Available Router/APs with current dd-wrt Support

Goto page 1, 2  Next
sam.vanratt
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 19:12    Post subject: Available Router/APs with current dd-wrt Support Reply with quote
Hello folks
I was asked to advise an administrator from a small hotel how they could deploy a good deployed WLAN (2,4GHz was asked but nice to offer 5GHz as well).
Of course it has to be budget. As the uplink is ADSLv2 (16Mit down/1.5MBit up) performance is of no concern.
Infrastructure offer freeRADIUS (hence WPA2-ENT), DHCP, DNS) so a simple AP would be OK. Gridpower is everywhere available so no POE is needed. No VLANs are asked so far. I do not plan to offer a meshed/roaming WLAN, so every room/floor will have it's unique SSID+Channel.
Does anyone have a company/type which is a) available and supported by dd-wrt?
I have searched so far and found the TP-Link WR841 (only V14 are available for sale) or the Archer C5 1200 (V2.x is only available). Better advises?

Cheers
Sam
Sponsor
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 20:01    Post subject: Reply with quote
Neither of those are currently supported.

Router Database

Supported Devices Wiki

Current Release - 43516

Keep in mind that there are some "supported" devices that are not working or able to be flashed (i.e. TL-WR1043N(v5))
... one that I am trying to figure out what the magic voodoo is going to be required to flash.
You may have to look at the list and look on eBay or Amazon to get any luck.

DD-WRT Releases 2023 (PolitePol)
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (RSS Everything)

----------------------
Linux User #377467 counter.li.org / linuxcounter.net
sam.vanratt
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 20:05    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi kernel-panic69
I'm aware of the difference and not supported status (meaning I will not buy them as I need supported devices), that's why I asked for current available modells. As I'm not limited to any mfc I'd chose any. The search do not really help me as I have to look into the mfc which version is current and then comparing it with the wiki/router database. It's easier to ask the community what they buy currently for low-end usage.
Cheers
Sam
Alozaros
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 21:31    Post subject: Reply with quote
as KP69 suggested you have to do your homework... otherwise get Netgear R7800, second hand will do...
those that you checked are very basic and missing features...R7800 has all the features...

TP-Link WR1043NDv2 -Gargoyle OS 1.15.x AP,DNS,QoS,Quotas
Qualcomm-Atheros
Netgear XR500 --DD-WRT 55460 Gateway/DoH,Forced DNS,AP Isolation,4VLAN,Ad-Block,Firewall,Vanilla
Netgear R7800 --DD-WRT 55460 Gateway/DoT,AD-Block,Forced DNS,AP&Net Isolation,x3VLAN,Firewall,Vanilla
Netgear R9000 --DD-WRT 55363 Gateway/DoT,AD-Block,AP Isolation,Firewall,Forced DNS,x2VLAN,Vanilla
Broadcom
Netgear R7000 --DD-WRT 55460 Gateway/SmartDNS/DoH,AD-Block,Firewall,Forced DNS,x3VLAN,VPN
NOT USING 5Ghz ANYWHERE
------------------------------------------------------
Stubby DNS over TLS I DNSCrypt v2 by mac913
blkt
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 22:57    Post subject: Reply with quote
Find a used R7800 or a cheaper older EA8500 if you are comfortable with opening it up for an initial serial flash.
sam.vanratt
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2020 5:10    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi Alozaros
ebay/second hand will not do as i need about 20-30 pieces (each room one). Features are not wanted or needed: simple 2.4GHz WLAN is sufficent; as the bandwidth over all is only 16Mbit total even 11g would be fine and well. What features did you mean?

I'm quite willing to do my homework but a starting point will/do help what is currently available to buy AND supported by default from dd-wrt.
The netgear is too pricy to argue for no wanted feature and too much antennas.
Cheers
Sam
Alozaros
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2020 10:04    Post subject: Reply with quote
just as a WAP https://wiki.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Wireless_access_point

have a look at:
Tplink_tl-wr841ndv series
tplink_tl-wr1043nd v2 or v3
even tplink_tl-wr740 series will do well

otherwise, to avoid mass radio mess (30 wi fi radios) and congestion, get a 2-3 R7800, as they have a powerful radios...
the final option is, to use a boosters or antenna instead and than with that speed limit, any router will do...

make sure you check those links KP-69 suggested...

Qualcomm-Atheros
Netgear XR500 --DD-WRT 55460 Gateway/DoH,Forced DNS,AP Isolation,4VLAN,Ad-Block,Firewall,Vanilla
Netgear R7800 --DD-WRT 55460 Gateway/DoT,AD-Block,Forced DNS,AP&Net Isolation,x3VLAN,Firewall,Vanilla
Netgear R9000 --DD-WRT 55363 Gateway/DoT,AD-Block,AP Isolation,Firewall,Forced DNS,x2VLAN,Vanilla
Broadcom
Netgear R7000 --DD-WRT 55460 Gateway/SmartDNS/DoH,AD-Block,Firewall,Forced DNS,x3VLAN,VPN
NOT USING 5Ghz ANYWHERE
blkt
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2020 11:51    Post subject: Reply with quote
https://wikidevi.wi-cat.ru/TP-LINK_Archer_A7_v5.x
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2020 12:00    Post subject: Reply with quote
Even the newer TL-WR940v3/TL-WR941v6 will do if you can find them en masse. I just flashed one that I acquired to test for an "issue":

https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=1209215#1209211

If you can find any of the TL-WR*4*N*vX 4MB flash devices listed in the Supported Devices Wiki and downloads I linked earlier, you should be good - save and except for the TL-WR1043Nv5 as I believe the stock firmware is locked, although OpenWRT will flash to it just fine for whatever reason Rolling Eyes.

FWIW, even the old workhorse WRT54* series devices that are still supported would work as wired Access Points, but the Atheros TP-Links would probably work better.

blkt wrote:
This would possibly be the ideal edge router to link the rest to and through.

----------------------
Alozaros
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2020 12:56    Post subject: Reply with quote
i didn't suggested TL-WR940 series, deliberately...!!!
my personal expi with v3 was crap, it didnt make a day..had to go back to stock...well that was a time ago for a friend...it was not happy with its radio...and was crashing...on a few builds i tested...

also many other issues reported with 940 series...
while 1043v2 and above...up to 4 i believe, are ok and stable as a fk..

Archer C7 is the same SoC as 1043v2-4, but has an extra 5Ghz radio...and as this is not an a requirement...it's an extra

for WAP i always use 740 series, as i don't know what else to do with them and i have a few, they are very cheap as a second hand too....just make sure they are supported...the only downside of those is they cannot serve too many WI-FI clients as 740 is a single stream router...but in your case it wont be an issue...

Qualcomm-Atheros
Broadcom
NOT USING 5Ghz ANYWHERE
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2020 14:11    Post subject: Reply with quote
I have further testing to do on the 940v3 as far as wireless goes, but unless it was a recent build after all of the atheros driver updates, there's no telling what was up when you tinkered with that one for your mate. Will need to test to ensure that wireless and ethernet can talk to each other properly, for one. The initial issue I had was connecting more than one wired LAN client in general, but the startup script I wound up putting together seemed to make everything work correctly. Still looking at what to fix there, outside of going back to the factory firmware drivers or bumping to a 4.x kernel. Going to play with it some more later. Nearly all of that class of router (TL-WR*4*N*) are better supported by OpenWRT out of the box, but people don't like LuCI.

----------------------
sam.vanratt
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2020 15:40    Post subject: Reply with quote
Alozaros wrote:
just as a WAP https://wiki.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Wireless_access_point

have a look at:
Tplink_tl-wr841ndv series
tplink_tl-wr1043nd v2 or v3
even tplink_tl-wr740 series will do well

otherwise, to avoid mass radio mess (30 wi fi radios) and congestion, get a 2-3 R7800, as they have a powerful radios...
the final option is, to use a boosters or antenna instead and than with that speed limit, any router will do...

make sure you check those links KP-69 suggested...

Hi Alozaros
the TPlink 841 was one of my first findings, unlucky the available Versions (Marvell based) are not supported. Thanks for the other hints. Maybe some reseller still provide a small stock of them.
The problems with "boosted senders" are still the deaf ears on receiving, so both sides have to be boosted to get anything meaningful out. As the rooms are with thick walls I will go for a channel stepping (1, 5, 9, 13) and small senders per room instead of floor wide sender with big sender/antennas. I think that should work as well. 11ac would be great as walls shield good for that frequency, but therefore he would need more budget.
Cheers
Sam
sam.vanratt
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2020 15:54    Post subject: Reply with quote
blkt wrote:

Hi blkt
I do personally use the C7 modells on some places in my house as the 5+2.4GHz sender are quite good and the ext. Antennas for 5GHz make them ideal for my funny tryout antennas (butterfly, biquad...) and quite affordable.
This might be the best hint up to now, as the A7 + C7 is still sold (germany), would provide both nets and work acceptable stable in my experience (sometimes with WPA2-pers the local auth is not working anymore; a reboot fixes this; with RADIUS it might work better).
Thanks!
Sam
sam.vanratt
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2020 16:03    Post subject: Reply with quote
kernel-panic69 wrote:
Even the newer TL-WR940v3/TL-WR941v6 will do if you can find them en masse. I just flashed one that I acquired to test for an "issue":

https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=1209215#1209211

If you can find any of the TL-WR*4*N*vX 4MB flash devices listed in the Supported Devices Wiki and downloads I linked earlier, you should be good - save and except for the TL-WR1043Nv5 as I believe the stock firmware is locked, although OpenWRT will flash to it just fine for whatever reason Rolling Eyes.

FWIW, even the old workhorse WRT54* series devices that are still supported would work as wired Access Points, but the Atheros TP-Links would probably work better.

blkt wrote:
This would possibly be the ideal edge router to link the rest to and through.

Hi kernel-panic69
the problem always seems the easy to get in one go with the older modells. The WRT54GL is still resold and would be sufficent AND proved a hundred times. As .11g is enough, the sender power trimming helps to be "a few rooms only". I just checked and I'd get in a shop 50 pieces at once; flashing them is not my problem so now I've two affordable and available solutions: ArcherA/C7 or the old trusty WRT54GL.
A few as cold spares and that's it.
great!
Sam
Per Yngve Berg
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2020 18:17    Post subject: Reply with quote
This looks nice. AP and wired outlet in a wall mounted power outlet.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000492833218.html
Goto page 1, 2  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 1 of 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> General Questions All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: