Enabling WPA2-AES prevents wifi from working

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Esher
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 14:54    Post subject: Enabling WPA2-AES prevents wifi from working Reply with quote
Device: D-Link DIR-882 A1
Build: DD-WRT v3.0-r40559 std (08/06/19)

So after installing this version of DD-WRT, everything works great. LAN connection speeds are good, I can access the internet, WiFi works great.

Then I turn on WPA2-AES (or for that matter ANY wifi security AT ALL) and suddenly no device can connect to it.

My Windows laptop just gives me the message "Unable to connect to network" with no other explanation. My Android phone just keeps trying to connect, fails, tries again.

It should also be noted that this is 100% a DD-WRT problem as both OpenWRT's snapshot build for this device, and the device's default firmware work fine.

Things I've tried:
- Flashing it back to its factory image, than reinstalling DD-WRT. Twice.
- Installed OpenWRT then reinstalled DD-WRT.
- Hard reset more times than I can count.
- Changing SSIDs
- Changing Wifi channels
- Using the same SSID for both radios
- Using different SSID for both radios
- Using WPA2 with every other available algorithm
- Searching these forums and google for over 12 bloody hours.

In my research into this problem I have come across several people who have had similar issues over the years, and absolutely no solutions.

I'm so goddamned frustrated right now because the stock firmware doesn't handle our Gigabit network properly (limits to 200MB down/100mb up). DD-WRT is the only firmware so far that I actually get full Gigabit bandwidth to all our machines.

Edit: So added another attempt to fix this problem by installing an older version of DD-WRT. This problem still occurs with build 36527 as well.
Sponsor
egc
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 15:15    Post subject: Reply with quote
You are using an old and crappy build.

See the forum guidelines link in my signature at the bottom of this post

Forum Guide Lines (important read):https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=324087
Esher
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 15:35    Post subject: Reply with quote
Maybe so, but if you look at the router database, it is the latest build available for this router.

I was told by DD-WRT documentary to only use the firmware listed for the router. I should use one that isn't listed for the router?
RageX
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 15:39    Post subject: Reply with quote
Esher wrote:
Maybe so, but if you look at the router database, it is the latest build available for this router.

I was told by DD-WRT documentary to only use the firmware listed for the router. I should use one that isn't listed for the router?

Did you even read the post that egc referred to? In particular point 8 and point 9 of that post. You made a post in this forum without reading any of the stickies.

You are using an old and crappy build. Try the latest build.

Read through your model's thread https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=310590

If nothing works try the experimental driver for the latest build.
Esher
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 16:02    Post subject: Reply with quote
Right. Ok.. So, let's go through why this happened:

1) What's the first thing a person trying to install DD-WRT sees when they come to your website? A big "Router database" button. The same one that years ago, on my Linksys WRT, I used to install DD-WRT, as per INSTRUCTIONS from your website. Naturally, anyone with half a brain that's flashed custom firmware on anything before is going to use that to find their hardware and lookup compatible builds. So when they find those builds there, and instructions on how to install them OF COURSE THEY ARE GOING TO USE THAT BUILD.

2) YOUR WEBSITE TELLS USERS TO USE THE ROUTER DATABASE RIGHT ON THE FIRST PAGE. If you're not supposed to use the bloody router database, why the hell do you have instructions to use the router database on the main page?

3) I went through 6 goddamned long winded posts of stickies and never once got directed to the posts you refer to.

In short, the communication on this forum and website is CATASTROPHICALLY bad. What happened to this place in the years since I last came here? It used to be so easy and clear.

F- to this whole convoluted mess of a site.
egc
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 16:10    Post subject: Reply with quote
On the first page of the router database:

Quote:
DISCLAIMER

This database may not have up-to-date information and may even recommend a build which might cause issues. As such, you should check the device specific forum (Broadcom, Atheros, MediaTek, etc.) first before flashing any build recommended in this database. There you will find build specific topics that discuss any issues with a particular build/release. For more up-to-date firmware files, please visit the firmware faq.

YOU HAVE BEEN GIVEN FRIENDLY AND FAIR NOTICE

When you are stuck ask for help, you did and within minutes users are pointing you in the right direction.

So you are welcome Smile

We do not control the router database we only control the forum Sad

Forum Guide Lines (important read):https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=324087
RageX
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 16:13    Post subject: Reply with quote
Esher wrote:
Right. Ok.. So, let's go through why this happened:

1) What's the first thing a person trying to install DD-WRT sees when they come to your website? A big "Router database" button. The same one that years ago, on my Linksys WRT, I used to install DD-WRT, as per INSTRUCTIONS from your website. Naturally, anyone with half a brain that's flashed custom firmware on anything before is going to use that to find their hardware and lookup compatible builds. So when they find those builds there, and instructions on how to install them OF COURSE THEY ARE GOING TO USE THAT BUILD.

2) YOUR WEBSITE TELLS USERS TO USE THE ROUTER DATABASE RIGHT ON THE FIRST PAGE. If you're not supposed to use the bloody router database, why the hell do you have instructions to use the router database on the main page?

3) I went through 6 goddamned long winded posts of stickies and never once got directed to the posts you refer to.

In short, the communication on this forum and website is CATASTROPHICALLY bad. What happened to this place in the years since I last came here? It used to be so easy and clear.

F- to this whole convoluted mess of a site.

If you spent 12 hours searching on this forum and Google, properly, you would have found all the answers that you were looking for without needing to waste all our time with your questions.

There are multiple threads on this forums saying that you should never use the router database as it is not up to date. The mods and the forum users here do not have access or control over the router database. There is a very long and convoluted reason for that and you would have found it if you completed your research Laughing

The forums have been a mess since 2009. How long ago are you talking about Rolling Eyes
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: