comcast gigabit - getting slower speeds now ??

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
dustinarden
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2019 2:44    Post subject: Reply with quote
okay ... used the DDWRT GUI to reset to defaults. Didnt change a single thing other than default password.

speedtest had me at like 60ish down.

enabled Shortcut Forwarding Engine and rebooted the router.

back to like 100mbps down.

SFE was literally the only thing I changed from default config. i dont know what to make of it. i dont want to give up DDWRT.
Sponsor
egc
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2019 11:49    Post subject: Reply with quote
Did you reset to defaults by telnetting into your router and do:
Code:
nvram erase && reboot

There have been problems wiht R7000P DDWRT builds in the past.

I use an R6400v2 with the same CPU as the R7000P and that gives me with the latest Kong (test)build almost 300 Mb/s without and almost 800 Mb/s with SFE enabled.

It really is strange, hope you can get this sorted out.

For real gigabit speeds and better VPN speeds I am going to switch to an R7800 later this year Smile

Forum Guide Lines (important read):https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=324087
dustinarden
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2019 15:49    Post subject: Reply with quote
nah. I used the GUI. You think it will make that much of a difference?

i created a backup so its not hard to just do it and restore if nothing changes.

I'm thinking about putting the netgear default'd router as my link to the cable modem and just branching everything off of it. I'll need to buy another rPi but I can just use that for DHCP allocation as that was one of the bigger things (other than VPN services) DDWRT was doing for me now that I really think about it.

dunno. havent really thought through what my network layout is going to be now that I cant use my DDWRT R7000P as the core part.
egc
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2019 15:56    Post subject: Reply with quote
I think it is worth a try to do: nvram erase && reboot

Of course you can not restore from a backup as you are putting the same "garbage" back

You can restore if it does not make a difference Smile

Forum Guide Lines (important read):https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=324087
Per Yngve Berg
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2019 17:59    Post subject: Reply with quote
Leaving the PBR field blank, will make all clients to go through the VPN.
dustinarden
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2019 18:10    Post subject: Reply with quote
Per Yngve Berg wrote:
Leaving the PBR field blank, will make all clients to go through the VPN.

I thought it was the opposite?
dustinarden
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2019 23:15    Post subject: Reply with quote
Probably my last update unless someone else chimes in with "try this to get what you want", haha.

I started looking at other routers and what not, but snapped out of being a complete idiot and decided just to run my older R7000P that has stock netgear firmware on it as a glorified hub. That feeds my TP link switch and my 2 NAS's. 4th ethernet port goes to my DDWRT R7000P which still does all my services like DHCP, VPN, etc. That has my piHole and openVPN server (for connecting from the outside in) attached to it as i'm not worried about gigabit throughput for that stuff.

I might still tweak this configuration but I just completed it and I got 800+mbps in my office so .. its good!
TarrenceRobertson
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2020 10:48    Post subject: Reply with quote
dustinarden wrote:
just some more info (clutching at straws here).

Was on the comcast customer service phone number with comcast "advance" support. We tested all kinds of stuff. Upon first boot speed test shows like 80mbps ... testing again in a minute and it drops to 5ish mbps.

We reprovisioned the old modem i had. now its doing the same exact thing. he tore everything down from an account side and we reprovisioned the new modem. Tech is coming out tomorrow .. sigh.

This seems more and more like some backend comcast thing than an issue with my R7000P. I wish there was a way to "prove" it .. hopefully the tech can get it working.

Hey. I have a problem with the R7000P too, but I haven't contacted support yet. Please tell me, did you find out what the problem was? Please respond. I don't like talking with support so much, it's just awful.
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2020 11:11    Post subject: Reply with quote
Did you not even read the whole thread before hi-jacking it? You are providing no information as to what build you are running or anything to give us anything to go on to help you.
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (PolitePol)
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (RSS Everything)

----------------------
Linux User #377467 counter.li.org / linuxcounter.net
dustinarden
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2020 18:41    Post subject: Reply with quote
it wasnt comcast (unfortunately).

ended up being something in the DDWRT firmware version i was running that simply couldnt produce the gigabit speeds.

i reverted the software back to stock netgear and got the speeds I was expecting. I've sense moved to pfsense as my FW/router. I've loved and used DDWRT for decades but i decided to move to pfsense and ubiquiti AP's.
msoengineer
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2020 19:24    Post subject: Reply with quote
This is a dead horse as far as I consider it; the OP has moved on to using the router differently...

I am curious if the latest builds performing a clean nvram erase && reboot and turning SFE on would yield the 800mbps speeds again...

The fact of the matter is that dd-wrt can't run like stock firmware because not all of the subsets of dd-wrt can run in native kernel space and so the router is crippled.

Turning SFE on will level the playing field as much as possible, but then you can kiss any q.o.s. goodbye...
I would say that the R7000P is good to about 250-300mbps when running dd-wrt on it and using q.o.s. The CPU is no workhorse...

here's an interesting review from snb...he alludes to performance issues...

TIPS/TRICKS: Best QCA Wifi Settings | Latency tricks | QoS Port priority | NEVER USE MU-MIMO |
Why to NOT use MU-MIMO | Max Wifi Pwr by Country | Linux Wifi Pwr | AC MCS & AX MCS | QCA 5Ghz chnls to use | WIFI Freq WIKI | TFTP R7800 | Don't buy AX | IPERF3 How-To

[R9000]52396 nightly (Main Router)
[EA8500]43192 & 45493 (2xOffsite)
[R7800] resting
[WDR3600]BS 44715 (Offsite)
[A7v5]BS 43038 (Offsite+spare napping)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 Display posts from previous:    Page 3 of 3
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: