Having an issue booting images from Jul 2020 and later

MagellanTX
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2020 20:06    Post subject: Having an issue booting images from Jul 2020 and later Reply with quote
I'm using the x64_public_vga_image on ESXi 6.5 and have run into an issue with the more recent releases.

The June 25, 2020 (and prior) images work normally for me, but images from July 03, 2020 and later aren't booting correctly. It looks like the images from July and onward are using a new Grub menu and the initial boot works just fine, however, any boot afterward causes it to hang at the "Booting the Kernel".

I've tried different hardware configurations including different CPU/Memory combinations and different hard drive controllers (SATA/SCSI/IDE) but nothing seems to work.

Here are the steps that I did to trigger the behavior:
    Install the image & perform initial boot
    Login to the CLI
    Execute 'reboot' command

Any ideas?

Thanks!
Sponsor
eibgrad
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2020 21:46    Post subject: Reply with quote
FWIW, recently had the same issue w/ Oracle VirtualBox. First boot is fine, after that, boot process just hangs. Tried numerous changes to settings, but nothing helped. Finally gave up. No idea what the issue is, but initially I assumed it was some incompatibility between VB and dd-wrt. Apparently it's dd-wrt to blame. Good to know it's not just me.

EDIT: Looks like this problem persists and effects all installations, not just VMs. Just tried build v44213 (8/18/20), same problem. Boots once, then never again. Had to go back to the last working build I'm aware of (DD-WRT v3.0-r43904 std (07/23/20).

ddwrt-ovpn-split-basic.sh (UPDATED!) * ddwrt-ovpn-split-advanced.sh (UPDATED!) * ddwrt-ovpn-client-killswitch.sh * ddwrt-ovpn-client-watchdog.sh * ddwrt-ovpn-remote-access.sh * ddwrt-ovpn-client-backup.sh * ddwrt-mount-usb-drives.sh * ddwrt-blacklist-domains.sh * ddwrt-wol-port-forward.sh * ddwrt-dns-monitor.sh (NEW!)
eibgrad
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2020 20:06    Post subject: Reply with quote
FWIW, I just posted a bug report about the problem.

https://svn.dd-wrt.com/ticket/7206#ticket

ddwrt-ovpn-split-basic.sh (UPDATED!) * ddwrt-ovpn-split-advanced.sh (UPDATED!) * ddwrt-ovpn-client-killswitch.sh * ddwrt-ovpn-client-watchdog.sh * ddwrt-ovpn-remote-access.sh * ddwrt-ovpn-client-backup.sh * ddwrt-mount-usb-drives.sh * ddwrt-blacklist-domains.sh * ddwrt-wol-port-forward.sh * ddwrt-dns-monitor.sh (NEW!)
MagellanTX
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2020 11:53    Post subject: Reply with quote
eibgrad wrote:
FWIW, I just posted a bug report about the problem.

https://svn.dd-wrt.com/ticket/7206#ticket

Looks like they closed out the report because they wanted logs. However, I just tested the R44406 (Sep 18) build and it seems to be working fine now. I've got two routers up and they are rebooting normally.
eibgrad
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 16:14    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks, I'll have to check it out. BS may very well have found a problem and quietly fixed it (he's a man of few words).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> X86 based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: