ad blocking script help

blaser
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2020 11:37    Post subject: ad blocking script help Reply with quote
for ad blocking I'm using an old script.
The script worked until version 43516, since then it stopped working.
I identified a change in the command wait but not sure what
the problematic area is
Code:
  # Each file should be downloaded within 120 seconds
    TEMP_FILE="/tmp/gen_host`echo $COUNT`.tmp"
    ($CURL -s $URL -o $TEMP_FILE) & DOWNLOAD_PID=$!
    (sleep 120 && kill -TERM $DOWNLOAD_PID) & WAITER_PID=$!

wait $DOWNLOAD_PID
    RESULT=$?
    kill -KILL $WAITER_PID

I see that the line wait $DOWNLOAD_PID doesn't process correctly, it suppose wait for the curl to download the file which it does but I do not get the exist code correctly and it waits 120 sec, when it tried to kill the process it errors out, processes already finished.
Anyone can help?

eibgrad
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2020 15:22    Post subject: Reply with quote
If you insist on "rolling your own" anyway, you might want to consider the one in my signature (ddwrt-blacklist-domains.sh). At least it's modern and up to date.
ddwrt-ovpn-split-basic.sh (UPDATED!) * ddwrt-ovpn-split-advanced.sh (UPDATED!) * ddwrt-ovpn-client-killswitch.sh * ddwrt-ovpn-client-watchdog.sh * ddwrt-ovpn-remote-access.sh * ddwrt-ovpn-client-backup.sh * ddwrt-mount-usb-drives.sh * ddwrt-blacklist-domains.sh * ddwrt-wol-port-forward.sh * ddwrt-dns-monitor.sh (NEW!)
blaser
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2020 21:13    Post subject: Reply with quote
eibgrad wrote:
If you insist on "rolling your own" anyway, you might want to consider the one in my signature (ddwrt-blacklist-domains.sh). At least it's modern and up to date.

Thanks for your script, I looked inside, similar in the idea of the one I'm using, there are some differences, one of them is if a web site is not responding your script gets stuck and doesn't proceed, that's the reason there is a wait in the one I'm using.

DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2020 23:56    Post subject: Reply with quote
You make a good point. Something I didn't think about at the time. I'm going to update the script and add that option. Easy enough to change.

UPDATE: Done.

ddwrt-ovpn-split-basic.sh (UPDATED!) * ddwrt-ovpn-split-advanced.sh (UPDATED!) * ddwrt-ovpn-client-killswitch.sh * ddwrt-ovpn-client-watchdog.sh * ddwrt-ovpn-remote-access.sh * ddwrt-ovpn-client-backup.sh * ddwrt-mount-usb-drives.sh * ddwrt-blacklist-domains.sh * ddwrt-wol-port-forward.sh * ddwrt-dns-monitor.sh (NEW!)
blaser
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2020 1:37    Post subject: Reply with quote
eibgrad wrote:
You make a good point. Something I didn't think about at the time. I'm going to update the script and add that option. Easy enough to change.

UPDATE: Done.

thanks, good base for me, I will add some support for external whitelist for and external blacklist file.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> General Questions All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: