Sometimes Internet/DNS Requests fail for WLAN and LAN

Jumpz
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2020 8:59    Post subject: Sometimes Internet/DNS Requests fail for WLAN and LAN Reply with quote
Hello,

i just want to talk about a behavioured i observed by my Buffalo WZR-D1800H Router:

When there was no Request in some Time, the first next Connection need 30 or 20 Seconds and fail with a DNS Request Time Out or no route to Internet.

If that Request was created by my Browser i just Reload the page and it works.

If i pull my Smartphone and searching some different Website it work too.

Can this emerge from Effects and Settings like energiesaving on the Wirelesscard-Driver or how the router manage some kind of non existing dial up connection?

My Internet got resolved by another Linux Router with Iptables Forwarding and dnsmasq over there.

Why i nail this down on my Buffalo (with last ddwrt Beta Update May 2020) is because i have some other WLAN Routers and devices on different LAN cables served and Managed... that do not have this kind of behavour.
Sponsor
Alozaros
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2020 11:04    Post subject: Reply with quote
well...your DNS set up, its not very clear, nor your router set up is....
in general its not a good practice to have multiple DNS
servers running in line...as they will race each other and it will be a mess...

things to try either use the upstream DNS resolver if you have one before your router or use DNSmasq on your buffalo add those commands to advanced DNSmasq

no-resolv
server=9.9.9.9

TP-Link WR1043NDv2 -Gargoyle OS 1.15.x AP,DNS,QoS,Quotas
Qualcomm-Atheros
Netgear XR500 --DD-WRT 55779 Gateway/DoH,Forced DNS,AP Isolation,4VLAN,Ad-Block,Firewall,Vanilla
Netgear R7800 --DD-WRT 55819 Gateway/DoT,AD-Block,Forced DNS,AP&Net Isolation,x3VLAN,Firewall,Vanilla
Netgear R9000 --DD-WRT 55779 Gateway/DoT,AD-Block,AP Isolation,Firewall,Forced DNS,x2VLAN,Vanilla
Broadcom
Netgear R7000 --DD-WRT 55460 Gateway/SmartDNS/DoH,AD-Block,Firewall,Forced DNS,x3VLAN,VPN
NOT USING 5Ghz ANYWHERE
------------------------------------------------------
Stubby DNS over TLS I DNSCrypt v2 by mac913
Jumpz
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2020 15:33    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi Alozaros,

Edit-Update: Oh i drop dnsmasq and it work fine. After Accessing WLAN the Phones DNS have the IP of my LAN Unbound Server (192.168.17.92) and a 192.168.15.x IP and everything is working well.

thank you for your response. Had not much time. Today i updated the router and take a look in the settings:

smartDNS is disabled.

WLAN has DHCP and a fix Range of IP Addresses and use DNSmasq.

The Basic Setting give one LAN Port (WAN) an IP Address and i set there the IP-Address of my unbound Server and NTP Server. And the Gateway Route for Internet.

WLAN is secured with SSID and Password.

WLAN and LAN are bridged via VLAN setting. If i do not do this, the Routing to Internet will not work.

Just as example:
=================

WAN IP: 192.168.17.1
Basic Configuration:
Static DNS: 192.168.17.92
Gateaway: 192.168.17.92
NTP: 192.168.17.92

The other LAN Ports and Wireless on that Router have Addresses: 192.168.15.x (by its own DHCP).

Wireless have the DHCP Server running with DNSmasq enabled.
Alozaros
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:05    Post subject: Reply with quote
so your troubles are sorted... ?

if you use foreign DNS like the unbound server before your router you have to point out your router to use those DNS services

for example: (you have to adapt those rules to your interface/port used)

iptables -I INPUT -i br0 -p udp --dport 53 -j ACCEPT
iptables -I INPUT -i br0 -p tcp --dport 53 -j ACCEPT

to point out witch interface DNSmasq should serve, save this line in advances DNSmasq rules

interface=br0 (adapt those to your interface too)

and yep you can use mixed DNS services for different interfaces, but its not very recommended...if so..you can also add and alternate DNS for DHCP range via DNSmasq rules but this is different...game

TP-Link WR1043NDv2 -Gargoyle OS 1.15.x AP,DNS,QoS,Quotas
Qualcomm-Atheros
Netgear XR500 --DD-WRT 55779 Gateway/DoH,Forced DNS,AP Isolation,4VLAN,Ad-Block,Firewall,Vanilla
Netgear R7800 --DD-WRT 55819 Gateway/DoT,AD-Block,Forced DNS,AP&Net Isolation,x3VLAN,Firewall,Vanilla
Netgear R9000 --DD-WRT 55779 Gateway/DoT,AD-Block,AP Isolation,Firewall,Forced DNS,x2VLAN,Vanilla
Broadcom
Netgear R7000 --DD-WRT 55460 Gateway/SmartDNS/DoH,AD-Block,Firewall,Forced DNS,x3VLAN,VPN
NOT USING 5Ghz ANYWHERE
------------------------------------------------------
Stubby DNS over TLS I DNSCrypt v2 by mac913
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> General Questions All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: