Netgear X6 R8000 working perfectly with DD-WRT v3.0-r43800

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
ozsmac
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2020 4:50    Post subject: Netgear X6 R8000 working perfectly with DD-WRT v3.0-r43800 Reply with quote
Hi All, firstly thanks to everyone who continues to invest so much effort into DD-WRT, I've not installed it for a while and it is looking amazing and working well.

I recently moved to some Unifi kit for my home network, retiring my Netgear X6 R8000 AP. Then I had an idea on how I could improve my connection speed from my study (I don't have any ethernet runs in my house) and thought, why not deploy the Netgear to help. I soon found out that the R8000 Netgear firmware doesn't support acting as a client or bridge, so I thought why not check with my old friend DD-WRT.

The process couldn't have been better, from the R8000 web GUI I simply updated the firmware using the "factory-to-dd-wrt.chk" file from other downloads/betas/2020/07-14-2020-r43800/netgear-r8000. The upgraded to a newer release using the "netgear-r8000-webflash.bin" file.

Quick config to setup in client mode (I'd rather client bridged, but various warnings suggest client is a better more stable option) and I'm all done.

My 2019 MacBook connecting directly to the NanoHD 1 room away is about 300Mbps (iperf)

Same MacBook, connected via ethernet to the R8000 that is a client to the same NanoDH and I'm getting solid 550Mbps without any tinkering.

This is a big help with large file copies!

PS - I did read many different pages before starting, and to be honest the information available is quite confusing with many different paths, if I've done something wrong that might help me get more stability or speed I'd be thankful for any pointers.

Here are some key settings:
I only have one of the 5GHz AC channels enabled in client mode, AC only
Using Explicit beamforming (I tested with this turned off, and also implicit, didn't make any real different that I could detect)

<Edit - removed information that is better suited to a build report thread, that I have submitted>

Last edited by ozsmac on Thu Jul 16, 2020 6:29; edited 2 times in total
Sponsor
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2020 5:02    Post subject: Reply with quote
I guess I need to edit the rules and guidelines to be blatant about "flash and report in the build thread". P.S. 43813 might be better.
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (PolitePol)
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (RSS Everything)

----------------------
Linux User #377467 counter.li.org / linuxcounter.net
ozsmac
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2020 5:15    Post subject: Reply with quote
Appreciate the version recommendation and also the pointer regarding where specific posts should live. I promise I did notice the build thread, and read the instructions, however felt that my post broke those rules (ie not just about feedback about the specific version), so was just trying to follow the rules as a new type around here.

Thanks once again to all who donate time in the forums and in the code.
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2020 5:24    Post subject: Reply with quote
All good. But reporting webUI cosmetics and other anomalies would probably be better in the build thread. I think that must be a common cosmetic issue... but I would have to check my R7000P to see if all Northstar builds are affected with the wl0 being marked as 5GHz...
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (PolitePol)
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (RSS Everything)

----------------------
Linux User #377467 counter.li.org / linuxcounter.net
ozsmac
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2020 6:18    Post subject: Reply with quote
Am submitting a build report now Smile. Thanks.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: