TP-Link Archer A7v5 (EU) support

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
burtonguster
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2020 6:57    Post subject: TP-Link Archer A7v5 (EU) support Reply with quote
I know the TP-Link Archer A7v5 (US) is supported but the one available in my country is the EU version. Will I be able to flash the US firmware on the EU version?
Sponsor
msoengineer
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 3:18    Post subject: Reply with quote
hardware wise I don't think there is any difference, but I am not 100% sure either.

I am not sure what would be different for EU vs US except for the regulatory stuff in terms of stock firmware... they don't lock the US firmware, so I can't imagine the EU version is locked from flashing either.

You'll need to be a guinea pig and test for us.
Worst case you soft brick it and need to TFTP recover it back to stock EU firmware.

TIPS/TRICKS: Best QCA Wifi Settings | Latency tricks | QoS Port priority | NEVER USE MU-MIMO |
Why to NOT use MU-MIMO | Max Wifi Pwr by Country | Linux Wifi Pwr | AC MCS & AX MCS | QCA 5Ghz chnls to use | WIFI Freq WIKI | TFTP R7800 | Don't buy AX | IPERF3 How-To

[R9000]52396 nightly (Main Router)
[EA8500]43192 & 45493 (2xOffsite)
[R7800] resting
[WDR3600]BS 44715 (Offsite)
[A7v5]BS 43038 (Offsite+spare napping)
burtonguster
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 3:34    Post subject: Reply with quote
msoengineer wrote:
hardware wise I don't think there is any difference, but I am not 100% sure either.

I am not sure what would be different for EU vs US except for the regulatory stuff in terms of stock firmware... they don't lock the US firmware, so I can't imagine the EU version is locked from flashing either.

You'll need to be a guinea pig and test for us.
Worst case you soft brick it and need to TFTP recover it back to stock EU firmware.

Oh OK. I don't have it currently, I'm planning to buy one. If I buy one and flash I'll let you know. Do you think it's a good deal if I get a new one for around $60? Thanks!
tatsuya46
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 3:44    Post subject: Reply with quote
most likely not, usually eu/na versions is just for complying with the precious entity we call, government(s). maybe the stock fw versions might have a different header or something that may make it fail to take from stock fw, but tftp would override that.

BrainSlayer wrote:
we just do it since we do not like any restrictions enforced by stupid cocaine snorting managers

[x86_64] Haswell i3-4150/QCA9984/QCA9882 ------> r55797 std
[QUALCOMM] DIR-862L --------------------------------> r55797 std
▲ ACTIVE / INACTIVE ▼
[QUALCOMM] WNDR4300 v1 --------------------------> r50485 std
[BROADCOM] DIR-860L A1 ----------------------------> r50485 std

Sigh.. why do i exist anyway.. | I love you Anthony.. never forget that.. my other 99% that ill never see again..

msoengineer
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 3:46    Post subject: Reply with quote
burtonguster wrote:
Do you think it's a good deal if I get a new one for around $60? Thanks!

They sell new in the usa anywhere from $40-$60 on amazon directly.
Check ebay too... but this is not a great router if you have ISP speeds over 150mbps... Look for a used R7800 if you can find one in Europe.

TIPS/TRICKS: Best QCA Wifi Settings | Latency tricks | QoS Port priority | NEVER USE MU-MIMO |
Why to NOT use MU-MIMO | Max Wifi Pwr by Country | Linux Wifi Pwr | AC MCS & AX MCS | QCA 5Ghz chnls to use | WIFI Freq WIKI | TFTP R7800 | Don't buy AX | IPERF3 How-To

[R9000]52396 nightly (Main Router)
[EA8500]43192 & 45493 (2xOffsite)
[R7800] resting
[WDR3600]BS 44715 (Offsite)
[A7v5]BS 43038 (Offsite+spare napping)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: