2 Routers + openvpn + Chromecast help

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Draknoid
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2020 5:43    Post subject: 2 Routers + openvpn + Chromecast help Reply with quote
Hey, I have a problem where I can't connect my chromecast to my router(Ddwrt).

Here is my setup
Main router ZyXEL EMG2926 (from ISP) (local ip is 192.168.0.1)
Second router TP-Link Archer C7
(AC1750) Ddwrt most recent firmware with openvpn (fresh install all I did was setup the access point and followed this https://www.vpnunlimitedapp.com/help/manuals/dd-wrt-open-vpn-configuration-guide) (local ip is 192.168.1.1)

Now if I connect to ap 1 I'm not using openvpn and things work (Chromecast used to be on here)
If I connect to ap 2 things still work as in I can browse the internet through my VPN. But I can't get my chromecast to connect to either of the ap of router 2 2.4 or 5ghz.

Update: seems like it's a security issue I tried removing the security on my 2.4ghz ap and it works. I'm not sure why wpa2 personal is not working

Update 2 : seems like I was using wpa2 personal with sha256 and it didn't like that so I switched to plain old wpa2 personal.

Now I do have another problem the signal from my Ddwrt router seems weak
Sponsor
o2bad455
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2021 19:09    Post subject: Reply with quote
Good that you got it working, but I think you might have had a faster response if you'd posted in the correct section (Atheros rather than Broadcom).

Might your weak signal with the Archer C7 be an interference issue with the provider-provisioned EMG2926 operating with what's probably an ancient customized version of OpenWRT? Apparently, they're very similar (if not identical, depedending on version) at the wifi hardware level.

Both your TP-Link Archer C7 and your ZyXEL EMG2926 are based on an Atheros SoC. Per OpenWRT: The ZyXEL NBG6716 that's "also known as ZyXEL Media Router AC 1750 Ultimate Performance or ZyXEL EMG2926-Q10A ... is very similar to the TP-Link TL-WDR7500, but with a large NAND flash, internal antennas, and an upright design. The factory firmware is based on OpenWrt (Attitude Adjustment?), customized by Zyxel & Qualcomm" per https://openwrt.org/toh/zyxel/zyxel_nbg6716

Netgear R9000 - Atheros
Netgear R7000 - Broadcom
PC x86-64 VM - Atheros
eximer168
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 0:31    Post subject: Reply with quote
o2bad455 wrote:
Good that you got it working, but I think you might have had a faster response if you'd posted in the correct section (Atheros rather than Broadcom).

Might your weak signal with the Archer C7 be an interference issue with the provider-provisioned EMG2926 operating with what's probably an ancient customized version of OpenWRT? Apparently, they're very similar (if not identical, depedending on version) at the wifi hardware level.

Both your TP-Link Archer C7 and your ZyXEL EMG2926 are based on an Atheros SoC. Per OpenWRT: The ZyXEL NBG6716 that's "also known as ZyXEL Media Router AC 1750 Ultimate Performance or ZyXEL EMG2926-Q10A ... is very similar to the TP-Link TL-WDR7500, but with a large NAND flash, internal antennas, and an upright design. The factory firmware is based on OpenWrt (Attitude Adjustment?), customized by Zyxel & Qualcomm" per https://openwrt.org/toh/zyxel/zyxel_nbg6716

Solved and explained here: Chromecast only works on 801.11B/G Radio

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/controller/technotes/7-6/chromecastDG76/ChromecastDG76.html

Used Netgear/6300, twice verified that IGMP, Routing Tables, multicast affected nothing (YMMV), however setting B/G Only (or MIXED) allowed multiple chromecasts to immediately come online as well as several android-app (CastRecievers). It just works, as one would expect it to.

Posted to the latest chromecast incident w/resolution (review, and pass on if helpful).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: