Issues with WPA2/WPA3 with Android 11 on WRT32x?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Marvell MVEBU based Hardware (WRT1900AC etc.)
tjbuggy2b
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2020 21:52    Post subject: Issues with WPA2/WPA3 with Android 11 on WRT32x? Reply with quote
Hey, everyone. Thanks in advance for any info. I've been Googleing my but off and searching through this forum but haven't found anyone talking about it. So, if I missed it, apologies.

tl;dr: Has anyone had issues with WPA2/WPA3 Personal on WRT32x with Android 11 (maybe even Android 10)?

So, I've been running DD-WRT 307xx (I forget the actual build) without issue for a couple years, running WPA2 PSK/WPA3 PSK. A few days ago, my Pixel 3 updated to Android 11. Today, I noticed that the WiFi wouldn't connect. But my new Sony TV with Android OS had no issue. I can't say absolutely for sure that it coincided with the Android 11 update, but that's the only thing that has changed recently.

Anyway, lots of troubleshooting later, I figure out that if I dumb things down to WPA2 PSK, then my phone works fine.

A lot of tinkering later and I begin to suspect that maybe there is an incompatibility between my build of DD-WRT and Android 11. (Honestly, I don't remember everything that I looked at.)

So, I updated to the 40559 build. At first, it seemed like that fixed the issue but after a few minutes the same things started occurring. Also, now my TV won't connect.

In the interest in getting things working asap, I Venom flashed (I had overwritten both directories). Needless to say, I don't want to stay on Venom for any longer than necessary. Everything is working now, but the most recent build of Linksys image still only supports WPA2 Personal.

Has anyone heard of anything similar?
Sponsor
Zyxx
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2020 22:13    Post subject: Reply with quote
The build r40559 is a bad one, usage might result in all kind of problems. I'd suggest to have a look into the last few build threads here.
Find a more recent release and commit further testing.

WPA3 seems to be a root cause of trouble for router and mobile manufacturers, not even related to dd-wrt.
*shrugs*
My devices do not support WPA3 yet, I cannot issue anymore input, sry Sad
tjbuggy2b
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2020 1:03    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks for the reply. That's in line with what I was thinking. I used that build because it was the listed in the supported builds dropdown on the Router Database page. That being said, the whole dropdown list is beta builds. I couldn't find a stable build list.
Zyxx
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2020 10:15    Post subject: Reply with quote
Since a few years dd-wrt switched to regular beta builds, instead of offering one "take this" release.

With so many changes happening in services, kernel and IT in general a stable release is always out of date.

The beta builds are of good quality and (if no one mentions bad things in the build threads) save to flash.

The Router Database is "strange", do not use it.
Taken from the database itself:
Code:

This database may not have up-to-date information and may even recommend a build which might cause issues. As such, you should check the device specific forum (Broadcom, Atheros, MediaTek, etc.) first before flashing any build recommended in this database. There you will find build specific topics that discuss any issues with a particular build/release. For more up-to-date firmware files, please visit the firmware faq.

Link to most recent build thread for r44467 (09/24/2020):
https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=326666
tjbuggy2b
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2020 22:51    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks!
raywan
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2020 15:18    Post subject: Reply with quote
I am wrt32x and wrt1900acs v2 user and using the latest firmware(r44406).
I was trying to use wpa2/wpa3 for my android 10 phone but no luck. It always has connection problem. Something like cannot connect to AP with correct password and wireless setting. I tried many many days to solve the WPA3 problem with android or iphone and change all wireless setting. Same as before. Now i am use WPA2-AES only and change key renewal interval to 600s. Hope it cannot easily be cracked.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Marvell MVEBU based Hardware (WRT1900AC etc.) All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: