Asus RT-AC87U new firmware's issues?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
blonde
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 23:30    Post subject: Asus RT-AC87U new firmware's issues? Reply with quote
Router: Asus RT-AC87U

Hiya,

I was looking to post here on 'RT-AC87U DD-WRT support https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=266322&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=390 ' But looks admin closed it?! Where shall I post questions about this Asus RT-AC87U errors?

I remember I used to flash ith an old firmware that was on the official firmware page for this router, but then I was advised that DNScrpt does not send the DNS queries in lower builds through the OpenVPN/Wireguards encryption channel, thus I decided to update the firmware to the latest 'beta' ones. I was on a hell of problems after that, as the issue is, my router after flashing works, then it stops working after a while living connected. I suspected a bug or a malware that affected the firmware, and then I performed this test steps,
1) Hard reset the router by 30/30/30/10/10 method.
2) Erased the NVRAM from telnet.
3) Reset the settings from the web-panel.
4) Installed the latest beta firmware.
5) I set up all the OpenVPN+KillSwitch+DNScrpt and then used the router for one day, and there was no issue at all. As the main issue would occur when I turn on and off the wireless, as then it needs to restart itself a few times. Then the issue occurs, as the router will become unreachable by the 192.168.1.1, and I checked the IP configuration connecting the router to the laptop by Cat7 cable, there is no 'default gateway IP' at all, thus there is no way to laptop get any IP from the router as for this, the 'default gateway' shall be accessible by LAN or Wireless to the laptop, while this isn't. And I tested with few laptops of mine, and all have the same issue as they are not able to access the 'default gateway' IP from the router.
6) When the router worked for one day, I disconnected the WAN/Internet input from the router but left everything untouched, wireless was on and I never experienced any electricity loss in the last three months. Then I connected the Cat7 internet cable from modem to the router and connected the router to laptop by another Cat7 cable, I saw I'm not able to access to the modem on the default IP of 192.168.1.1. I checked the IP configuration on the command line and I saw that laptop can't see the 'Default gateway' IP of the router. Ans this issue going on and on and on forever.

I believe this is a bug that is happening for a while on some firmware versions back to back and I do request to please whenever Mr @BS is free, if possible please he may fix this bug?

I'm happy to receive your advice on this and please tell me what latest firmware version does work for you? I need to be sure the DNScrpt ends the queries related to DNS through the OpenVPN/Wireguard encryption channel and the old firmware does no doing this, and if you want to suggest a working firmware, please kindly consider this as well?

Tnx and best of luck

kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 23:46    Post subject: Reply with quote
That thread was closed because of the confusion that it was meant as a helpdesk when it was opened to add the device to the list of routers supported by this firmware. Not going to allow a 200-page cesspool to happen again.

The ASUS RT-AC87U is Broadcom ARM, you do not 30-30-30 reset it. All you should have to do is hit reset for ~10 seconds with the router booted up, otherwise, you put it into recovery mode, boot loop, or brick it.

I'm afraid to ask which build you mean by latest beta. The latest beta is 43718, not 40559. Also, if your modem's LAN IP is 192.168.1.1 and you didn't change the DD-WRT default from 192.168.1.1 to something else outside of the 192.168.1.x subnet, then you won't be able to access the internet or your modem from the LAN side of the router. Basic networking.

DD-WRT Releases 2023 (PolitePol)
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (RSS Everything)

----------------------
Linux User #377467 counter.li.org / linuxcounter.net
blonde
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 0:31    Post subject: Reply with quote
kernel-panic69 wrote:
That thread was closed because of the confusion that it was meant as a helpdesk when it was opened to add the device to the list of routers supported by this firmware. Not going to allow a 200-page cesspool to happen again.

The ASUS RT-AC87U is Broadcom ARM, you do not 30-30-30 reset it. All you should have to do is hit reset for ~10 seconds with the router booted up, otherwise, you put it into recovery mode, boot loop, or brick it.

Hiya @kernel-panic69

Thanks. For reset, shall I use the WPS? As I'm using the WPS button to reset it.

What's the difference between r40559 vs r43718? As I believe one of the firmware in that drop-down list in the firmware page for Asus RT-AC87U was working faultlessly. The issue occurred after I downloaded one of the higher number 'r' firmware from 2020 download firmware list?

Quote:
Also, if your modem's LAN IP is 192.168.1.1 and you didn't change the DD-WRT default from 192.168.1.1 to something else outside of the 192.168.1.x subnet, then you won't be able to access the internet or your modem from the LAN side of the router. Basic networking.

I'm sorry, I don't get you? I do have Asus-Merlin, OpenWRT, etc routers and I never changed the routers-admin-page from its default one to something else. I just connect to the internet but my 'Default gateway' IP is the router's admin/management IP as well?

I double-checked and this link confirms that if the router's admin/management IP is the same as a Default-gateway IP, it's fine as this is a home network?
'The "default gateway" is simply the IP of the next hop for traffic that is not explicitly routed anywhere else. This will, almost certainly, be an IP address on an interface of a local router. However, it may not be an address on which you can manage the router.
If this is for a "home-type network", the inside IP (your default gateway) and the management address will probably be one and the same, but in a "large/corporate-type network" I wouldn't be so sure.
'
https://serverfault.com/questions/186645/does-default-gateway-ip-router-ip

Do you mind clarifying in DDWRT ist different and I shall change the router's management/admin IP to something else than default gateway and after flashing router, I shall change the admin/management IP of router to any IP beside '192.168.1.*' subnet, otherwise nether I have internet nor I do access to the admin/management page?

Again I have an OpenWRT router, the Default-gateway-IP, router's admin/management web panel IP, DHCP IP, DNS server IP(for my web browsing sometimes), all are on the same IP and that's the router's admin/management web-panel IP. I'm confused a bit on DDWRT if it is different from this setup?

Regarding below,
Quote:

I'm afraid to ask which build you mean by latest beta. The latest beta is 43718, not 40559.

I don't have access to modem now, but I will update this post with the firmware number that the router is on that later? Is this ok with you?

Tnx and best of luck

DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2020 4:49    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hiya,

I upgraded my Asus RT AC87U router's firmware after resetting it to default settings from Wed-admin and hard-reset both, to the latest firmware as its today's latest as below:
Firmware: DD-WRT v3.0-r43800 (07/14/20)
Time: x: x: x up 13 min, load average: 0.08, 0.07, 0.07

Then I reset from Web-admin, then hard reset, then erased NVRAM by below:

>erase nvram && reboot

{ No output and no error and no comment appeared on PuTTY terminal.}

And then again by command below:

>mtd -r erase nvram

Thant gave me output below:

root@DD-WRT:~# mtd -r erase nvram
Unlocking nvram ...
flash : Could not unlock MTD device: nvram
nvram: No such file or directory
Erasing nvram ...
flash : Flash is NAND
flash : erase[0]
flash : erase[131072]
flash : erase[262144]
flash : erase[393216]
flash : erase[524288]
flash : erase[655360]
flash : erase[786432]
flash : erase[917504]
flash : erase[1048576]
flash : erase[1179648]
flash : erase[1310720]
flash : erase[1441792]
flash : erase[1572864]
root@DD-WRT:~#

After that I waited to router come up and entered into Web-admin. I tries to change the router LAN side IP for Web-admin to 192.168.200.1, subnet 255.255.255.0, default gateway 192.168.201.1, and the start LAP IP for DHCP as 192.168.201.10 as its advised to default IP get changed by @kernel-panic69 and then router become inaccessible. I have done this process many times and resettled router many times and as soon as I apply settings, router become inaccessible also my Laptop that is connected to the router have no IP. I decided to apply the IP manually to my Ethernet adapter, as 192.168.201.10, subnet mast 255.255.255.0, and default gateway 192.168.201.1 and I see these setting on windows IP configuration over CMD but I couldn't access to the router after I applied IP change settings that is mentioned above on router.

My ISP's modem's web-admin IP does it related to this anyway as its under 192.168.200.1 it is?

Also while all of these tests conducted, my router was not connected to the ISP's modem never ever.

I'm so tired, when this DDWRT works for me??

?

Tnx and best of luck

Blonde.gif
 Description:
 Filesize:  3.61 MB
 Viewed:  7927 Time(s)

Blonde.gif

Last edited by blonde on Thu Jul 16, 2020 5:05; edited 1 time in total
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2020 5:03    Post subject: Reply with quote
43813 is today's build, not 43800.

----------------------
blonde
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2020 5:22    Post subject: Reply with quote
kernel-panic69 wrote:
43813 is today's build, not 43800.

Thanks. Sure I update it. But I suspect it does not work either. Is there any guide on how to start from scratch if you find out that something is wrong with my setup or config?

I'm thinking of r40559 as I suspect that one was a working one, but the issue is the DNScrpt on that one is not sending queries on encryption VPN channel?

I need help or advise maybe something happened that I'm newbie and I don't know?

I'm thinking of reverting to AusuMerling to check if these network settings will work on hat or not? Do you suggest this? Also shall I do it in recovery mode and use asus utility to do this, then revert the same process to DDWRT
again?

I'm sooo much tired of trying these settings on DDWRT to make it work? I don't know if anyone else have this sufferings, or its just me?

?

Tnx and best of luck

DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2020 5:28    Post subject: Reply with quote
I just noticed... erase nvram is not used anymore. The command is nvram erase. 40559 is probably one of the most problematic builds, don't use the router database. I guess you need to flash from Asus recovery mode/restoration utility, if things went awry? Also, there's wikis on how to do things, the information is out there. This plying the forum for help about things that are discussed numerous times... yeah... uhhhh....

----------------------
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: