Wl0 unreliable after adding virtual interface [SOLVED]

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Author Message
kartal
DD-WRT Novice


Joined: 28 Jan 2009
Posts: 41

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2020 15:33    Post subject: Wl0 unreliable after adding virtual interface [SOLVED] Reply with quote
Hi

I added a virtual interface to WL0 and removed it after couple days. Since then the signal quality tanked no matter what channel, transmission rate or other settings I tried.

After I removed the virtual interface I was not able to get internet on it, as in it can't go outside of the network. I enable the previous virtual interface, that brigns the internet back but the signal is plain horrible and I get ping numbers like 300, 1500, 128ms (up and down) between the devices and the router so it is insanely unreliable. Not just that, the signal coverage is horrible to , it seems like I lost the signal in the half of the house, it is barely available in the other half of the house.


Now it could also be that someone around the neighbourhood added a new router into their network messing upo my stuff but this is highly unlikely because no setting improves my situation a bit.

It would be nice if I do not reset thte router because I have alot of nat port forwards etc so I wish to keep those and adding all other settings is a bit tedious.


WL1 seems to be doing alright, that is pretty much like before and no wonly stuff except that its signal strenght seems to be lost about %20 coverage.

Any ideas or recommendations?

Router Model
Netgear R6400 v2
Firmware Version
DD-WRT v3.0-r43516
Kernel Version
Linux 4.4.228 #394 SMP armv7l
Sponsor
kartal
DD-WRT Novice


Joined: 28 Jan 2009
Posts: 41

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 16:30    Post subject: Reply with quote
This turns out to be weirder.

I reset the router and this did not help at all so my idea that adding/removing virtual interface was total bonkers. I was scratching my head whole day until I realized that whenever one of laptops (DEV-A, linux) connected to WL1 it would bring down the whole WL0 to its knees.

To test this idea further, I started pinging the router on a device that had connection to WL0 (tried with other devices too). The device had pings around 5-10ms. The second DEV-A connects to WL1 (HT40 or VHT80 did not matter) the whole WL0 network would go snail speed and reception became really bad. The ping times went up 1000 ms..10000+ ms from ping times below 10ms So this was totally weird.


I suspected that this was because of the USB network card I use on DEV-A (RTL8812AU 802.11a/b/g/n/ac 2T2R DB WLAN Adapter) however that was the only one I could use to connect to WL1.

Just to make sure I also tested the USB card on Windows 10 and it got even weirder because the same card on Windows 10 connecting to WL1 did not bring the network to its knees. So I got even more confused about what is going on.

The last thing I thought it could be then a driver issue on Linux 5.6 that relies on Wpa-Supplicant. I knew that Connman had its own Wifi implementation and I was using NetworkManager. I installed Connman, disabled NetworkManager.After that the whole problem of the whole network going down is not there when DEV-A connected to WL1,now that Connman is in control of this Usb network card.

Hard to believe but it happened. I am just reporting my steps here in case someone else finds themselves in this bizarre combo.
Display posts from previous:    Page 1 of 1
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You can attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum