Russian version DIR-882 not upgradeable to stock or DD WRT

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Forum Index -> Ralink SoC based Hardware
Author Message
As21
DD-WRT Novice


Joined: 18 Aug 2018
Posts: 6

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 15:26    Post subject: Russian version DIR-882 not upgradeable to stock or DD WRT Reply with quote
I have a Russian version of DIR-882 and i cant update it to any version even stock via d link web UI.
I tired entering to recovery and for some reason i am getting instead to Failsafe UI and when i try to upload
there the broly factory-to-ddwrt-SE.bin it fails with this message: ERROR - the image you uploaded failed to pass verification.
Please make sure to use an official update.

getting the same error when i want to update to 1.10 from 1.0 on web ui or failsafe ui.

Am i doing something wrong with the way i try to enter recovery mode on this router ?
Sponsor
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru


Joined: 08 May 2018
Posts: 8559
Location: Texas, USA

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 16:09    Post subject: Reply with quote
AFAIK, only the A1 version is supported:

https://wiki.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Supported_Devices#D-Link

Initial support was in 33006:

https://download1.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv2/downloads/betas/2017/08-03-2017-r33006/dlink-dir882-a1/

Current BS public beta:

https://download1.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv2/downloads/betas/2020/01-18-2020-r42015/dlink-dir882-a1/

_________________
Official Forum Rules, Guidelines & Helpful InformationFirmware FAQInstallation WikiWhere Do I Download Firmware?
DON'T use Chromium-based browsersRTFM/STFW TL;DR is NOT an excuse. • Why Should I Care What Color the Bikeshed Is?
Please DO NOT PM me with questions; Ask in the forum. ---------------------- Linux User #377467 counter.li.org / linuxcounter.net
As21
DD-WRT Novice


Joined: 18 Aug 2018
Posts: 6

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 16:57    Post subject: Reply with quote
Its says A1 HW version on the label and for some reason FW version on the label is 3.5.0 and 1.0.0 on the Dlink Web UI.

Could it be that Russian firmware is locked and cant be upgraded ?
If so is there a workaround ? TFTP the firmware or something ?
maxiscool
DD-WRT Novice


Joined: 14 Feb 2012
Posts: 10

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2020 13:37    Post subject: Re: Russian version DIR-882 not upgradeable to stock or DD W Reply with quote
As21 wrote:
I have a Russian version of DIR-882 and i cant update it to any version even stock via d link web UI.
I tired entering to recovery and for some reason i am getting instead to Failsafe UI and when i try to upload
there the broly factory-to-ddwrt-SE.bin it fails with this message: ERROR - the image you uploaded failed to pass verification.
Please make sure to use an official update.

getting the same error when i want to update to 1.10 from 1.0 on web ui or failsafe ui.

Am i doing something wrong with the way i try to enter recovery mode on this router ?


Have you figure out how to bypass this?
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru


Joined: 08 May 2018
Posts: 8559
Location: Texas, USA

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2020 13:52    Post subject: Reply with quote
Only thing I can suggest is putting it in recovery mode. Google D-Link Emergency Room.
_________________
Official Forum Rules, Guidelines & Helpful InformationFirmware FAQInstallation WikiWhere Do I Download Firmware?
DON'T use Chromium-based browsersRTFM/STFW TL;DR is NOT an excuse. • Why Should I Care What Color the Bikeshed Is?
Please DO NOT PM me with questions; Ask in the forum. ---------------------- Linux User #377467 counter.li.org / linuxcounter.net
maxiscool
DD-WRT Novice


Joined: 14 Feb 2012
Posts: 10

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2020 16:59    Post subject: Reply with quote
kernel-panic69 wrote:
Only thing I can suggest is putting it in recovery mode. Google D-Link Emergency Room.


Thanks. Tried it as well I managed to get to failsafe UI, but when putting firmware and upload, the error "ERROR - the image you uploaded failed to pass verification.
Please make sure to use an official update." appears.

It seems there is somekind of checking on the upload file.
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru


Joined: 08 May 2018
Posts: 8559
Location: Texas, USA

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2020 17:15    Post subject: Reply with quote
Probably need to try to revert to the oldest stock US firmware version. This may be an issue specific to the RU version (?).

https://sushantbhosale.com/install-dd-wrt-d-link-dir-882/

ftp://ftp2.dlink.com/PRODUCTS/DIR-882/REVA/DIR-882_REVA_FIRMWARE_v1.01B02.zip

That's about the only advice I have.

_________________
Official Forum Rules, Guidelines & Helpful InformationFirmware FAQInstallation WikiWhere Do I Download Firmware?
DON'T use Chromium-based browsersRTFM/STFW TL;DR is NOT an excuse. • Why Should I Care What Color the Bikeshed Is?
Please DO NOT PM me with questions; Ask in the forum. ---------------------- Linux User #377467 counter.li.org / linuxcounter.net
maxiscool
DD-WRT Novice


Joined: 14 Feb 2012
Posts: 10

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2020 6:08    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thank again, give it a try, still facing the same problem.

Yeah I guess so related to specific release version.I would be out of luck then.
pyckle
DD-WRT Novice


Joined: 21 Sep 2020
Posts: 2

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2020 18:59    Post subject: Reply with quote
I have the same model and had the same issue. The Failsafe UI in the R1 Bootloader checks two salted hashes with magic numbers appear at the end of the firmware image. The RU FTP only signs with one of them (the latter salt), and therefore the verification step fails.

You can probably get the RU images to be accepted by signing them with this script: https://pastebin.com/5wGYjTsn

Note that the mtd blocks are partitioned differently in the R1 model, and a firmware image for the A1 revision will not work with the R1 revision.

Please let me know if this script works for you.
ciscodlink
DD-WRT User


Joined: 13 May 2014
Posts: 255

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 12:15    Post subject: Reply with quote
pyckle wrote:
I have the same model and had the same issue. The Failsafe UI in the R1 Bootloader checks two salted hashes with magic numbers appear at the end of the firmware image. The RU FTP only signs with one of them (the latter salt), and therefore the verification step fails.

You can probably get the RU images to be accepted by signing them with this script: https://pastebin.com/5wGYjTsn

Note that the mtd blocks are partitioned differently in the R1 model, and a firmware image for the A1 revision will not work with the R1 revision.

Please let me know if this script works for you.


i am trying to flash this back to the A1 firmware,theoretically can i use this script to sign a US unsigned firmware and use R1 Bootloader to flash?
pyckle
DD-WRT Novice


Joined: 21 Sep 2020
Posts: 2

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2021 15:05    Post subject: Reply with quote
ciscodlink wrote:
i am trying to flash this back to the A1 firmware,theoretically can i use this script to sign a US unsigned firmware and use R1 Bootloader to flash?


No. It will flash, but not boot.

The partition layouts are different. The kernel image in the A1 image isn't where the R1 bootloader looks for it.
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru


Joined: 08 May 2018
Posts: 8559
Location: Texas, USA

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2021 19:09    Post subject: Reply with quote
So, basically the only out is to either flash the A1 bootloader, or figure out how to craft a proper DD-WRT image to flash to the R1. SO, that means someone needs to donate hardware or provide serial boot log and fullflash dump, etc.

https://dd-wrt.com/donations/

https://dd-wrt.com/router-detection

The RU site doesn't have any firmware downloads, apparently:

https://www.dlink.ru/mn/products/5/2239_b.html

But OpenWRT supports the R1:

https://openwrt.org/toh/hwdata/d-link/d-link_dir-882_r1

_________________
Official Forum Rules, Guidelines & Helpful InformationFirmware FAQInstallation WikiWhere Do I Download Firmware?
DON'T use Chromium-based browsersRTFM/STFW TL;DR is NOT an excuse. • Why Should I Care What Color the Bikeshed Is?
Please DO NOT PM me with questions; Ask in the forum. ---------------------- Linux User #377467 counter.li.org / linuxcounter.net
Display posts from previous:    Page 1 of 1
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Forum Index -> Ralink SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum