No USB Drive/HDD detected on DIR-882 [SOLVED]

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Ralink SoC based Hardware
samarthp
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2020 21:32    Post subject: No USB Drive/HDD detected on DIR-882 [SOLVED] Reply with quote
Hi,

I installed ddwrt using recovery method on the stock DIR-882 firmware. I installed the r43324 version using factory-to-ddwrt.bin. After the installation on inserting any USB device into either USB2 or USB3 port, the USB device was not getting detected.

I enabled all the options under the USB menu but still none of my USB Drives/HDD were getting detected. I tried with both USB HDD with power adapter and without but none was detected. I even tried with a USB2 4GB pen-drive but it too was not detected. One thing i observed that when i plugged in my USB pen-drive the LED on the pen-drive was not lit up. If I insert this pen-drive to any other device it will lit up and will blink. Seems like DDWRT was not powering on the USB ports. I tried with other older ddwrt versions too like r42954 & r42914 but same observation.

I reverted back to the Stock version 1.20 and the all the USB Drives/HDD are getting detected properly. I would really want to move to DDWRT but i need to have USB ports working!

dmesg: https://pastebin.com/Wk4Qs5j8
Sponsor
feliciano
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2020 11:58    Post subject: Reply with quote
Besides flashing different dd-wrt builds, just in case: have you tried with a FAT or ext3 USB device?
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2020 12:05    Post subject: Reply with quote
Well, the 4GB USB Pen-Drive was FAT & the HDD was NTFS. I didn't had ext3/4 formatted drive to try.

I don't feel the issue was with filesystem format. Even with trying with all these different usb drives, there was no entry for those usb devices in /dev/. I tried listing both /dev/sd* & /dev/s* and couldn't find any device.

Also, by rolling back to stock firmware, USB seems to be working fine so I do not suspect Hardware issue too.
jalfraag
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2020 12:59    Post subject: Reply with quote
USB hasn't worked since the move to 4.x kernel.
38253 and maybe a few shortly after is the last time it did.
samarthp
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2020 23:05    Post subject: Reply with quote
Has it stopped working for all devices or just DIR-882? Also, my understanding was with the new ksmbd, only the samba share is not stable enough with latest kernel but USB should work.

Can anybody else confirm if USB is working on latest ddwrt firmware for DIR-882?
jalfraag
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 15:42    Post subject: Reply with quote
You could try Broly's latest build. Last time I tried it, USB was working (I think).
samarthp
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2020 18:53    Post subject: Reply with quote
Can you point me to broly's latest one? Also, is there anywhere its mentioned what is working & not working in the broly's build?

I feel the thread for broly's is not updated regularly now.
jalfraag
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2020 18:37    Post subject: Reply with quote
Second post on this thread
https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=324036
samarthp
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 5:18    Post subject: Reply with quote
Well, I tried broly's build and the USB HDDs are getting detected now and able to configure NAS too. But broly's build has its own problems so reverted back to BS r43516.

Also, i figured a reason for USB Devices not getting detected in all these builds. The Kernel module xhci-mtk is not getting loaded by default. So explicitly loading it using below command starts detecting all my USB HDDs.

insmod xhci-mtk.ko

I have added this command to start-up script and its working so far.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Ralink SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: