After build 42278, my Asus RT-AC66U lacks connectivity

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
WouldRatherBeFOSS
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2020 3:54    Post subject: After build 42278, my Asus RT-AC66U lacks connectivity Reply with quote
As was discussed somewhat at the end of this page (and onto the next page), in builds later than 42278 my Asus RT-AC66U - which I use in Gateway mode - shows as connected (on Windows and Linux) but, except for very intermittently and briefly, can access no websites and ping no addresses.

Suggestions from that thread led me to add the following, in the DD-WRT GUI, to Services -> Additional DNSMasq options

all-servers
no-resolv
server=<ip of first DNS server>
server=<ip of second DNS server>
server=<ip of third DNS server>

But that did not help (although with the same configuraton build 42278 works).

Operating systems on devices that I use with that router: GNU-Linux; Windows 10; Android 13
Sponsor
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2020 4:11    Post subject: Reply with quote
On main setup page, check:
Use dnsmasq for dns
dhcp-authoritative
forced dns redirection

On services page under dnsmasq, enable:
dnsmasq
no dns rebind
query dns in strict order

(leave the rest disabled)

Additional dnsmasq options:

Code:
domain-needed
bogus-priv 
no-negcache 
filterwin2k 
dhcp-option=43,01:04:00:00:00:02 
no-resolv
all-servers  
server=8.8.8.8 
server=8.8.4.4 
server=208.67.220.220 
server=208.67.222.222
server=1.1.1.1
server=9.9.9.9 
min-cache-ttl=3600

EDIT: I also usually assign the router lan IP to the three static servers on the main setup page to prevent dns leaks. Usually, the upstream router/modem I am behind is configured for OpenDNS, not the ISP DNS servers. Otherwise, all-servers is not a good idea.

If you still have problems after that, then there's a problem since that is essentially the gateway config I've used for nearly two years. I don't use unbound, smartdns, dnssec, etc., so I can't give direction there, but I can find the information if someone doesn't chime in. You're a recipient of my grace tonight as I would've normally just said, search my posts, I've posted the right config half a dozen times Razz Twisted Evil Laughing

DD-WRT Releases 2023 (PolitePol)
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (RSS Everything)

----------------------
Linux User #377467 counter.li.org / linuxcounter.net
WouldRatherBeFOSS
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2020 4:35    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thank you. I implemented all that. (Well, except for 'query dns in strict order', for which I saw no option, and 'assign the router lan IP to the three static servers', which I did not understand. Also, I kept some of my own server list, though it is similar to yours.)

The problem remained.

I will investigate the changelog.

Operating systems on devices that I use with that router: GNU-Linux; Windows 10; Android 13
WouldRatherBeFOSS
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2020 4:53    Post subject: Reply with quote
I am having trouble navigating the changelog. For, when I click on an item in the top-level changelog, I end up seeing a whole load of files listed, not all of which were modified within the time at issue. Also, when one looks at the files themselves, changes are not marked. It is just a matter of learning how to use the software, I suppose.

The changes list concern, mostly (igoring a few that seem unlikely to have caused my problem): kernel changes; adding Chrony.

kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2020 10:19    Post subject: Reply with quote
If "Query ... in strict order" under dnsmasq options on the services page does not exist, there is a problem. I am not tied to my one DD-WRT router on this laptop, so screenshots are a no-go without some trickery. I guess I can refer you to the wiki that needs to be updated that was written when udhcpd was still included: https://wiki.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/DNSMasq_as_DHCP_server

The only things in err is the use dnsmasq as dhcp server being present, the forced dns redirection checkbox not being present, and the local dns option being present. There have been changes since that wiki was written and last updated, but there is relevant information in there. I will have to backtrack some changes to make edits when I get a chance. You can see the static dns 1, etc. though. That is what I was referring to earlier.

----------------------
WouldRatherBeFOSS
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2020 13:49    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks for the wiki-link, KP. However, I do know to which part of it you mean to refer me - when you talk of 'static dns 1, etc. I am sorry to go on, but please supply a section nummber. (For, that wiki has section numbers.)

I have found the 'strict order' checkbox. I had been looking for it elsewhere than the 'services' tab.

kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2020 17:52    Post subject: Reply with quote
I guess I thought it was obvious:

----------------------
WouldRatherBeFOSS
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2020 17:57    Post subject: Reply with quote
With a UI like this, little is obvious: OK, I've read the board

Smile

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: