[SOLVED] Guest network setup WIKI, I'm missing something

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
kdn102
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2020 22:56    Post subject: [SOLVED] Guest network setup WIKI, I'm missing something Reply with quote
I am trying to setup a guest network on dd-wrt (already installed on my router from a few years back). I googled around and stumbled on the Wiki here:
https://wiki.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Guest_Network.

I saw there were two methods. I tried the easy one first and immediately noticed I had no option to pick Wireless Mode on the virtual network. So, I installed the latest firmware via the web upgrade to my Archer C9v1, DD-WRT v3.0-r44251 std (08/27/20).

I went back to add the virtual network and...still no Wireless Mode.

I looked over the second method and sure enough, that UI matches my UI.

So, does anyone have any ideas why that option isn't showing for me?

Last edited by kdn102 on Thu Sep 03, 2020 1:04; edited 1 time in total
Sponsor
blaser
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2020 23:42    Post subject: Re: Guest network setup WIKI, I'm missing something Reply with quote
kdn102 wrote:
I am trying to setup a guest network on dd-wrt (already installed on my router from a few years back). I googled around and stumbled on the Wiki here:
https://wiki.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Guest_Network.

I saw there were two methods. I tried the easy one first and immediately noticed I had no option to pick Wireless Mode on the virtual network. So, I installed the latest firmware via the web upgrade to my Archer C9v1, DD-WRT v3.0-r44251 std (08/27/20).

there are 4 things you need to do:
1) add a virtual network - make sure to choose Unbridged in the network configuration and fill the IP address, and choose net isolation as enabled --> save
2) go to wireless security and choose the correct security and password --> save --> apply --> reboot
3) go to setup --> networking, scroll to the bottom, the last network configuration make sure everything all set.
4) same place DHCPD, add a new one (if one exists use that one) and choose the correct interface on the drop down menu, also start and max clients --> save --> apply --> reboot

DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2020 0:19    Post subject: Reply with quote
And no, you can't choose a wireless mode separately for a virtual interface. If wifi interface ath0 (the 5GHz wifi for Atheros-hardware routers) is set for AC/N-Mixed, that's what will be used as well for ath0.1, ath0.2, etc.
2x Netgear XR500 and 3x Linksys WRT1900ACSv2 on 53544: VLANs, VAPs, NAS, station mode, OpenVPN client (AirVPN), wireguard server (AirVPN port forward) and clients (AzireVPN, AirVPN, private), 3 DNSCrypt providers via VPN.
kdn102
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2020 0:46    Post subject: Re: Guest network setup WIKI, I'm missing something Reply with quote
blaser wrote:

there are 4 things you need to do:

Ahh, yes, I remember this at the beginning of my journey! It was one of the first things I tried. This does list the SSID in my list of networks, but it does not allow me to connect to it. No prompt for password, nothing. I click it and nothing happens.

That led me down the NAT rabbit hole where I decided to bail and come here for advice.

What should I try next?
egc
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2020 6:35    Post subject: Reply with quote
Read the forum guide lines, link in my signature.

Those will tell you not only to begin with stating router model and build number but also in what forum you should post (Broadcom)

Broadcom routers usually need a workaround for an unbridged VAP.

See my attached notes how I do it (but there are more ways), take special note about the workaround, I use no 4 Smile

DDWRT Virtual Access Point Public.doc
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  DDWRT Virtual Access Point Public.doc
 Filesize:  254.5 KB
 Downloaded:  465 Time(s)

Forum Guide Lines (important read):https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=324087
kdn102
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2020 1:03    Post subject: Reply with quote
I admire your willingness to help, but just like you I'll start off nit picking too!

egc wrote:
Read the forum guide lines

I read them.

egc wrote:
Those will tell you not only to begin stating router model

The guidelines do not say to "begin with" that, it says "always state."

egc wrote:
what forum you should post (Broadcom)

I did not feel my question was chipset specific, as it was a question about the UI of my build, and I was not asking for help setting this up.

And it looks like I won't be getting an answer to my original question, so I'll just mark this solved.
Per Yngve Berg
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2020 16:52    Post subject: Re: [SOLVED] Guest network setup WIKI, I'm missing something Reply with quote
kdn102 wrote:

It's show on Atheros, but not on Broadcom. It's always AP. Differences in the wireless driver.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: