1Gb connection getting >100 up/down with R7000 AC2300

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
twdean
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2020 17:39    Post subject: 1Gb connection getting >100 up/down with R7000 AC2300 Reply with quote
Hi everyone. I have a Nighthawk AC2300 that has been nothing but trouble since day 1. I've resolved the intermittent Wi-Fi drops, but my Internet speed is still extremely low. I have a 1Gb Verizon FIOS line that i am getting ~100Mbps up and down. When I bypass the router and connect directly to the ONT I get ~980Mbps up/down.

To mitigate this issue, I have done the following:
1) Upgraded Netgear firmware to latest and greatest with no change
2) Uninstalled and reset, upgraded to DD-WRT v3.0-r44406 std (09/18/20)
3) Disabled QOS
4) Changed MTU several times (currently at 1468)

Ive searched the forums but haven't found anything that has helped. My ONT is I-211M-L.

Any help is appreciated, I spent 3 weeks on the WI-FI before stabilizing that with the dd-wrt firmware.
Sponsor
blkt
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2020 17:46    Post subject: Reply with quote
I don't have R7000, though I do find myself at times considering to find one used cheap for playing around.

You have a serious internet connection, so I recommend R7800 or R9000 (would recommend them anyway).

Is your 100Mbps over Ethernet?
twdean
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2020 17:51    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yeah, I'm wondering if I should just return this thing. It dropped Wi-Fi every day for every single device in the house. Laptops, tvs, phones etc. Brutal. We have 2 adults here trying to work and a kid doing remote schooling.

EDIT: Good question... thats Wi-Fi from my workstation with AC on the 5Ghz wlan. I will plug directly in with a laptop and report back. I did that with the original firmware and there wasnt much difference, but forgot to do that with this upgrade.

Last edited by twdean on Fri Sep 25, 2020 17:54; edited 1 time in total
blkt
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2020 17:52    Post subject: Reply with quote
The Qualcomm Atheros wifi hardware and support overall is much better than Broadcom.

If you can return it for R7800 you won't regret it. R9000 is overpriced for what it is, but also great (same 9984 radio chips).

In general do not use auto channel, so manually assign channel width, extension channel then wireless channel (save each).

https://wiki.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Netgear_R7000 | https://wiki.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Basic_Wireless_Settings

Netgear R7800 Install Guide | https://forum.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/QCA_wireless_settings
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: