Anyone else get early morning drop outs?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
WouldRatherBeFOSS
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 16:04    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks all for the information. I will look into it.

In the meantime, here is some information that I should have supplied.

- I am in the United Kingdom.

- I have what my ISP calls 'Always-on Broadband xDSL'.

- I have what in the UK is called 'fibre to the cabinet' (and as I said before); from the cabinet, there is a copper wire to my house.
My ISP is Plusnet.

- I get download speeds of some 60-75 MBbps; my ISP says I can get 'up to' 75 MBps or perhaps (I forget) 85.

Operating systems on devices that I use with that router: GNU-Linux; Windows 10; Android 13
Sponsor
arssant
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 16:35    Post subject: Reply with quote
Ok... I see that now, 1st for me.
You don´t have access to the fiber cable.
You cant use any fiber device at your home, as the ISP fiber cable is ending at the ISP cabinet outside of your home.
And you are served by a cooper wire from the ISP cabinet.
So you´r stuck on vDSL or xDSL modem, or what ever. I suggest to take a lock over your ISP forum.
The issue is not your own device ( ddwrt ). It´s the coper line, BT modem, cabinet-fiber... But by my experience, only on the mornings... hummm sound like traffic shaping from the ISP.
WouldRatherBeFOSS
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 19:57    Post subject: Reply with quote
I attach the label on my existing 'BT OpenReach' modem. Possibly my first step will just be to get inside that modem (via software) and see whether I can improve it in any way.

EDIT: Except, ah, it seems that access those BT modems via software one needs to fiddle with their circuit boards. So perhaps I'll buy an unlocked 'Huawei EchoLife HG612 3B VDSL', that being a modem that will work with Plusnet (according to one of the people posting on this thread) and indeed which seems to have been supplied by BT at one time. There's an unlocked one of those modems available on Ebay. My existing modem seems to have started manufacture in 2012, whereas that date for the EchoLife is . . actually, I have not been able to find out.

Current 'OpenRearch' modem (without MAC or serial).jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  27.19 KB
 Viewed:  3102 Time(s)

Current 'OpenRearch' modem (without MAC or serial).jpg

Operating systems on devices that I use with that router: GNU-Linux; Windows 10; Android 13

Last edited by WouldRatherBeFOSS on Thu Jul 02, 2020 22:11; edited 1 time in total
arssant
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 20:47    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi.

I´m stuck on my last guess : "traffic shaping" from your ISP.
Quote:
@WouldRatherBeFOSS: goes down for some ten seconds most nights, at between midnight and 4pm (U.K. time)

Sound like old times, when banks, credits business, insurances, supermarkets, etc used all bandwidth available at night to make theirs remote backups, and aDSL/xDSL was in use.

So your internet connection is vDSL, as this model is a vDSL modem over cooper wire.
I don´t know if using another vDSL modem will change anything.

For a hardware related issue, it should occur randomly, not at same time period.

PS: fix your attached pic size plz.
WouldRatherBeFOSS
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 22:12    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks, arssant. My ISP swears the problem is not at their end and even produced some engineering reports. However, it may still be that you are right.

PS: I've shrunk the image I posted.

arssant
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 23:02    Post subject: Reply with quote
I just remember something.
At my parents home, located on a small town, my ISP ( vodafone ) every night at 12PM drop my 3/4G connection, and it take 10-20 secs to get sync and connected again, but not randomly, always at 12PM every days.
Another ISP in the past did the same over aDSL, but at 24h period connection.
Reason, not allowing customers to keep the same external IP for long time period.
So hardware issue from your side, probably no.
Traffic jam ( traffic shaping ), sync renew form ISP vDSL dslam, even external electromagnetic interferences from a weirdo device, would be my guess.
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2020 1:18    Post subject: Reply with quote
Reading back through this thread and realizing you are on *DSL, I just remembered something. There is no getting around this. This is the nature of the beast. I remember I had this same issue when I had Verizon DSL with a Westell modem in the past. It's going to happen and you can't do anything about it. Does your ISP have a login client for Windows that you're s'posed to use? Or do you have to set up something like PPPoE?
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (PolitePol)
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (RSS Everything)

----------------------
Linux User #377467 counter.li.org / linuxcounter.net
WouldRatherBeFOSS
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2020 2:17    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks KP (and arssant)

Quote:
Does your ISP have a login client for Windows that you're s'posed to use? Or do you have to set up something like PPPoE?

I am unsure what you mean by 'login client' but I do not think there is any extra layer of software to connect to the net (and my Linux laptops and Android phone have no special hoop they must jusm through to connect). I *do* have a 'PPoE' connection.

kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2020 3:49    Post subject: Reply with quote
Years ago, they usually gave you a windows client software to install as a connection manager for the PPPoE on top of using DHCP to get the IP address. Some weird setup. I think some ISPs still do this, but I don't know. I haven't messed with any of that in a while. I never *had* to use the client software except in extreme case scenarios. The worst was until I developed a watchdog to check for WAN IP changes, I had to manually via command line restart networking on my OpenBSD box connected to my DSL modem. Fun times.

----------------------
arssant
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2020 15:30    Post subject: Reply with quote
kernel-panic69 wrote:
I had Verizon DSL with a Westell modem in the past.

Lol, same here, my 1st modem wireless/router was from verizon Manhattan ( NY ). Still use it, sort of, I keep the mini pci card, ralink one on a old laptop with winXP.
The modem was the perfect spot for the cat in winter time.

kernel-panic69 wrote:
Does your ISP have a login client for Windows that you're s'posed to use? Or do you have to set up something like PPPoE?

Maybe not, vodafone ADSL here in Europe and New Zealand, use RFC 1483 Bridging. No PPPoE. No need for login/user name/password configuration on the modem, something like this:

But to be honest never saw a vDSL. What I could understand, they use 2 pair of twisted cooper wire to achieve higher speeds. Remember old ISDN prior to aDSL, using 2 channels to get 128kbps instead of 64kbps.

vodafone_adsl.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  53.38 KB
 Viewed:  3029 Time(s)

vodafone_adsl.png

kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2020 16:25    Post subject: Reply with quote
AKA "dual ISDN", I think. Gone are the days of just plug-and-pray, er, play? All I can say is, *DSL lines have their quirks. I am hoping that some of these other ISPs in my area get more market share so I can set up a second WAN and load balancing. There are times that it would be a great option. Like right now. Cable is down and has been for over 12 hours.

----------------------
tli
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2020 12:27    Post subject: Reply with quote
Old thread, hope problem has been resolved. Just read this story that might be of interest:

https://www.cnn.com/2020/09/22/uk/old-tv-breaks-broadband-village-scli-intl-gbr/

FYI...
WouldRatherBeFOSS
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2020 14:10    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks, tli. The article is indeed relevant (to these sorts of problems). I don't know what causes my problem. I got my ISP to put me on a prioritized connection and that reduced the frequency of the early morning drop outs by about two-thirds. But they still occur.

Technologyreviewer
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2020 9:57    Post subject: DD-WRT Router drops in the morning Reply with quote
The DD-WRT is an excellent router that makes your router perform in the best way possible as according to the several articles I have read on DD-WRT. I was trying to read and see if I will get a solution to the question asked but all the main sites I went through did not have a solution for the dropping of connections in the morning.
Some of the articles I have gone through include:
https://www.forbes.com/sites/anthonykarcz/2019/07/11/the-best-dd-wrt-routers-of-2019/
https://proprivacy.com/router/comparison/5-best-dd-wrt-routers
https://windowsreport.com/dd-wrt-routers/
http://technologyreviewer.com/10-best-router-with-dd-wrt-reviews/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QcbJ6nw_GhA

I am going through what other persons in the community are giving as solutions to see what will be applicable to you and my own challenges.
[url][/url]
WouldRatherBeFOSS
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2020 22:27    Post subject: Reply with quote
Technologyreviewer: thanks.

In my case I blame my ISP. For, the dramatic reduction in drops when I was put on a prioritized connection does suggest the ISP as the cause. I wish you luck with your problem.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 Display posts from previous:    Page 4 of 4
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: