Pihole causing Maximum number of concurrent DNS queries

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Marvell MVEBU based Hardware (WRT1900AC etc.)
jifffy
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2020 20:40    Post subject: Pihole causing Maximum number of concurrent DNS queries Reply with quote
Ever since I installed pihole and configured it with my 3200acm linksys router my syslog is filled with
Code:
DD-WRT daemon.warn dnsmasq[5827]: Maximum number of concurrent DNS queries reached (max: 150)
What options can be taken to either increase the number of max queries or fix this issue? Can SmartDNS Resolver help in this situation ?
Sponsor
embleton
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2020 3:19    Post subject: Re: Pihole causing Maximum number of concurrent DNS queries Reply with quote
jifffy wrote:
Ever since I installed pihole and configured it with my 3200acm linksys router my syslog is filled with
Code:
DD-WRT daemon.warn dnsmasq[5827]: Maximum number of concurrent DNS queries reached (max: 150)
What options can be taken to either increase the number of max queries or fix this issue? Can SmartDNS Resolver help in this situation ?

What do you have set for Forced DNS Redirection? This cannot be set to true when pi-hole is in the same DNS zone and you are forwarding DNS traffic through the dd-wrt router.
jifffy
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2020 5:24    Post subject: Re: Pihole causing Maximum number of concurrent DNS queries Reply with quote
embleton wrote:
jifffy wrote:
Code:

What do you have set for Forced DNS Redirection? This cannot be set to true when pi-hole is in the same DNS zone and you are forwarding DNS traffic through the dd-wrt router.

I have Forced DNS Redirection set to off.
embleton
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2020 6:27    Post subject: Re: Pihole causing Maximum number of concurrent DNS queries Reply with quote
jifffy wrote:
embleton wrote:
jifffy wrote:
Code:

It does sound like it's a recursive issue; do you have pi-hole DNS forwarding to the router or an internet DNS servers like Google or similar?

The usual way is to set up DHCP on pi-hole and forward its traffic directly to a DNS server that isn't the router. Alternatively, you run the DHCP server on the dd-wrt router and forward to DNS pi-hole internally and then pi-hole to an internet DNS server(s). The latter is how I have it set up in my own system via a firewall with round-robin DNS over HTTPS outside the internal private zone of dd-wrt.
jifffy
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2020 11:51    Post subject: Re: Pihole causing Maximum number of concurrent DNS queries Reply with quote
embleton wrote:
jifffy wrote:
embleton wrote:
jifffy wrote:
Code:

It does sound like it's a recursive issue; do you have pi-hole DNS forwarding to the router or an internet DNS servers like Google or similar?

The usual way is to set up DHCP on pi-hole and forward its traffic directly to a DNS server that isn't the router. Alternatively, you run the DHCP server on the dd-wrt router and forward to DNS pi-hole internally and then pi-hole to an internet DNS server(s). The latter is how I have it set up in my own system via a firewall with round-robin DNS over HTTPS outside the internal private zone of dd-wrt.

I have it set up with pihole is attached to the router and the router uses the pihole as a dns server, I followed the guide on how to install it here https://discourse.pi-hole.net/t/how-do-i-configure-my-devices-to-use-pi-hole-as-their-dns-server/245
embleton
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2020 23:56    Post subject: Re: Pihole causing Maximum number of concurrent DNS queries Reply with quote
jifffy wrote:
embleton wrote:
jifffy wrote:
embleton wrote:
jifffy wrote:
Code:

I have it set up with pihole is attached to the router and the router uses the pihole as a dns server, I followed the guide on how to install it here https://discourse.pi-hole.net/t/how-do-i-configure-my-devices-to-use-pi-hole-as-their-dns-server/245

There are actually three different methods explained in that URL, so which of these three methods have you used and the IP address of pi-hole & the router and DNS IP addresses, please?

My own setup is method 1.

pi-hole IP is 192.168.2.48 router at IP is 192.168.2.1 DNS on router points to DNS on pi-hole at 192.168.2.48 and pi-hole points to 192.168.200.1 (to my firewall upstream that does DNS over HTTPS to upstream internet DNS servers).
Eyerex
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2020 9:36    Post subject: Reply with quote
I just set Additional Dnsmasq Options
dhcp-option=6,Pihole Address and thats it don't change anything else

On the Pi for Use Conditional Forwarding ip address of router, Local domain name local

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2020 18:54    Post subject: Reply with quote
Eyerex wrote:
I just set Additional Dnsmasq Options
dhcp-option=6,Pihole Address and thats it don't change anything else

On the Pi for Use Conditional Forwarding ip address of router, Local domain name local

What about the first static IP address on the router {pihole address} 192.168.1.13 and leave the rest at 0's.
ATHF
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 3:49    Post subject: Reply with quote
Not sure if this will help you out at all,

I ran into a couple of problems also,
https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=319411&highlight=pihole

Velop:2 WHW0101, RE6500, RE9000(AP)
Spectrum - 1000/50
SysLog Watcher 5, New security Onion box coming soon, Fingboxes, PiHoles, NEMS, Cacti, rpisurv
jifffy
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 18:56    Post subject: Reply with quote
ATHF wrote:
Not sure if this will help you out at all,

I ran into a couple of problems also,
https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=319411&highlight=pihole
Hey your thread helped me a lot, big thanks.
jifffy
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 18:58    Post subject: Re: Pihole causing Maximum number of concurrent DNS queries Reply with quote
jifffy wrote:
Code:
I fixed this issue by setting the dns-forward-max to a higher number thus resolving the problem, here is what it looks like now
Code:
no-resolv
server=192.168.1.12
cache-size=2048
log-async=5
#strict-order
dns-forward-max=5096
min-cache-ttl=300
dhcp-option=6,192.168.1.12
ATHF
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2020 5:28    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hope it keeps working for you!
Velop:2 WHW0101, RE6500, RE9000(AP)
Spectrum - 1000/50
SysLog Watcher 5, New security Onion box coming soon, Fingboxes, PiHoles, NEMS, Cacti, rpisurv
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Marvell MVEBU based Hardware (WRT1900AC etc.) All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: