reliable operation (NVRAM is shared between the two)

The search feature is giving me nicht.
Cheers.

rkwood wrote:
foz111 wrote:
Cheers

I am running r41380 (10/24/19, also listed as r41379) on my WRT32X. This router serves as my primary access point and is configured with many Entware applications, MediaTomb, Samba USB, QoS, OpenVPN, PBR, Client Bridges, VAPs, 2.4 GHz & 5 GHz radios both enabled, and 30+ clients connected (including iOS, Android, IoT, tablets, laptops, desktops, cameras, VoIP phones, a PBX system and a handful of streaming boxes).

My configuration is extremely stable and never goes down unless my VPN service provider performs some system maintenance or something (in which case the automatic kill switch kicks in as it is supposed to do).

The >only< three issues I have to live with are 1) using a WiFi Extender to allow a streaming box to connect to the network because it is in a mostly enclosed media niche behind a fireplace and 2) configuring one of the older IoT security devices to connect to this extender on 2.4 GHz because the proprietary Marvell chipset driver is not compatible with it, and 3) remembering to hit the "Apply" button on a few of the DD-WRT menus after rebooting in order to bring up all of the features (although having to reboot this router is a very rare event).

Here is a link to the build thread for more detailed information:

https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=321807

Be sure to load DD-WRT onto both partitions for reliable operation (NVRAM is shared between the two), and consult with some of the other contemporary threads on this Marvell subforum for tips on configuring an automatic VPN kill switch, PBR (Policy Based Routing), Entware applications, and how to conceal your DNS queries from your ISP.

A cooling fan is recommended, especially if you have positioned the router in a central location on the top floor of your home as I have. I rest the router on the fan with cool air blowing up through the router with the fan on low/silent speed. Here is a link to the Amazon product page for the fan that many of us are using with the WRT32X:

https://www.amazon.com/AC-Infinity-MULTIFAN-Receiver-Playstation/dp/B00G05A2MU/

The WRT32X is a fantastic router for most applications when coupled with a good DD-WRT build, an optional cooling fan, and when it is configured correctly for its intended application.

Congratulations to your friend for getting a WRT32X.

Randy

sonoranscout
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 5:14    Post subject: Reply with quote
Just for the record, I would NOT recommend flashing both partitions on a WRT32X to DD-WRT. Recovering a partition to stock firmware is a major PIA.
foz111
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 8:20    Post subject: Reply with quote
SFTP firmware into tmp and run a CLI command is not a major PIA in my book?

sonoranscout wrote:
Just for the record, I would NOT recommend flashing both partitions on a WRT32X to DD-WRT. Recovering a partition to stock firmware is a major PIA.
Cussiv
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2020 8:17    Post subject: Reply with quote
Using WRT32x and having WIFI issues. It works but after browsing on my phones it hangs for 1-2 seconds. Really annoying. It happends on latest build and even on 44467. I just want something that works. Anyone have a build thats has a working wifi? Edit: testing 42015 and wifi signal seemed to improved abit.
blkt
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2020 9:19    Post subject: Reply with quote
https://download1.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv2/downloads/betas/2020/08-02-2020-r44048/linksys-wrt32x/

This is Mr. Fallback's build from all the recent Marvell build threads in the past month.
Cussiv
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2020 16:35    Post subject: Reply with quote
44048 build has 50% cpu bug when router is idle.. Well I don’t know! Smile maybe the wrt32x is buggy
Goto page 1, 2  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 1 of 2
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Marvell MVEBU based Hardware (WRT1900AC etc.) All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: