quick question about linksys wrt1900acs

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Marvell MVEBU based Hardware (WRT1900AC etc.)
shawn01
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2020 8:30    Post subject: quick question about linksys wrt1900acs Reply with quote
hello everyone i am about to purchase a router and before i spend the money i was hoping someone here could answer a quick question for me.

the router i am going to get is the: linksys ACS1900-RM2

now i want to make sure that this router is capable to flash dd-wrt firmware (which is obviously why i am here) but what is throwing me off is "RM2".

everything i see is for the linksys ACS1900 but it never mentions -RM2

now i know there are 2 versions of this router and 2 firmwares for version 1 and version 2.

Can someone tell me please if RM2 just means version 2 and is the RM2 model able to take dd-wrt firmware?

thank you all so much for your time and the work you all do here is truly amazing.

-shawn
Sponsor
egc
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2020 8:46    Post subject: Reply with quote
If you follow the forum guidelines:
https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=324087

We can help you better.

I transferred this thread to the right forum.

I personally would not buy a Linksys WRT router but instead a Netgear R7800, but that is just my opinion.

Forum Guide Lines (important read):https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=324087
shawn01
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2020 8:48    Post subject: Reply with quote
thanks for the transfer...i was looking at the netgear r7800 but the thing that threw me off was the fact that netgear has put some things in to block the installation of custom firmware and i read that there are workarounds such as TFTP but that people have said that it doesn't always work etc etc.

but i will definitely look more into it.

so does anyone know about this RM-2 thing and if is in fact the 2nd version of the linksys ACS1900 router?
SurprisedItWorks
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2020 13:36    Post subject: Reply with quote
I use the Linksys WRT1900ACSv2, which in spite of the issues with the series is the best of that Linksys WRTblah lot, and there is nothing anywhere on the router resembling the -RM2 thing. I've never heard of the nomenclature you describe. Could it perhaps signal a variant aimed at some market where in the local language -RM2 means version 2?

BTW, I have set up dd-wrt on six of the WRT1900ACSv2 routers and still maintain five of them. I am convinced it is the best (reasonably fast and least troublesome) of the WRTblah series, even though it does have some issues (needs a fan, key LEDs fade over time, uses binary-blob Linksys wifi drivers that spontaneously take down wifi maybe once a month on two of my five). But if I were starting over and hadn't invested all the time and energy into learning its quirks and their workarounds, I'd go for the R7800, following the flashing procedure linked in @egc's signature above. The R7800 is as close as the dd-wrt community has to a standard router and is unofficially the primary development router for the dd-wrt team, so as dd-wrt changes and evolves, things just work on the R7800. It's also clearly faster than the WRT1900ACSv2 and supposedly has better wifi range as well. About the only WRT1900ACSv2 feature I'd really miss is the dual partitions, which make flashing safe and easy enough that I routinely upgrade dd-wrt on these routers across the internet (even though that is still clearly a gamble and so not really to be encouraged).

2x Netgear XR500 and 3x Linksys WRT1900ACSv2 on 53544: VLANs, VAPs, NAS, station mode, OpenVPN client (AirVPN), wireguard server (AirVPN port forward) and clients (AzireVPN, AirVPN, private), 3 DNSCrypt providers via VPN.
shawn01
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2020 15:50    Post subject: Reply with quote
thanks for the tips/info...i found out that -RM2 just means refurbished model with linksys

i think i will look into the netgear r7800

thanks again
shawn01
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2020 15:51    Post subject: Reply with quote
thanks again for the tips/info...maybe i will consider getting a netgear r7800 after all.

thank you all for your time, oh i found out that -RM2 just means refurbished model.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Marvell MVEBU based Hardware (WRT1900AC etc.) All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: