WRT3200ACM DD-WRT v3.0-r35034 CenturyLink Fiber

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Marvell MVEBU based Hardware (WRT1900AC etc.)
drhiii
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 3:46    Post subject: WRT3200ACM DD-WRT v3.0-r35034 CenturyLink Fiber Reply with quote
REF: https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=300259
https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=318386

An old thread but… help? I have a Linksys flashed with WRT 3200ACM DD-WRT v3.0-r35034 std (02/17/1Cool. Have a Centurylink account, 100mb circuit. Their OAN modem and then their Zyxel 3000Z router.

Have attempted to create the PPPoE connection with the Linksys but no joy. There is obviously more to it given the above thread. As in more tweaking than just issuing the ID and password for the PPPoE account that connects to their OAN modem.

Can anyone point to a more recent ‘how to’ for these components? Would much appreciate. Irks me to either rent their router when I far prefer to insert the Linksys into the mix. Am a neophyte in this but have been able to do some really cool things with DD-WRT. Exceedingly superior community for starters.

I have a Buffalo 600 flashed with DD-WRT that I can tweak as well, to practice a configuration on if need be.

tx
Sponsor
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 4:25    Post subject: Reply with quote
You may wish to consider upgrading. I split your post off the thread you posted to and added reference(s).

https://download1.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv2/downloads/betas/2020/06-25-2020-r43516/linksys-wrt3200acm/

DD-WRT Releases 2023 (PolitePol)
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (RSS Everything)

----------------------
Linux User #377467 counter.li.org / linuxcounter.net
drhiii
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 4:29    Post subject: Reply with quote
kernel-panic69 wrote:
You may wish to consider upgrading. I split your post off the thread you posted to and added reference(s).

https://download1.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv2/downloads/betas/2020/06-25-2020-r43516/linksys-wrt3200acm/

Thank you for the guidance and course correction. Are you recommending upgrading as it would get that much close to handling a connection to Centurylink's PPOE?

Am always nervous about upgrading leading to bricking a router. But it would be worth the go if it did get closer to the goal.

Thankx very much for your advice.
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 4:35    Post subject: Reply with quote
I'm just wondering if there is an issue with PPPoE in your current build that has since been fixed. You can check the build thread for 43516, I don't recall any bricks. It could be that there may be some other trickery required, but I don't use PPPoE here. Hopefully, someone with that provider can shed some light on the situation. I moved your post because Broadcom and Marvell do not use the same command-line voodoo for anything referenced in those threads... and perhaps someone here can offer more guidance than I can.
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (PolitePol)
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (RSS Everything)

----------------------
Linux User #377467 counter.li.org / linuxcounter.net
drhiii
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 4:41    Post subject: Reply with quote
kernel-panic69 wrote:
I'm just wondering if there is an issue with PPPoE in your current build that has since been fixed. You can check the build thread for 43516, I don't recall any bricks. It could be that there may be some other trickery required, but I don't use PPPoE here. Hopefully, someone with that provider can shed some light on the situation. I moved your post because Broadcom and Marvell do not use the same command-line voodoo for anything referenced in those threads... and perhaps someone here can offer more guidance than I can.

Tx. I now understand about the missplaced original post.

And yes... hopefully someone may see this and shed more light on Centurylink and PPOE connections.

And yes, will upgrade. I mean, it almost always works, yes? I will cringe of I just tempted the DD-WRT gods.

tx
SurprisedItWorks
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 19:26    Post subject: Reply with quote
drhiii wrote:
And yes, will upgrade. I mean, it almost always works, yes? I will cringe of I just tempted the DD-WRT gods.

tx

Your router model has dual firmware partitions, and if something goes horribly wrong in the upgrade, it's generally simple to go back to the original build. Reports of people bricking these Linksys/Marvell two-partition routers have been really, really rare.

For insurance, here are a few fairly standard reminders, except for the ALTERNATIVE notes, which contain a bit of my personal experience:
  • Back up your configuration first. (There's only one nvram config memory where all the GUI settings are stored.)

• Before upgrading, review the Cliff Notes sticky at the top of the Marvell forum. Pay attention to the material on knowing and controlling what partition you are writing, just so that multiple attempts don't overwrite your original build.

• Before upgrading, review the new-build thread in that forum for the build you plan to use.

• When an upgrade skips many, many builds (say a year or more), most people advise doing a reset (of the GUI/nvram settings) after upgrading and then carefully re-entering the settings. Some people do this re-entering of settings on every upgrade, even when no long time jump is involved, but I've not found it necessary myself.

• ALTERNATIVE: Some people will use multiple upgrades in sequence to avoid huge jumps that would require resetting and re-entering everything. Yes, it's hard to know which intermediate steps to use. There are a few dangerous ones. There was a period in the 2nd half of 2019 when some builds were too large for partition 2 but fit OK in partition 1 (on my routers anyway... not sure about yours). Build 40134 and earlier ones and build 40890 and later ones all fit both partitions. People have trouble with 40559, which the Router Database apparently suggests. Builds 40167 and especially 40863 bricked routers. Builds I used here without major issues (some required modest bug workarounds for specific features): 36698 37736 38159 39144 40009 41954 42926.

• Snap photos of the GUI pages before upgrading. Copying off any text windows beforehand can help also.

• After upgrading, go through every page of the GUI looking for anomalies. I've had settings mysteriously change or spurious text mysteriously appear in formerly empty text boxes.

2x Netgear XR500 and 3x Linksys WRT1900ACSv2 on 53544: VLANs, VAPs, NAS, station mode, OpenVPN client (AirVPN), wireguard server (AirVPN port forward) and clients (AzireVPN, AirVPN, private), 3 DNSCrypt providers via VPN.
drhiii
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 19:58    Post subject: Reply with quote
Brilliant. Thank you for the 'primer'. I have flashed many a DD-WRTs but it is always a sinking feeling when one bricks. Rarely happens. And only once have I not been able to recover. Having other DD-WRT routers here helps as I am just trying to get PPOE to work with Centurylink and use the existing equipment, mine.

Will come at this this eve or tmrw, or shortly, and post the success or recovery experience.

Again, DD-WRT is one of the few places where the community is positive. Speaks to talent and skills for starters.

And for grins, late last eve I thought I would take a look at existing iptables and brought the network down for about 30 secs. The missus was like, not again. We'd lost CL link for 5 days due to a lightning strike close by. This time the strike was me.

SurprisedItWorks wrote:
drhiii wrote:

tx

Your router model has dual firmware partitions, and if something goes horribly wrong in the upgrade, it's generally simple to go back to the original build. Reports of people bricking these Linksys/Marvell two-partition routers have been really, really rare.

For insurance, here are a few fairly standard reminders, except for the ALTERNATIVE notes, which contain a bit of my personal experience:
  • Back up your configuration first. (There's only one nvram config memory where all the GUI settings are stored.)

• Before upgrading, review the Cliff Notes sticky at the top of the Marvell forum. Pay attention to the material on knowing and controlling what partition you are writing, just so that multiple attempts don't overwrite your original build.

• Before upgrading, review the new-build thread in that forum for the build you plan to use.

• When an upgrade skips many, many builds (say a year or more), most people advise doing a reset (of the GUI/nvram settings) after upgrading and then carefully re-entering the settings. Some people do this re-entering of settings on every upgrade, even when no long time jump is involved, but I've not found it necessary myself.

• ALTERNATIVE: Some people will use multiple upgrades in sequence to avoid huge jumps that would require resetting and re-entering everything. Yes, it's hard to know which intermediate steps to use. There are a few dangerous ones. There was a period in the 2nd half of 2019 when some builds were too large for partition 2 but fit OK in partition 1 (on my routers anyway... not sure about yours). Build 40134 and earlier ones and build 40890 and later ones all fit both partitions. People have trouble with 40559, which the Router Database apparently suggests. Builds 40167 and especially 40863 bricked routers. Builds I used here without major issues (some required modest bug workarounds for specific features): 36698 37736 38159 39144 40009 41954 42926.

• Snap photos of the GUI pages before upgrading. Copying off any text windows beforehand can help also.

• After upgrading, go through every page of the GUI looking for anomalies. I've had settings mysteriously change or spurious text mysteriously appear in formerly empty text boxes.
drhiii
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2020 21:40    Post subject: Belated, but... Reply with quote
The firmware flash upgrade worked. Used late August firmware. Was overly overly cautious with backups and prep, so things went A-ok. Had I not done that, being superstitious, things would have bonked.

Now to try the PPPOe function. Be nice to remove the additional router that connects to Centurylink and save an extra $72 a year.
SurprisedItWorks
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2020 23:10    Post subject: Reply with quote
Congrats! Great to hear!

A minor suggestion: in the dd-wrt forum, refer to builds by number, not by date alone. No one much remembers the dates except very roughly, but many specific builds have their numbers become standard parts of the dd-wrt vocabulary! (I'm a happy camper on 44048 now myself.)

I have no experience with PPPoE, so I'll leave the next stage of the discussion to others. Good luck!

2x Netgear XR500 and 3x Linksys WRT1900ACSv2 on 53544: VLANs, VAPs, NAS, station mode, OpenVPN client (AirVPN), wireguard server (AirVPN port forward) and clients (AzireVPN, AirVPN, private), 3 DNSCrypt providers via VPN.
drhiii
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2020 0:22    Post subject: Reply with quote
SurprisedItWorks wrote:
Congrats! Great to hear!

A minor suggestion: in the dd-wrt forum, refer to builds by number, not by date alone. No one much remembers the dates except very roughly, but many specific builds have their numbers become standard parts of the dd-wrt vocabulary! (I'm a happy camper on 44048 now myself.)

I have no experience with PPPoE, so I'll leave the next stage of the discussion to others. Good luck!

Yes, my error to not include build number. Will do so next flash..

Am just relieved. I do note approx 20% speed increase which is nice. Now to see if PPPOe will go. That would be icing...
blkt
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2020 17:45    Post subject: Reply with quote
FYI just look in the upper right after connecting to the Web GUI. Build number also displays as you log in via Telnet or SSH.

Late August is likely r44251.
drhiii
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2020 18:06    Post subject: Reply with quote
blkt wrote:
FYI just look in the upper right after connecting to the Web GUI. Build number also displays as you log in via Telnet or SSH.

Late August is likely r44251.

Yessir, I just checked. Tx for doing my homework for me. Won't be lazy again.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Marvell MVEBU based Hardware (WRT1900AC etc.) All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: