[SOLVED] Help with freshly flashed Linksys EA8500

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
quexpress
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2020 23:32    Post subject: [SOLVED] Help with freshly flashed Linksys EA8500 Reply with quote
First of all, I’d like to thanks everyone on this forum for all the help that is offered to anyone who wishes to flash their router to DD-WRT.

I had been using a D-Link Dir-615 router for quite a while and was happy with it. The last time I flashed it to DD-WRT was in 2011. It functioned well since then without many hiccups.

My PC runs on Windows 10 and our wireless WIFI is used by our 2 tablets and whenever someone with a phone or tablet visits us. It’s a very basic setup.
Lately I have started watching streamed videos, movies, etc. on the net and casting these to my TV via Chromecast.

However I am sometimes connected to the web through a VPN. In this case, I am unable to cast to my TV because my Chromecast is still on my local WIFI. I have been told that I need OpenVPN to be able to accomplish that.

I therefore came back to this forum to obtain help. One generous member suggested reading different areas on this forum (which I did) and also advised me that the EA8500 is a very good candidate for OpenVPN. He also added that there was a good possibility that I would need to do a “serial flash”.

After having purchased my used Linksys EA8500, I realized that it had Linksys Firmware version 1.1.9.192968. Gulp!!! I figured that I was stuck doing the “serial flash” … but just in case it worked, I decided to try to downgrade to version 1.1.4.167984. It worked!!!

My next step was to flash to DD-WRT. Someone mentioned on this forum that version r43217 dated May 22, 2020 was a very stable version. I therefore decided to try that factory-to-ddwrt.img file.
Low and behold … it worked!!!!!!!!!!

I’m a very happy camper … however I don’t know what I’m doing LOL. I didn’t know what dual band routers are and only know basics which I have read on the net. I don’t know anything about Linux.
So please bear with my newbie questions: Embarassed

1. Since our router is only used for very basic stuff, is it ok to keep the same SSID, password, etc. for both Wireless Physical Interfaces (2.4 GHz & 5 GHz)?

2. To fill out my wireless settings, I decided to copy mrjcd’s settings shown at:
https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=287976&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=1830

I noticed that he has a portion entitled “Virtual Interfaces”. I copied the settings (just in case) but do not know what this is used for, or if I need it. Any insight would be very appreciated! I’d like to delete this portion if it is not required.

3. The “Regulatory Domain” field is displayed under the 5 GHz portion in mrjcd’s settings. In my settings, it only shows up under the 2.4 GHZ portion. Does this matter?

4. I also have 1 extra field under my 5 GHz portion (compared to mrjcd’s settings):
This field is just before the SSID field: “Allow Channel Overlapping” (enable or disable). What should I do with this setting?

5. In my “Virtual Interfaces” portion (which I don’t know if need it), the field “Multicast to Unicast” (enable/disable) is missing. What should I do here?

Any insight, help, etc. would be very appreciated!

Thank you! Smile

msoengineer
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 0:57    Post subject: Re: Newbie questions with my freshly flashed Linksys ES8500 Reply with quote
quexpress wrote:
I am unable to cast to my TV because my Chromecast is still on my local WIFI. I have been told that I need OpenVPN to be able to accomplish that.

This is an issue with the network settings once you've enabled the VPN. You will need to look at the app of the VPN and see if it "allows local network" or "Allow LAN traffic" within the settings. The VPN overrides any local settings and hides the device from all other local LAN/WIFI devices. There is no need to mess with anything in openvpn unless you want all the network traffic to use a VPN. This has consequences in many areas...read more to learn what they are. TL:DR is not an excuse.

quexpress wrote:

1. Since our router is only used for very basic stuff, is it ok to keep the same SSID, password, etc. for both Wireless Physical Interfaces (2.4 GHz & 5 GHz)?

Read the qca wifi wiki about SSID- See my signature

quexpress wrote:

2. To fill out my wireless settings, I decided to copy mrjcd’s settings shown at:
https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=287976&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=1830

I noticed that he has a portion entitled “Virtual Interfaces”. I copied the settings (just in case) but do not know what this is used for, or if I need it. Any insight would be very appreciated! I’d like to delete this portion if it is not required.

Don't use his virtual interface settings until you learn more about what you are doing. Follow my first link for best wifi settings in my signature. Don't do anything else until you teach yourself about vlans. The simple home user won't need this.

quexpress wrote:

3. The “Regulatory Domain” field is displayed under the 5 GHz portion in mrjcd’s settings. In my settings, it only shows up under the 2.4 GHZ portion. Does this matter?

The gui was recently revised to only show the regulatory in one, but not both to avoid making a mistake and stopping the radios if mismatched.

quexpress wrote:

4. I also have 1 extra field under my 5 GHz portion (compared to mrjcd’s settings):
This field is just before the SSID field: “Allow Channel Overlapping” (enable or disable). What should I do with this setting?

Leave it alone at disabled- this is only for experts who know what it does.

quexpress wrote:

5. In my “Virtual Interfaces” portion (which I don’t know if need it), the field “Multicast to Unicast” (enable/disable) is missing. What should I do here?

Leave it alone.

TIPS/TRICKS: Best QCA Wifi Settings | Latency tricks | QoS Port priority | NEVER USE MU-MIMO |
Why to NOT use MU-MIMO | Max Wifi Pwr by Country | Linux Wifi Pwr | AC MCS & AX MCS | QCA 5Ghz chnls to use | WIFI Freq WIKI | TFTP R7800 | Don't buy AX | IPERF3 How-To

[R9000]52396 nightly (Main Router)
[EA8500]43192 & 45493 (2xOffsite)
[R7800] resting
[WDR3600]BS 44715 (Offsite)
[A7v5]BS 43038 (Offsite+spare napping)
quexpress
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 2:05    Post subject: Re: Newbie questions with my freshly flashed Linksys ES8500 Reply with quote
msoengineer wrote:
quexpress wrote:

Don't use his virtual interface settings until you learn more about what you are doing. Follow my first link for best wifi settings in my signature. Don't do anything else until you teach yourself about vlans. The simple home user won't need this.

Thanks for the quick reply and answers. I'll make sure to follow your advice.
For the "virtual interface" portion that I should not have copied: To remove these, is it a simple matter of clicking on the "Remove" button at the bottom of this "virtual interface" portion?

DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:58    Post subject: Re: Newbie questions with my freshly flashed Linksys EA8500 Reply with quote
quexpress wrote:

After having purchased my used Linksys EA8500, I realized that it had Linksys Firmware version 1.1.9.192968. Gulp!!! I figured that I was stuck doing the “serial flash” … but just in case it worked, I decided to try to downgrade to version 1.1.4.167984. It worked!!!

Hi,

I'm interested in downgrading my EA8500 but I'm also stuck with 1.1.9.192968. I only managed to downgrade to the previous version (1.1.8.something) thus far and was therefore reading up on doing a serial flash. Since you manged to do it without one I'm curious how you managed to get back to the unlocked 1.1.4 version.
Can you please elaborate?

Thanks.
blkt
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:33    Post subject: Reply with quote
How did you determine 1.1.4.167984 (5th release) was the version to try? This is good news.
quexpress
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 13:25    Post subject: Reply with quote
blkt wrote:
How did you determine 1.1.4.167984 (5th release) was the version to try? This is good news.

There was no logic to my choice. It's simply beginner's luck! I decided to try that one and it worked.

DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 13:28    Post subject: Re: Newbie questions with my freshly flashed Linksys EA8500 Reply with quote
drame wrote:
quexpress wrote:

Hi,

I'm interested in downgrading my EA8500 but I'm also stuck with 1.1.9.192968. I only managed to downgrade to the previous version (1.1.8.something) thus far and was therefore reading up on doing a serial flash. Since you manged to do it without one I'm curious how you managed to get back to the unlocked 1.1.4 version.
Can you please elaborate?

Thanks.

Sorry. I'm a newbie just like you and am unable to give you a reason for which this worked. I chose one at random and it worked.
More experience3d users will certainly have a better answer.
Good luck!

DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 14:09    Post subject: Reply with quote
As explained above, I screwed up by copying a portion entitled “Virtual Interfaces”.

What would be the best way of correcting this? Would resetting to factory default via the DD-WRT GUI restore the settings as was when DD-WRT was flashed? ... or should I simply use the "remove" button at the bottom of the "virtual interfaces" portion?

Thank you

DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 14:49    Post subject: Reply with quote
quexpress wrote:
As explained above, I screwed up by copying a portion entitled “Virtual Interfaces”.

What would be the best way of correcting this? Would resetting to factory default via the DD-WRT GUI restore the settings as was when DD-WRT was flashed? ... or should I simply use the "remove" button at the bottom of the "virtual interfaces" portion?

Thank you

Hit the remove button.

The Virtual Interfaces are used to create "guest" networks or other specific use cases to create a WDS network. Both require more knowledge of what you are doing and require other active steps to make the virtual interfaces work. This is where you need to read the wiki's to learn more about those features/modes.

TIPS/TRICKS: Best QCA Wifi Settings | Latency tricks | QoS Port priority | NEVER USE MU-MIMO |
Why to NOT use MU-MIMO | Max Wifi Pwr by Country | Linux Wifi Pwr | AC MCS & AX MCS | QCA 5Ghz chnls to use | WIFI Freq WIKI | TFTP R7800 | Don't buy AX | IPERF3 How-To

[R7800] resting
quexpress
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 16:21    Post subject: Reply with quote
msoengineer wrote:
quexpress wrote:

Thank you

Hit the remove button.

The Virtual Interfaces are used to create "guest" networks or other specific use cases to create a WDS network. Both require more knowledge of what you are doing and require other active steps to make the virtual interfaces work. This is where you need to read the wiki's to learn more about those features/modes.

That's great to hear! I have lots of reading to do.
Thanks for the insight! Much appreciated! Cool

DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 18:41    Post subject: Re: Newbie questions with my freshly flashed Linksys EA8500 Reply with quote
quexpress wrote:

Sorry. I'm a newbie just like you and am unable to give you a reason for which this worked. I chose one at random and it worked.
Good luck!

Wow. I tried it now with the image that blkt linked and it just worked. Now I have 1.1.4.167984 installed and everything works fine. Didn't even reset the settings. Now let's see if the bad 2.4GHz introduced with newer firmwares is a thing of the past (or the future depending how you look at it). If not I'm going to go the next step and will flash dd-wrt.
Thanks again.
quexpress
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 18:47    Post subject: Re: Newbie questions with my freshly flashed Linksys EA8500 Reply with quote
drame wrote:
quexpress wrote:

Good luck!

Wow. I tried it now with the image that blkt linked and it just worked. Now I have 1.1.4.167984 installed and everything works fine. Didn't even reset the settings. Now let's see if the bad 2.4GHz introduced with newer firmwares is a thing of the past (or the future depending how you look at it). If not I'm going to go the next step and will flash dd-wrt.
Thanks again.

I'm very happy to hear that my "newbie random pick" helped someone. Very Happy

DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2020 17:59    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi,

After having followed msoengineer’s suggestions and also copying the “BEST WIFI SETTINGS” shown at https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=1198757#1198757
I must say that I am very satisfied with the performance of my router.
I do, however, have a very newbie question. I noticed that the Reboot button on my DD-WRT GUI screen is red. Is this normal, or does it indicate a glitch somewhere?
Thank you!

DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2020 18:30    Post subject: Reply with quote
reboot button is always red
msoengineer
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2020 22:58    Post subject: Reply with quote
I am locking this thread from further comments and marking this post as Solved.

This doesn't need to turn into a run on topic with constant questions. TL:DR is not an excuse and more time should be taken to read. This dumpster fire ends here.

[R7800] resting
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: