ASUS RT-N16

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
serhito
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2020 19:36    Post subject: ASUS RT-N16 Reply with quote
I have followed the instructions to setup the ASUS RT-N16 but I am having a couple of issues. I was able to get to where I wanted it to be, all installed. I then wanted to disable the wifi signal, since I just need the router to work with open vpn and do split tunneling. After I disabled the wifi, I would not be able to access the router via ethernet. I can ping it, but cant go back to the dd-wrt settings page.
I then restarted the whole installation even back down to ASUS default. But now, the wifi will not come on no matter what. Light is off.
Any suggestions ?
Thanks
Sponsor
mwchang
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2020 4:42    Post subject: Re: ASUS RT-N16 Reply with quote
serhito wrote:
I have followed the instructions to setup the ASUS RT-N16 but I am having a couple of issues. I was able to get to where I wanted it to be, all installed. I then wanted to disable the wifi signal, since I just need the router to work with open vpn and do split tunneling. After I disabled the wifi, I would not be able to access the router via ethernet. I can ping it, but cant go back to the dd-wrt settings page.
I then restarted the whole installation even back down to ASUS default. But now, the wifi will not come on no matter what. Light is off.

Because you disabled wifi before going back to Asus' stock firmware? Um... How about a factory reset?

How did you access your router via ethernet? Using Window$?? Could you ping the router? Was your Window$ PC using the right IP address and netmask? Did you setup static DHCP?

I don't use VPN, maybe your VPN settings in Window$ caused that connection problem? Better disable VPN in Window$.

A factory reset might be the simplest solution, if your router was not bricked.

OTOH:

Which DD-WRT build did you install? What instructions were you talking about? The WiFi? The Router Database?

Asus RT-N16 upgrading trouble [SOLVED]
https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=325416

May the Force and farces be with you! Live long and proper!

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/changmanwai
SETI@Home profile: http://setiathome.berkeley.edu/view_profile.php?userid=211832
serhito
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2020 14:35    Post subject: Reply with quote
So let me try to be more specific on what I did...

-flashed the ASUS RT-N16 firmware with their application on a Windows 10 system.
- reset to factory defaults through ASUS web UI
- flashed the 22118 with the ASUS application.
- factory default reset in dd-wrt UI
- upgraded firmware with 21530
- upgraded firmware with 40559 big
- configured openvpn in dd-wrt (i am not running it on my computer)
- disabled the wifi

That's when I couldn't access through ethernet, which is how I was accessing it the whole time.
I could PING it and it would reply, but couldnt get the dd-wrt to come up again.

I then tried some of the resets, went back to basic ASUS firmware, but the wifi will not turn back on. Can't see a signal and/or light does not come on.

My ultimate goal is to put that router between my modem and my current router. I want to split tunnel some websites through the vpn but not the rest of the traffic.

Can you just tell me what the real factory reset procedure is ? There are so many conflicting info.
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2020 19:10    Post subject: Reply with quote
I think I'm going to ask the site admins to take the router database offline since people cannot read the entire page before proceeding. The disclaimer was added for a reason. You should probably try something more like 43516 for your upgrade. Also, the wiki says NOT to do any resets after the transition firmware.

https://dd-wrt.com/support/router-database/ wrote:
DISCLAIMER

This database may not have up-to-date information and may even recommend a build which might cause issues. As such, you should check the device specific forum (Broadcom, Atheros, MediaTek, etc.) first before flashing any build recommended in this database. There you will find build specific topics that discuss any issues with a particular build/release. For more up-to-date firmware files, please visit the firmware faq.

YOU HAVE BEEN GIVEN FRIENDLY AND FAIR NOTICE

Firmware FAQ

Where Do I Download Firmware?

https://wiki.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Asus_RT-N16

---------------------------------------------------------

Linux User #377467 counter.li.org / linuxcounter.net
serhito
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2020 22:48    Post subject: Reply with quote
Could be wrong but I am sensing some frustration on your end.
As a disclaimer on my end, I would not be on this forum if I knew exactly what I am doing. My main occupation is clearly not computing, so if you don't have the patience with newbies, then make it an expert forum for people that don't need that help.

Just my 2 cents.

Thanks for the advice though. You didnt answer all my question, but i'll go back for some further reading on my own.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: