r8500 no wi fi

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
JHF1420
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2020 19:12    Post subject: r8500 no wi fi Reply with quote
Upgraded my Netgear r8500 to current dd-wrt; lost radio. I found puremind's july 2019 post and tried except I could not get telnet to work on command prompt, but tried to upload under upgrade. Now I may have bricked my router because I cant reconfigure to the current dd-wrt config.
Supposing I get the router to respond, could someone clarify how to use telnet to install his cfe8500.bin file - or a workaround?
Thanks

r8500 no wifi.txt
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  r8500 no wifi.txt
 Filesize:  2.83 KB
 Downloaded:  200 Time(s)

r8500 no wifi.txt
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  r8500 no wifi.txt
 Filesize:  2.83 KB
 Downloaded:  206 Time(s)

Sponsor
FDM80
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2020 22:57    Post subject: Reply with quote
My response is based on some assumptions
1) You are not truly bricked otherwise I won't be able to assist.
2) Telnet is enabled by default on the R8500 by virtue of the fact that it also was set to factory defaults upon flashing.
3) I'm assuming you stated you could not telnet but at the same time could access the GUI to flash a firmware, if you are using Windows, you have Telnet Client enabled from the Control Panel > Programs and Features > Turn Windows features on or off

Assuming you are hardwired try to telnet into the router and log in, just give it a "reboot". My GUI used to be unresponsive at times after flashing a firmware and forcing a reboot through telnet would get it going again.

The following is puremind's instructions but with the instructions more clearly structured to help you go along.

1. Flash the *oldest* version of DD-WRT that you can get through the GUI. For R8500 the build 30260 worked for me.
This one: https://download1.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv2/downloads/betas/2016/07-20-2016-r30260/netgear-r8500/

2. Set the username and password through the GUI to root/admin

3. Via command prompt:
telnet 192.168.1.1
Enter username / password set in Step 2

4. You'll need the CFE file for the R8500 (via command prompt):
curl -k -X GET https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/download.php?id=36611 -o /tmp/cfe8500.bin

5. Test that will write OUT the current CFE. The current CFE boot will be exported to /tmp/BROKEN_cfe8500.bin:
dd if=/dev/mtdblock/0 of=/tmp/BROKEN_cfe8500.bin

6. Confirm you have the same sizes of the two bin files:
ls -lisa /tmp/*.bin

7. Files must have the same size, if you see zeroes, ABORT! (check bold numbers are matching)
26509 516 -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 524288 Jan 1 1970 BROKEN_cfe8500.bin
42094 512 -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 524288 Jul 3 23:20 cfe8500.bin

8. Command in bold will WRITE the GOOD cfe8500.bin boot in the router:
dd if=/tmp/cfe8500.bin of=/dev/mtdblock/0

9. Reboot via command prompt / telnet:
reboot

10. Flash newer firmware through GUI which should result in the Wifi continuing to function.
JHF1420
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2020 17:46    Post subject: r8500 lost WiFi Reply with quote
Smile Thank you!I consider myself an old DOS warrior, but I have questions about Telnet. I was able to get my router functioning properly except for WiFi.
I was able to activate Telnet and see it function on the Command Prompt, but I don't understand; do I enter only the part of the lines in bold print? what are the other parts of the lines listing the command? I don't want to screw this up again!!
FDM80
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2020 1:47    Post subject: Reply with quote
The text in bold is typed into the command prompt (I would copy and paste to eliminate possible errors).

So as an example,

3) "telnet 192.168.1.1"
When you type that in, you get a prompt to log into your router.

4) "curl -k -X GET https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/download.php?id=36611 -o /tmp/cfe8500.bin"
That tells the router to download that cfe and save it in the tmp folder and it is saved without any spaces in the name of the file.

5) "dd if=/dev/mtdblock/0 of=/tmp/BROKEN_cfe8500.bin"
This tells the router to save the existing cfe in the tmp folder and save it with the word "BROKEN" in the file name so you can distinguish it from the good one you downloaded into the same tmp folder previously.

Basically if you copy and paste the bold commands you are okay. The only manual check you have to make is in step 7 to ensure the file sizes are the same.
JHF1420
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2020 17:46    Post subject: r8500 no wifi Reply with quote
I am familiar with DOS, but not Linux. I appreciate everyone's help, but I am still stymied. I went blithely along until I had to telnet to download the CFE.bin file; well, I had no internet at that point. I do have that file downloaded and saved, but don't know how to access it under telnet - if that is even acceptable.
Also, there is more to the original post that was not addressed. I need help with this part of the original post:

and now the MAGIC!

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Command in bold will WRITE the GOOD cfe8500.bin boot in the router:
root@DD-WRT:/tmp# dd if=/tmp/cfe8500.bin of=/dev/mtdblock/0
1024+0 records in
1024+0 records out
root@DD-WRT:/tmp#erase nvram
Flash is NAND
erase[1572864]
root@DD-WRT:/tmp# reboot
root@DD-WRT:/tmp# Connection closed by foreign host.

Your router will NOW keep the settings after reboots!!!

Thank you for your patience.
Jim
JHF1420
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2020 18:54    Post subject: Reply with quote
I still need help. My router is not working; so, I have downloaded the cfe file from the forum. Where do I store it besides in my downloads? and how do I access it via telnet instead of the Linux command in puremind's post?
Thanks
There is more; I spent all day loading alternate firmware; all failed - see attachment for one example. Suddenly, for no obvious reason it came alive while I was not even installing - complete with as success message. While I was hurrying to set up my wireless network backup it failed again. It seems the router is not holding data. I still need some input as how to implement puremind's plan to replace the cfe.bin file without internet.
Thanks

State openvpn.PNG
 Description:
 Filesize:  70.03 KB
 Viewed:  8883 Time(s)

State openvpn.PNG

openvpn3.PNG
 Description:
 Filesize:  90.73 KB
 Viewed:  8883 Time(s)

openvpn3.PNG

JHF1420
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2020 23:56    Post subject: r8500 lost WiFi and now won't retain settings Reply with quote
There is a trail from where I started - I won't repeat, but briefly I downloaded the latest firmware for my Nergear r8500 and immediately lost WiFi although I had my desired IP diversion. I found puremind's post above and tried to use it. All the instructions say unplug everything but the connection to the computer; so, I was never able to follow his instructions. I managed to foul the router so badly it would not update any firmware. After working on it all week I gave up on proper technique and now have access, but no WiFi, which I have worked around with a bridged second WiFi router.
Now the r8500 will not hold settings and after a few hours loses even the IP diversion.
What to do? [/quote]
blaser
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2020 1:35    Post subject: Reply with quote
go back to netgear firmware, do you have wifi?
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2020 16:54    Post subject: Reply with quote
I could not get back to Netgear, even with "Wireless#2C303" (first 5 of MAC)
I have not in 6 days been able to get back wireless. Sometimes I have been able to hold the settings in the router long enough to change my IP on whatsmyip and connect a bridged wireless router, but internet is lost in 5 to 60 minutes.
I have downloaded puremind's (previous post above) cfe.bin on Windows and have it available. Download with Linux commands above fail - does not find the forum.
What I need to do is import the cef.bin file from Windows under the Command Prompt, but I don't the know Linux command to do this. It is in my downloads file.
The attached file shows the results of puremind's setup short the Command Prompt.

ddwrt connected success.png
 Description:
success, but not maintained

DD-WRT v3.0-r43420 std (06/15/20)
 Filesize:  278.19 KB
 Viewed:  8802 Time(s)

ddwrt connected success.png

JHF1420
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2020 20:04    Post subject: Reply with quote
Now it has been up for three hours with WiFi!!!
I wish I knew how to keep it. I have backup.
IdellSeitz
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2020 17:01    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hello... I'd start first with a reset. On the off chance that that doesn't fix it, I'd really attempt re-introducing the firmware. its occurred before when firmware gets debased due to a reboot/power flood. Plant resetting doesn't fix a degenerate firmware, it just eliminates the earlier settings. So here's the request for the means i'd take in the event that it was me.

1. Plant reset. push and hold reset while its completely fueled on for 7-10 seconds. The lights should flicker/change when you've held it sufficiently long.

2. Re-introduce the firmware. Try to do it over a designed association for best outcomes.

3. Downsize the firmware. possibly There's an issue with the firmware you're on. It wouldn't be the first run through.

https://www.7pcb.com

Last edited by IdellSeitz on Wed Sep 22, 2021 16:20; edited 1 time in total
puremind
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2020 8:53    Post subject: Reply with quote
Took me days to find a combination of steps to get the router to work.
Seems my method not only revives the R8500 after installing other firmware’s but the WiFi problem.
See my other posts and what DDWRT versions work best for a good WiFi Config removing the beaming settings. Haven’t had any disconnections or hiccups since.
https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=323998

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2020 20:02    Post subject: r8500 failed WiFi Reply with quote
My router life history is as above. I was finally able to configure the Netgear R8500 router with WiFi and a Guest WiFi network. It ran for about three weeks, having to reboot a couple of times, but it has fully failed and I have been unable to resurrect it by restoring the backup file, or then multiple beta flash files from the internet - most recently two different files from FlashRouter, the most recent from, I believe, June 2020. I go through the entire sequence of unplugging 30 seconds then the 90 second reset sequence. I run the flash with all security software off and WiFi off and having cleared my browser cache.
I am able to use it wired, but no WiFi.
As outlined in the attached screen shots I have several times had a CONNECTED SUCCESS that lasts a few minutes - CONNECTED SUCCESS 1,2,3, then the CONNECTED SUCCESS X screenshot, and then X2,3 are after restoring the backup file.
Anyone have ideas? Maybe someone will recognize a problem in the attached logs.
Thanks,
Jim
The manager asked that I reduce the size of the attachments. I don't know how; so, they are temporarily deleted.
Don't know what has changed; I can no longer load the dd-wrt log. I will try to add a failed log as a notepad file. You can see multiple failed attempts to load the Nord server. I have tried five different servers with the same result. It may load the first time, but fails in a few minutes.
Jim

ddwrt fail log.txt
 Description:
This is a typical failed log. Initially passed, but fails in a few minutes. This is a failed retry.

Download
 Filename:  ddwrt fail log.txt
 Filesize:  7.96 KB
 Downloaded:  201 Time(s)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: