Virtual Access Points using VLANs

paradoiley
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 18:36    Post subject: Virtual Access Points using VLANs Reply with quote
Hi all,

I am looking for advice on how to debug my vlan/vap setup. It was all working Saturday and had been working for the last month, and then I broke it.

I had an Asus RT-AC3100 (build 43209), and Netgear R7000 (build 43209) set up as access points behind a pfsense gateway.

I am using vlans with different ssids to route traffic through vpn gateways so that I can stream tv from different countries. I also have a guest network.

My employer is allowing us to expense office equipment during the pandemic, so I decided to replace the R7000 with a new Asus RT-AC5300.

I flashed build 43516 onto it, and pretty much copied my configuration from the AC3100. They appear to be nearly identical with the addition of a second radio for the AC5300.

Unfortunately, it didn't work. And my AC3100 stopped working. And my R7000 didn't work when I plugged it back in Sad

In all cases I don't appear to be hitting the pfsense box. At the moment, I'm just trying to figure out what the best way to troubleshoot the problem is.

My configuration is:

pfsense <-> netgear GSS116E smart switch <-> ddwrt

pfsense is serving dhcp for all networks, and each of the virtual networks is supposed to be trunked over the wan port of the ddwrt boxes.

When I join the alternate networks from any of the routers I get a message saying "No Internet Connection" and a 169.x.x.x address, which indicates that I'm not getting to the dhcp server. If I manually set an address I don't get very far either.

My main network is working just fine and the ac5300 is better than the r7000 with respect to speed and reach Smile

Is there something like tcpdump that I can run on dd-wrt that will tell me what is happening there? I tried to find something but the references to tcpdump were to grab from old versions of openwrt so I didn't go very far with them.

At the moment, I'm just trying to figure out if the problem is the routers, or the switch, or the pfsense box. Initially I thought that the issue was with me not getting the configuration correct on the AC5300, but the fact that my formerly working AC3100 and R7000 are also no longer working has me questioning if it's the switch or the gateway.

I will be able to run tcpdump on the gateway and also a linux box connected to the switch. I would just like to get some insight into what is happening on the routers.

Thanks for any help in this regard. I could include my configuration, but since I had it all working I didn't think it would be useful yet.

Jared
Sponsor
Per Yngve Berg
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 19:38    Post subject: Reply with quote
Isn't tcpdump included in those routers. Both of mine have it (RT-AC66U and R7800).

Run tcpdump from a ssh session.
paradoiley
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 19:46    Post subject: Reply with quote
Per Yngve Berg wrote:
Isn't tcpdump included in those routers. Both of mine have it (RT-AC66U and R7800).

Run tcpdump from a ssh session.

Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to be present on the AC5300.

root@ac5300:~# which tcpdump
root@ac5300:~# tcpdump
-sh: tcpdump: not found
root@ac5300:~# busybox tcpdump
tcpdump: applet not found
root@ac5300:~#

My r7000 is currently turned off since it has the same SSIDs and isn't connected to the LAN, so I'll have to check there later.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Advanced Networking All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: