Slow rates with TP Link as bridge

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
Dulee
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 22:29    Post subject: Slow rates with TP Link as bridge Reply with quote
I have cisco EPC3928S as main router and wanted to extend its range with one router(TL wr741nd). My internet is 50/10. Nothing is wired. it looks like this Cisco ---> TL ---> Laptop with TL adapter. all 3 connections are wireless. Without TL (without trying to strength signal) i get 20/5 speed on my laptop but with TL its get much worst idk why. Is it ok to set it like this and how much speed i should get on laptop? Thanks.
Sponsor
msoengineer
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2020 1:17    Post subject: Reply with quote
you need to run the second router in client or client bridged mode, you cannot use it as a repeater bridge.

And when you do, you will cut your speed by 1/3 to 1/2 from whatever your primary wifi is able to push to the TL router; this is normal and how things work when you do this type of connection.

TIPS/TRICKS: Best QCA Wifi Settings | Latency tricks | QoS Port priority | NEVER USE MU-MIMO |
Why to NOT use MU-MIMO | Max Wifi Pwr by Country | Linux Wifi Pwr | AC MCS & AX MCS | QCA 5Ghz chnls to use | WIFI Freq WIKI | TFTP R7800 | Don't buy AX | IPERF3 How-To

[R9000]52396 nightly (Main Router)
[EA8500]43192 & 45493 (2xOffsite)
[R7800] resting
[WDR3600]BS 44715 (Offsite)
[A7v5]BS 43038 (Offsite+spare napping)
Dulee
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2020 1:29    Post subject: Reply with quote
msoengineer wrote:
you need to run the second router in client or client bridged mode, you cannot use it as a repeater bridge.

And when you do, you will cut your speed by 1/3 to 1/2 from whatever your primary wifi is able to push to the TL router; this is normal and how things work when you do this type of connection.

Thank you for responding. Its already set up as Client Bridge and also enabled WIFI. Speed normalized a bit but only on LAN connection on laptop. But can not connect any wireless device (device sees router but cant connect similar when you type wrong pass). And one more question u say 1/2 of speed that 1st router can push what is over 150 and half is 75 but my net speed is under it (50) so it can go on max net speed?
msoengineer
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2020 4:35    Post subject: Reply with quote
If your provisioned speed is 50/10...

Cisco (50mbps)---> TL (25mbps) ---> Laptop

The TL has to wait to communicate the signal from the laptop back to the cisco, and so half the bandwidth will disappear. This is how all "repeater/ clients" have to work...

You have to create a Virtual interface as an AP to have the laptop connect to the TL via wifi. This will slow down the wifi even more... you will likely not exceed 10mbps after you make this setup.

The 741 is a single radio router and it has a 400mhz cpu at best...you are really pushing the limits of the hardware with your setup and I would suggest going to a dual band router to help things out.

TIPS/TRICKS: Best QCA Wifi Settings | Latency tricks | QoS Port priority | NEVER USE MU-MIMO |
Why to NOT use MU-MIMO | Max Wifi Pwr by Country | Linux Wifi Pwr | AC MCS & AX MCS | QCA 5Ghz chnls to use | WIFI Freq WIKI | TFTP R7800 | Don't buy AX | IPERF3 How-To

[R9000]52396 nightly (Main Router)
[EA8500]43192 & 45493 (2xOffsite)
[R7800] resting
[WDR3600]BS 44715 (Offsite)
[A7v5]BS 43038 (Offsite+spare napping)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: