[help] internet slowdown - Torrents - R7000

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
keitocorp

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2020 18:07    Post subject: [help] internet slowdown - Torrents - R7000 Reply with quote
For half a year now I've been having issues with my internet connection. At first i didn't know what was the cause (maybe bad landline i.e. stuff happens).
But i now narrowed it down to when i download torrents.

Because i don't download torrents often i first didn't notice it at first nor did i knew where the problem was.

What happens?
when downloading a torrent my internet connection basically drops to 0kbps. if i were watching YouTube i.e. it would stop playing because it can't load anymore. It's very inconsistent as it breaks the internet for a couple of minutes and then it works again. this goes up and down within minutes.
trying a speedtest would result this https://postimg.cc/NLGKpyqB

technical details
Router: Netgear Nighthawk R7000 - AC1900 Smart WiFi Router
Firmware: DD-WRT v3.0-r44191 std (08/15/20)
Kernel: Linux 4.4.232[/code]

What i tried
I tried different cables, connections (switches, directly to router), torrent-clients, types of torrents, ports, computers, but none solved the problem.
NOTE: there have been many changes (no more modem, different pc etc) since the problem started so it has been a challenge to figure out where the problem could lie.

i still had an older firmware on my router (a Kong build, one of his last). so i updated my router, which looked like it was solved but alas. (current version listed above).

Come to current day, i think the problem lies in my router and/or it's settings and this is where i ask your help with.

i saw this post https://wiki.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Torrent so i tried to diagnose it but i lack understanding of what this all means.
Code:
cat /proc/sys/net/ipv4/netfilter/ip_conntrack_max
32768 # this is the default number on my router
grep -c ^udp /proc/net/ip_conntrack
333 # These numbers vary but from when i tried they vary between 90-500ish
grep -c ^tcp /proc/net/ip_conntrack
426   # like the UDP, it varies between 90-500ish

as far as i understand it, that would look ok right? it doesn't go near the max conntrack.

Code:
cat /var/log/messages

the log unfortunately doesn't show much. (maybe i need to enable verbose somewhere?) at the time of testing all i see it the NTP server connections. at least nothing like "<4>kernel: ip_conntrack: table full, dropping packet."

my 'IP Filter Settings' were default
Maximum Ports: 32768
TCP Timeout: 3600
UDP Timeout: 120

I tried changing the Timeouts a bit (on the site it says 600/30) but it doesn't change much. although i do feel like i have internet back sooner, but seeing it keeps jumping up and down... i'm not sure what i'm doing.

Is this a problem in my DD-WRT settings? Hope you guys can help me out.

Update: i forgot to mention, i have syslog enabled and i have a 200/20mbit internet connection (for perspective)
Sponsor
foz111
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2020 9:47    Post subject: Reply with quote
If this only happens on torrents your isp maybe throttling you? try bypassing with a vpn or try another router to confirm it's down to R7000
keitocorp

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2020 10:42    Post subject: Reply with quote
i did consider my ISP being the problem (haven't ruled it out) but seeing i didn't have issues with it before i changed router I'm leaning towards my own router.

up to about January this year, the ISP modem was providing DHCP and such. i had no issues with torrents then.
Now the ISP modem is in bridge-mode so it's only sending out the IP address of my ISP and my router is the one that is doing all the heavy lifting.

I'll see if i can get a VPN somehow to test this out.

update: i managed to find a trial VPN and i still had the same problem when i had a VPN enabled.
Alozaros
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2020 13:23    Post subject: Reply with quote
no idea what happens, but consider, refash and reset,
do not load settings from file, do the settings manually..do not use 30/30/30 reset, use the button...or GUI reset to defaults..

also...try to set TCP congestion control to VEGAS,
make sure your modem is in real bridge mode, without any firewalls or so...consider updating to the last build for R7000...or keep using the old Kong build, that was working well...currently there is a lot of Work In Progress on the new firmware builds...
Do you have any firewall rules that may affect your performance...??
is this happens over WiFi only , it could be a bad settings or bad client incompatibility...

TP-Link WR1043NDv2 -Gargoyle OS 1.15.x AP,DNS,QoS,Quotas
Qualcomm-Atheros
Netgear XR500 --DD-WRT 55779 Gateway/DoH,Forced DNS,AP Isolation,4VLAN,Ad-Block,Firewall,Vanilla
Netgear R7800 --DD-WRT 55819 Gateway/DoT,AD-Block,Forced DNS,AP&Net Isolation,x3VLAN,Firewall,Vanilla
Netgear R9000 --DD-WRT 55779 Gateway/DoT,AD-Block,AP Isolation,Firewall,Forced DNS,x2VLAN,Vanilla
Broadcom
Netgear R7000 --DD-WRT 55460 Gateway/SmartDNS/DoH,AD-Block,Firewall,Forced DNS,x3VLAN,VPN
NOT USING 5Ghz ANYWHERE
------------------------------------------------------
Stubby DNS over TLS I DNSCrypt v2 by mac913
santyx32
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2020 14:18    Post subject: Reply with quote
Probably a hardware problem since other DD-WRT users don't experience it, I have a R6400v2 with bizarre bugs on custom firmware but stock works.

I was never able of troubleshoot and fix it, ended up buying a QCA based router

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 18:04    Post subject: Reply with quote
after some more testing and considering what @santyx32 said, i also ended up buying another router. tested it with stock firmware and dd-wrt (unconfigured) and i have no issues with downloading torrents.

got full internet connection while downloading a torrent with 10mb/s etc.

So it seems like @syntax32 said that it's a hardware problem.
santyx32
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2020 20:42    Post subject: Reply with quote
keitocorp wrote:
after some more testing and considering what @santyx32 said, i also ended up buying another router. tested it with stock firmware and dd-wrt (unconfigured) and i have no issues with downloading torrents.

got full internet connection while downloading a torrent with 10mb/s etc.

So it seems like @syntax32 said that it's a hardware problem.

Indeed, I can have my Mikrotik router up for weeks with SQM enabled without any single slowdown or WiFi drop.

The R6400v2 can't last more than minute without giving me problems so its hardware it's definitely damaged and thus not a software problem, thanks guys anyways!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: