Another Slow Connection Thread

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Marvell MVEBU based Hardware (WRT1900AC etc.)
TheUltimateBohab
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2020 3:18    Post subject: Another Slow Connection Thread Reply with quote
HOWS IT GOIN FELLAS? I rarely make a name on a new forum unless I'm seriously struggling... so this is my first post... anyway I have a Linksys WRT1900ACS (WRT1900ACV2) I'm still not certain if its technically ac version 2 or acs version 1 conflicting info in the labeling and online... well over the past few months I've been off and on trying to get DD-WRT firmware to work. I FINALLY got it using Firmware: DD-WRT v3.0-r35531 std (03/26/18) I've left almost everything default except my 5GHZ I set to ac/n mixed 80VHT and 2GHz to dynamic 20/40 I changed nothing else.

at first, I couldn't get internet I unplugged my internet modem Netgear cm1000 and wifi router 20 min and it worked. everything connects no sweat laptop with wifi6 card on 5 everything else on 2. my signal strength is really strong 98% from 84% stock but jumps around a lot. my wifi speeds are SUBSTANTIALLY lower! I have 400MBps DL ? UL coming into the house with the stock firmware I was getting 487 MBps DL and 36MBps UL on WIFI. now that I've flashed i get 73MBps Download and 16MBps Upload that's a massive difference!!

The thing that's really screwy and makes no sense to me is since I bought my set-up the modem Netgear CM1000 and my WRT1900ACS I've got horrible WIRED speeds... connected directly to modem I get around 80MBps download 20 up same through router so about what I'm NOW getting on wifi. but on wifi, I was getting the 500 down before the flash. I searched for weeks found nothing and gave up everything was on wifi anyway.

Does anybody have ideas? on either of these? any help would be GREATLY APPRECIATED!!

and Thanks for reading such a long post! Very Happy Very Happy

one other thing i have a phone app wifi snarfer thing that says my 2g is -22dBm and 5g jumps 30-46dBm before it was higher but dont remember how much. also pc connection info said speed was 877MBps before flash now its 144MBps....

Last edited by TheUltimateBohab on Sat Aug 29, 2020 3:38; edited 1 time in total
Sponsor
blkt
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2020 3:35    Post subject: Reply with quote
There are at four models of the WRT1900 series (AC, ACV2, ACS, ACSV2), so what does the Model No. say on the bottom of your router in the upper right?

Wireless -> Basic Settings should be configured and saved in the order below (reboot when done).

Regulatory Domain (Advanced Settings checkbox) -> Channel Width -> Extension Channel -> Wireless Channel

Don't use Auto. Don't use Dynamic. Here's two builds, a fallback and the latest. 08/02/2020 - r44048 & 08/28/2020 - r44251

When upgrading via Web GUI Administration --> Firmware Upgrade:

Make sure to keep "After flashing, reset to" dropdown option "Don't reset" selected!

Verify successful flash with the build number in the upper right. The three types of reset are:

Software reset in Administration -> Factory Defaults, CLI reset is "nvram erase && reboot" and third is a hardware reset.
TheUltimateBohab
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2020 3:43    Post subject: Reply with quote
the model in the top right says WRT1900ACS but the FCC is q87 WRT1900acv2

I've read both that its ac and acs in various places online the firmware I downloaded was for 1900acs v1 and it worked so....
blkt
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2020 3:47    Post subject: Reply with quote
Ignore the FCC ID. The Model No. is the only correct description. Okay, you have WRT1900ACS.

https://download1.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv2/downloads/betas/2020/08-02-2020-r44048/linksys-wrt1900acs/
https://download1.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv2/downloads/betas/2020/08-28-2020-r44251/linksys-wrt1900acs/

I recommend a CLI reset after flashing as it's easy and thorough, just Telnet log in as root "nvram erase && reboot" done.

See the Marvell build threads I linked in the previous post for feedback, more information etc. Use webflash.bin to upgrade.

Save after each change; reboot when done (ignore apply). https://wiki.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Basic_Wireless_Settings
TheUltimateBohab
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2020 4:10    Post subject: Reply with quote
AWESOME! Thanks a lot, man, and for the rapid response! I'll get it installed and post the results.
TheUltimateBohab
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2020 5:11    Post subject: Reply with quote
A few questions before I reflash

1. do you think it will actually fix the speed issue? cuz as far as connectivity the old firmware that I have is working well 4 hours at least straight and no issues aside from super slow.

2. I read that flashing from the dd partition will wipe the factory backup? I don't really like that idea considering the additional 400MBps I was getting, I figured if I couldn't get it worked out I was just gonna go back... not to mention its the only router I have... so if it dies I no longer have internet aside from wired. no go....

3. if I switched back to factory to flash (read that's the proper way) I still use webflash? I've tried to flash this graphically probably 10 times stock firmware before it finally worked this last time I read the reason was the size of the file? others I tried where 38mb or higher this last was 32...

I only really ask cuz if I kill the wifi during my learning processes the wife is going to be quite pissed I do believe!
TheUltimateBohab
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2020 6:46    Post subject: Reply with quote
so i think i found a bug in the old firmware i did nothing but switch the GUI to dark mode and as soon as i hit apply it crashed and i lost my 5GHz connection totally and am now unable to get to the GUI at all i tried to ssh into it but its giving me password invalid im 100% positive i typed the correct one.... this whole thing is starting to feel like its way more trouble than its worth...
blkt
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2020 6:49    Post subject: Reply with quote
Stock has a file size limitation when using the Linksys GUI firmware upgrade process.

Current DD-WRT builds support flash back to stock firmware from Web GUI.

So after flashing a much more recent build, if you want you can flash stock firmware to overwrite the old DD-WRT build.

Just remember any time you enter a new firmware environment to perform a hardware or CLI reset and reconfigure from scratch.

As for your current situation, just hold the reset button for 10 seconds. Set a new username and password for Web GUI (Telnet/SSH username will always be root).

If you are having problems with DD-WRT Web GUI firmware upgrade webflash.bin, it can be done via command line.

Boot into DD-WRT, then using PuTTY connect via Telnet to 192.168.1.1 with root as username and your password.

Type this command to determine the current boot partition.

Code:
ubootenv get boot_part

The output will return CRC values then a value of 1 or 2.

Code:
cd /tmp

wget http://download1.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv2/downloads/betas/2020/08-02-2020-r44048/linksys-wrt1900acs/ddwrt-linksys-wrt1900acs-webflash.bin

write dd-wrt-webupgrade.bin linux

Then set the boot partition opposite of the value returned from the get command from earlier. The example below is if the get command returned a value of 1. If get returns 2, set 1.

Code:
ubootenv set boot_part 2

reboot
SurprisedItWorks
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2020 13:45    Post subject: Reply with quote
Be sure to read the "Cliff Notes" Sticky Post at the top of the Marvell forum BEFORE you flash anything further. It will tell you how to do it in a way that preserves the original Linksys firmware. Those Cliff Notes are the basic training on dd-wrt and the WRT routers.

Also, I gather that the ACS(v1) and the ACSv2 differ only in the location of some internal table. What that would seem to me to mean is that if a particular build is working well on the ACSv2, of which there are many in the community, it will work well on the ACS also. The best recent build appears by near universal opinion in the Marvell forum's new-build threads to be 44048. The ones newer than that are struggling with wifi issues as some major changes are debugged. I'm running 44048 here on three WRT1900ACSv2 routers and am very happy with it. Of course YMMV, as there are so many different ways to configure dd-wrt that what's great for 10 people might be awful for the 11th. You never know. But I do suggest doing the upgrade. The 35XXX builds are seriously old, and a lot of things have really improved (including many security fixes). Ignore the Router Database. It's not maintained well, and it recommends some pretty poor builds (like 40559 lately).

My ISP only provides 200 Mbps down, but I can certainly use all of it without issue. I've even seen 180 Mbps download through dd-wrt wireguard (on 5G wifi). I think it's pretty normal to be able to use, say, 400 Mbps or so through these routers with dd-wrt. Don't expect to be able to get 1 Gpbs though. A lot depends on how you are configured. A simple config with SFE (Shortcut Forwarding Engine) enabled in Basic Setup will go faster than an insanely complex config like I run here.

2x Netgear XR500 and 3x Linksys WRT1900ACSv2 on 53544: VLANs, VAPs, NAS, station mode, OpenVPN client (AirVPN), wireguard server (AirVPN port forward) and clients (AzireVPN, AirVPN, private), 3 DNSCrypt providers via VPN.
blkt
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2020 22:53    Post subject: Reply with quote
Plenty of people have no issues with r44251, but it's always good to have a fallback.

He's likely not coming back, was more concerned with GUI color theme and the apply button (as I told him not to use) than following basic wireless configuration let alone flash a current build which also allows an easy back to stock method.

As for overwriting the same partition to retain stock firmware, which is unnecessary, set the opposite boot partition before the write, it's that simple (just don't reboot in between the set and write commands). Then proceed as normal, switching partitions after the write then reboot. If CLI is too daunting, you can run get and set one time in GUI Administration -> Commands then proceed with the Web GUI firmware upgrade process as normal.
TheUltimateBohab
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2020 4:29    Post subject: Reply with quote
I came back... I was just messing with the settings if you can't change the interface colors than why is it there? I was going to say thank you for the post before the most recent and that this was the first forum I've ever been on except one where guys don't come at you sideways instantly... guess not...

I have absolutely no problems with the CLI I could see why you would think I run shitdows considering most people do, but nope my main OS is a popular distro dual booted with another distro along with 7 or so various other Linux VMs and two shitasswindas some I have to run headless cuz it lags using the GUI. so yeah don't just jump to conclusions.

I'll be sure to respond first thing next time. I switched back to stock and flashed the OpenWRT builds factory and upgrade so far all seems well but we'll see. A few different guys said their build corrupted at random on that forum.

THANK YOU! for taking the time to try and help me fellas the community here seems really strong Ill give it another go if I start having issues or when I get another router.
SurprisedItWorks
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2020 20:45    Post subject: Reply with quote
TheUltimateBohab wrote:
if you can't change the interface colors than why is it there?

The colors used to work. Something changed. You can still get different styles by selecting certain noncolor options in the dropdown. I run four different styles for four different routers, just to help my addled brain remember which router I'm messing with.

2x Netgear XR500 and 3x Linksys WRT1900ACSv2 on 53544: VLANs, VAPs, NAS, station mode, OpenVPN client (AirVPN), wireguard server (AirVPN port forward) and clients (AzireVPN, AirVPN, private), 3 DNSCrypt providers via VPN.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Marvell MVEBU based Hardware (WRT1900AC etc.) All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: